Author Topic: Modify Non-Optic Kydex Holster into Optic Cut?  (Read 284 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Modify Non-Optic Kydex Holster into Optic Cut?
« on: September 26, 2022, 09:08:22 AM »
As most of us, I have a ridiculously large holster collection, mainly Kydex at this point. I have also been migrating to optics on my pistols.

I really don't want to buy new holsters just for an optic. I've been checking some youtubz videos on modifying non-optic cut Kydex to optic cut. I'm just wondering if anyone here has done that and what your results were. I'm gonna probably give it a try with one of my cheaper holsters and see how she goes.

At this point, I don't understand why the Kydex holster places just don't cut most everything with an optic cut. It seems like with most "normally shaped" pistols, there's no reason not to. Though I was just looking at an OWB holster for a pistol I just bought, and I notice that the holster maker normally does a 12deg cant, but specifies that if you want an optic cut, you can only have a neutral cant. I'm not sure I understand that, but maybe there are reasons not to optic cut everything.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Modify Non-Optic Kydex Holster into Optic Cut?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »
I did.  My Dad put an optic on his P30 last year while he was visiting, and he really liked his existing holster.  I just laid the gun over the holster, drew the "edges" of the optic on with a pencil, and went at it with my Dremel and cut off wheel.  Obviously, go slow, and take off less then needed.  I ended up doing three passes to get the clearance just right.  Using a straight edge and pencil helped me get nice lines.  When I was done, I knocked of the frayed parts with a medium polishing bit, and then hit the raw edge real quick with my butane torch.  that gave it that glossy, rounded edge the rest of the holster had.  Took maybe 15 min, start to finish, and looked factory when I was done and works fine.  The only thing is, obviously, there's no sweat shield on the optic, if you like that kind of thing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 10:53:34 AM »
Good tip on the torch. I have a bunch of polishes for the Dremel that I use for metal work. I might see how they do to smooth out the cut. I will definitely be going for tiny bites at a time.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 12:30:47 PM »
Unless the holster has some odd stiffening ribs or folds to add structural rigidity or a belt clip that attaches to the location of the proposed cuts, I see no reason why cutting some of the kydex away to clear an optic would be a problem. I'd just say go slow with the fitting - you can always remove a little bit more if you need more clearance, but it's hard to add it back if you cut too much.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 04:06:29 PM »

At this point, I don't understand why the Kydex holster places just don't cut most everything with an optic cut. It seems like with most "normally shaped" pistols, there's no reason not to....maybe there are reasons not to optic cut everything.

I found one maker that does optic-cut all the things, and won't make them otherwise. Don't recall the name.

The reason I'd not want an optic cut on my holsters, at least the IWB type, is that I’d worry the kydex wouldn’t stick up past the edge of my waistband. Theoretically, at least, that could lessen rigidity, and might lead to fabric getting pulled into the holster, or blocking re-holstering.

I admit I’m speaking in ignorance, having no experience with reflex/red dot sighted pistols. I guess the optic cut isn’t a problem for people that actually use those sights on their carry guns, but since I don’t have an optic on my guns, I’d rather not deal with the issue.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 10:07:50 PM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 09:18:36 PM »
I’ve modified a couple using a dremel tool.  Seems easy enough.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 09:44:47 PM »
I was thinking about modifying one, but I put off buying the optic I was planning to get. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge