Author Topic: Post your mid-term updates  (Read 11310 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Post your mid-term updates
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2022, 12:47:31 AM »
That illiterate,fat, racist... thing got soundly trounced in the Ga governor race.  Again.  I am pleased.

And she conceded. Yeah, hell may have just frozen over.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2022, 12:51:14 AM »
Biden will have someone to talk to with Fetterman
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2022, 12:52:50 AM »
And it could be 52-48 Ds. WI may be going blue
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2022, 01:08:55 AM »
Better hope no one on the SC dies anytime soon.
Because they're bound to put in the most flaming leftists imaginable to replace them.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2022, 01:13:40 AM »
Justice Beto
Justice Abrams
Justice Clinton
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2022, 05:36:10 AM »
Well at least JD Vance won the Senate race in Ohio.

Also, DeWine sent that asshat Whaley packing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2022, 07:28:56 AM »
It appears as if the Brandon "hide in the basement and don't talk to anybody" strategy is working in Arizona. Thin margin, but most seem to be calling it for Katie Hobbs.

2022 will be known as the election that put the most people who can't form a cogent sentence into office. Just to keep Brandon company.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2022, 08:01:04 AM »
This is absolutely insane. The economy is, supposedly, the single most important thing Americans are worried about across the board, the Democrats get lousy ratings on handling the economy, and yet the Democrats are basically out *expletive deleted*ing performing across the board.

Republicans may end up controlling the House, but this is, literally, a *expletive deleted*ing victory for the Democratic party.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2022, 08:05:44 AM »
Republicans may end up controlling the House, but this is, literally, a *expletive deleted*ing victory for the Democratic party.

Exactly how I feel. Because we all know how the establishment Rs work. If we get a slim majority, we all know that for every important piece of legislation, there will be at least 20 Rs who will vote with the Ds "because we need to come together". With the senate in a dead heat, that moron Harris may still have a tie-breaking vote, which means very little may change.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2022, 08:39:18 AM »
The nation's 4 worst governors (Hochul, Wittmer, Pritzker, and Newsom) were re-elected. I no longer feel sorry for the people of NY, MI, IL and CA.

I remember Pritzker of IL put "two in a boat" covid restrictions in place for recreational boating in Illinois. When questioned about (for example) a family of five - two parents and three young children all from the same household - he said no more than 2 of those 5 family members could be in the same boat. Covid, you know. Shows you what kind of jackass that fat ***k is.

At least DeSantis (FL), Abbot (TX), Kemp (GA), and DeWine (OH) won those governor's races. Kari Lake is trailing slightly behind Hobbs but only 68% of the vote is in so far. (Delays do NOT encourage faith in election integrity!!)

Tshibaka currently has a slight lead over Murkowski in Alaska - if she holds it, it will mean an R replacing an R(ino).

A commentator on the radio said that over the last 10 years, D's invested something like 200 million dollars trying to get Beto elected to something, anything, in TX, and have nothing to show for it. (Don't know where that number came from, but it sounds a little high to me.)

There was also some talk that Mitch McConnell helped some D's win by keeping campaign funds away from R's he didn't like.

. . . Because we all know how the establishment Rs work. If we get a slim majority, we all know that for every important piece of legislation, there will be at least 20 Rs who will vote with the Ds "because we need to come together" . . .
QFT.  =(

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2022, 08:41:34 AM »
I'm thinking this Roe vs Wade business energized the dem base and the timing couldn't of been worse. Gave them something to bit onto to. Without it the dems wouldn't have had something to rally the troops around.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2022, 08:43:47 AM »
There was also some talk that Mitch McConnell helped some D's win by keeping campaign funds away from R's he didn't like.

I place some blame with him as well, for kiboshing them to keep the "wrong" Rs out of the club. Gotta keep that establishment boat on an even keel.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2022, 08:46:28 AM »

Republicans may end up controlling the House,

Just looked at the map and I'm getting the same vibes from the House race map as I was from the Senate map last night.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2022, 08:57:28 AM »
Looking at my neighbor to the south, both the Oregon governor and the Oregon gun control measure are too close to call right now.  I am at least somewhat encouraged that the gun control measure was not a runaway winner.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2022, 08:59:39 AM »
The real take away from this race is that Democracy won't be allowed to divert us from a lucrative war.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2022, 09:06:51 AM »
If the Ds get the senate and the house a RvW type bill will be law within days and you can kiss the 2nd and much of the 1st goodbye. Then it's on to the Great Green 3th World Future. You peasants will just have to eat Chef Boyardee and buy an electric car.
I need something stronger than caffeine in my coffee this morning
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 10:53:42 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2022, 09:09:51 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/09/us/politics/republican-election-results.html

From the article:

All the conditions were there for a wave, but in the end Republicans appeared to have generated no more than a red ripple.

At the end of a campaign in which the fundamental conditions for Democrats seemed dire — inflation at a 40-year high, an unpopular president — Republicans could do no better than to end the evening still scratching here and there for the seats they needed to win control of the House, the minimum they could call a victory.

All indications were that they would end up at best with one of the weakest performances in decades by the out-of-power party against a first-term president’s party, a stark contrast to Republican gains of 54 House seats against President Bill Clinton in 1994 and 63 seats against President Barack Obama in 2010.

Abortion proved to be the motivator Democrats believed it would be, helping to boost a number of Democratic candidates who leaned into the issue, including Representative Abigail Spanberger of Virginia, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, Josh Shapiro, who won the governor’s race in Pennsylvania, and Senator Patty Murray of Washington.

Voters in Michigan, Kentucky, California and Vermont were on track to preserve or expand abortion rights through votes on ballot measures.

And in Wisconsin and North Carolina, Republicans fell short of state legislative supermajorities that would have allowed the party to pass partisan priorities like abortion bans, overriding the governor’s veto.

Exit polls indicated that overall, the economy and inflation were weighing most on their minds, and they favored Republicans to fix the economic uncertainty. But abortion was a strong driver as well, with 27 percent of voters saying abortion was the most important issue to their vote.

The 60 percent of voters who said they were dissatisfied or angry about the overturning of Roe overwhelmingly supported Democrats. Voters who said they were dissatisfied but not angry were more split between Democrats and Republicans.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2022, 09:12:52 AM »
If the Ds get the senate and the house a RvW type bill will be law within days and you can kiss the 2nd and much of the 1st goodbye. Then it's on to the Great Green 3th World Future. You peasants will just have to eat eat Chef Boyardee and buy an electric car.
I need something stronger than caffeine in my coffee this morning

The D's HAD the House and the Senate and didn't do these things.  Hell they still have it right now.  They could call a special session and pass a RvW bill before this election's congress is seated.

My prediction is that they will continue fleecing billions of dollars, while pandering to whichever crazy small group of constituents is the loudest, or has the most TikTok followers.  We're going to continue *expletive deleted*ing around in Foreign Policy until one or two solid wars kick off, and then we'll distract everyone with that. The Fleecing, pandering, and war profiteering will be bipartisan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »
If the Ds get the senate and the house

I think the probability is high that Rs get the house by a very small margin. A GOOD majority leader might be able to do a little good, at least in blocking some things, so we might be able to get a little gridlock, which can be a good thing from the "better than nothing" perspective. A problem will be that for the most part, that "minority majority" will not only be generally ineffective, but the usual suspects in the MSM will be able to use the "republican majority" as the scapegoat for every stupid thing Brandon does.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2022, 09:17:40 AM »
These results are good for DeSantis' presidential ambitions. He not only easily won reelection but also outperformed Trump backed candidates. Trump's "kingmaker" status took a hit, I think the biggest worry now for DeSantis is whether he can keep it up or if he's "peaking too early".
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2022, 09:18:27 AM »
My prediction is that they will continue fleecing billions of dollars, while pandering to whichever crazy small group of constituents is the loudest, or has the most TikTok followers.  We're going to continue *expletive deleted*ing around in Foreign Policy until one or two solid wars kick off, and then we'll distract everyone with that. The Fleecing, pandering, and war profiteering will be bipartisan.

You are reinforcing my current philosophy of laying low in the BFE boonies of flyover country. No visiting the Alliance core worlds, no calling the feds.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2022, 09:18:49 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/09/us/politics/republican-election-results.html

From the article:

Exit polls indicated that overall, the economy and inflation were weighing most on their minds, and they favored Republicans to fix the economic uncertainty. But abortion was a strong driver as well, with 27 percent of voters saying abortion was the most important issue to their vote.

The 60 percent of voters who said they were dissatisfied or angry about the overturning of Roe overwhelmingly supported Democrats. Voters who said they were dissatisfied but not angry were more split between Democrats and Republicans.

I wonder if paying more service to Lyndsey Graham's bill, (or a similar ban abortion after 1-1.5 trimester) would have affected that.  IIRC that's still the most common opinion in the US, where as states that are acting seem to be going to one extreme or the other.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2022, 09:21:19 AM »
Looking at by-county national maps. It's shaping up as yet another case of creeping incrementalism and undue influence of population centers. A sea of red with relatively small blue sections dotted throughout.

I'm also seeing some indications of a light turnout in many locations. That's a genuine surprise given social unrest and the economy. I need to investigate further.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2022, 09:22:05 AM »
The D's HAD the House and the Senate and didn't do these things.  Hell they still have it right now.  They could call a special session and pass a RvW bill before this election's congress is seated.

IIRC they last had control of both houses and the presidency at the same time during Obama'a first term, then RvW was still law and not the issue it is now.
A full on permanent "assault weapons ban did almost passed then and a full ban is more of a priority for them now than it was then.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2022, 09:24:10 AM »
IIRC they last had control of both houses and the presidency at the same time during Obama'a first term, then RvW was still law and not the issue it is now.
A full on permanent "assault weapons ban did almost passed then and a full ban is more of a priority for them now than it was then.

They literally have that right now.