Author Topic: A Kindle for Reading and Writing  (Read 423 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A Kindle for Reading and Writing
« on: September 30, 2022, 09:29:52 AM »
Amazon is releasing a new Kindle, the Scribe, that is a Kindle with note taking capability. It remains to be seen how it does in the real world, but it definitely caught my interest.

I mostly read on my Kindle nowadays. This is just me, but I have a whole evening ritual about nesting into my reading chair for an hour or so before I hit the rack. I don't know how many times while reading I have wanted to make some note to look something up later, and then have to get my fat ass out of the chair and find a notepad and pen. Obviously I could just keep the dead tree notepad near my reading chair, bit I like this idea of storing the notes directly on the Kindle, which to me, would be less disruption of my reading time.

Anyway, I'll be watching to see how it does, as I was looking at updating my current Kindle regardless, and was looking at the Oasis for the larger pad and actual page buttons instead of screen swiping. I had buttons on my first (maybe second?) gen Kindle and much preferred them to the touchscreen page turning.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BS26B8B/

(Edited to remove unneeded fluff off URL. SM)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 08:21:46 PM by HeroHog »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: A Kindle for Reading and Writing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 10:08:20 AM »
I was mildly interested...

Until I saw the price.

Most of my reading is done in bed, before I turn turn out the light, which means that taking a note in any form would be more than a bit of a pain in the butt.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 10:44:16 AM »
I love my kindles, but...

That is a lot of money for something that be more easily done with pencil and a pad.

And it doesn't even have page turn buttons that I can see.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:06:11 AM »
"And it doesn't even have page turn buttons that I can see."

My Paperwite, a Gen 3 or 4, I think, doesn't have page turn buttons, either. You swipe left or right on the screen.

Took quite a bit of getting used to at first, but I now like it.

Except... if you forget and lay it down face down, or lay something on top of it, and it's still on, there's a very good chance it will advance a BUNCH of pages all at one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 01:57:36 PM »
Like Jerry Seinfeld, I keep a notepad on my nightstand for those 'tween moments when the brain is starting to relax and get clear.

And like Jerry Seinfeld, I sometimes  have to translate "Bifflnog per zignotch cornfield forglenen avenue."

And google maps showed no Forglenen Avenue the next morning.

I didn't bother looking up "cornfield."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 06:21:44 PM »
I want a keyboard, even a small keyboard, that will work with one. Because I type a damn sight faster than I can write.
Blog under construction

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 11:14:28 AM »
I think I'll stick with my pretentiously-overpriced Moleskine notebooks for now.

By the way, when posting Amazon links, you only need to go as far as the ASIN in the URL. You don't need the rest of that search criteria gobbledegook.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BS26B8B/
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!