Author Topic: I've seen some stupid money wastes before, but this may top the list...  (Read 1522 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: I've seen some stupid money wastes before, but this may top the list...
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2022, 05:27:16 PM »
I would assume that in the next year or so a top of the line fridge will auto order groceries as they need to be restocked. Within the decade the bot will show up to autonomously place them in there. The new world was going so great until your fridge turned you into the feds for stockpiling too much food.

"I think he is harboring Joooos, or magapublicans!"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 05:36:19 PM »
The fridge I have now is the first non-base model I've ever had. No real fancy stuff - just an icemaker and an inside the fridge water dispenser. I love the icemaker but I could have done without that water dispenser - it is an absolute pain to use because of the button for water. You've gotta hold like 30lbs of pressure on the stupid thing. Major complaint in the reviews for my model. I would have rather had none or one in the door.

I was limited on fridge choices because the idiots that built the house made a non-standard fridge opening and it would probably cost me like $30K to remodel the kitchen to fix that. So I had to go for a slightly smaller than standard width and depth fridge for the space. VERY limited options to choose from.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2022, 07:32:59 PM »
You can now buy a Samsung refrigerator at Lowes for $2,000 and you "personalize" it with "artistic" upper door panels and custom lower door colors...

To the tune of nearly an extra $1,000.

The stuff my grandkids make for us is free, and I'd rather have it up there anyway.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2022, 09:28:05 PM »
I saw a commercial for that some weeks ago. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. People spend all kinds of money on getting their kitchens to look just right. Especially since all these home remodeling tv shows have come like a plague upon the land.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2022, 10:32:11 PM »
Was talking to an appliance repairman - he said while Samsung consumer electronics like phones and TVs are pretty good, their large kitchen appliances - aren't. He claimed LG were better. (I have a Samsung phone and TV and they've been fine. My LG 4k blu-ray player is OK, but has that hardwired Cinavia crap in it.)

Basically, I differ from K-frame in " . . . what I want from my refrigerator" only in that I sort of like the internal automatic ice maker. I'm a little bit limited in choices since my home was designed for a 33" wide fridge and the majority seem to be 36" these days. Still have a number of choices - don't know if I'd go with a top freezer or a bottom freezer model.

My kitchen appliances came with the house, purchased in 1996. So far, so good, but I've been sort of keeping tabs on what's going on with new appliances. I don't want a video screen, I don't want to run my washer and dryer from a touch screen on my fridge, I don't really want "through the door" water and ice because it takes up so much internal volume, and I sure as heck DON'T want a built in COFFEE MAKER using K-cups in the door! Too much stuff to go wrong. (I also don't have an internet connected bidet like Mike apparently does from his post . . . I really hope he doesn't use it for streaming video or podcasts.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2022, 10:51:49 PM »

Basically, I differ from K-frame in " . . . what I want from my refrigerator" only in that I sort of like the internal automatic ice maker.

Same. I don't want to bother with filling and emptying ice cube trays.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2022, 11:46:31 PM »
I would like a fridge that won't make my food start rotting at random intervals.... but that appears to be too much for modern appliances.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2022, 07:01:00 AM »
I'm still waiting for them to come up with a better name for it than "internet of things."  ;/

Skynet

When the machines rise up, your toaster oven is coming for you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2022, 07:04:19 AM »
"I also don't have an internet connected bidet like Mike apparently does from his post . . . I really hope he doesn't use it for streaming video or podcasts."

Check your e-mail. There's a message for you.

:O

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2022, 09:11:21 AM »
"I also don't have an internet connected bidet like Mike apparently does from his post . . . I really hope he doesn't use it for streaming video or podcasts."

Check your e-mail. There's a message for you.

:O

:rofl:
Forwarded (via anonymous email account) to Brandon and his cohorts. You'll be famous!  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2022, 11:06:07 AM »
I can tell you that having our bidet attached to the refrigerator makes dinner parties - er - interesting.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2022, 11:12:27 AM »
and without the kid-killer doors.

Ok, but keep the look.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2022, 12:54:31 PM »
Bidet?

I thought he meant he had two attached dets.  As in "bicycle."

ETA Actually, come to think of it, that area probably has a higher percentage of homes with bidets since it is pretty "continenal."

(That's "force" not "pressure."  Pressure is a rate ("ratio") "per" something. We need to determine the contact area of the water button to determine pressure.)

Pedantically yours,

Terry, 230RN  LOL
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:21:09 PM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2022, 12:56:59 PM »
I can tell you that having our bidet attached to the refrigerator makes dinner parties - er - interesting.
Serve a lot of Mexican food at your dinner parties, eh?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2022, 03:28:04 PM »
"Internetness" does it for me.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2022, 04:25:32 PM »
I like separate appliances. One thing goes down, the others still work.

I have a small hole for my fridge. I have a small fridge, maybe 5'3" high. Maybe. But it is the right width. I'll be replacing it next year, since it is starting to show age (probably over 20 years, just guessing). I think I paid $100 for it back about 10 or so years ago, from a guy who was clearing out appliances from a redo of an assisted living apartment complex.

Now... What would be interesting would be a kegerator with a scale - when the keg starts to approach "empty," they send a fresh one.
Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2022, 04:57:01 PM »
Just a little veer here:  We bought a Ninja air fryer recently.  That thing cooks stuff so well, especially stuff I grilled, I'm gonna toss my gas grill out by the curb and give it away.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2022, 07:36:29 PM »
Re "The Internet Of It All" above...

It just so happens this afternoon I was looking for a type of service company on-line and found one and they gave their phone number, but the only location indicated was by latitude and longitude.

39.7661-105.07721

WTF?  Then the 39 and 105 jumped out at me and I caught on.

No street address at all without tedious further digging.

I sure hope that won't get to be a standard thing.  I like FTF contacts and it seems like a lot of companies force you to communicate through their drop-down menus... which rarely cover your problem.
Yeah, Covid, blah-blah-blah.

About a year ago I decided to contact a company through their Colorado "Agent For Service" listed by the Secretary Of State just to "conquer" their effing cloak and dagger location and menu-driven inadequate phone system.

Took a while, but a real person finally contacted me directly.

Triumph.  Yay, Terry !

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 07:50:57 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2022, 12:42:09 PM »
"I'm still waiting for them to come up with a better name for it than "internet of things."

How about...

Special Home Information Technology

Or...

Your *expletive deleted*it system.

Perd Hapley

• friend