Author Topic: Post your mid-term updates  (Read 11297 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Post your mid-term updates
« Reply #277 on: November 10, 2022, 09:29:47 PM »
Thirty-three percent of Jews voted Republican in the primaries, up from 30% in 2020 and 24% in 2016. This new voting bloc proves two things:  Jews are starting to wake up to political realities and letting go of their indoctrinated belief that Democrats are the “Jewish party”

https://pjmedia.com/columns/rabbi-michael-barclay/2022/11/10/are-american-jews-finally-leaving-the-democratic-party-n1644969
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #278 on: November 10, 2022, 09:30:50 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dead-man-reelected-in-pennsylvania/ar-AA13Uc0Q

The Democrats already did that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/nov/08/uselections2000.usa27

The voters of Missouri have elected Governor Mel Carnahan to the US Senate - three weeks after he perished in a plane crash.

The late governor, a Democrat, scored a narrow victory over his living Republican challenger, incumbent Senator John Ashcroft. Their contest was both close and bitter. Mr Carnahan was a pugnacious liberal, while Mr Ashcroft was a passionate conservative. Both had won two terms as state governor.

Their long and vituperative rivalry ended when Mr Carnahan died, along with his son and an election aide, in a light aircraft crash on October 16. His death occurred too late for the ballot paper to be re-cast.

The new state governor, Roger Wilson, said that if Mr Carnahan won, his 66-year-old widow Jean would be appointed to serve Mr Carnahan's two-year term in the Senate. That is perfectly legal, though Republicans are incensed.

No candidate has ever before been posthumously elected to the Senate, though three dead candidates have previously won seats in the House of Representatives.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #279 on: November 11, 2022, 07:51:10 AM »
https://idahonews.com/news/local/jerome-county-amending-unofficial-election-night-results#

A "glitch", huh?  Suuuuuure.

District 26, which includes Blaine County (Sun Valley), of course. The lefty pimple on Idaho's ass, where jackasses like Jimmy Kimmel own fancy fishing lodges while dunking on us as hillabillies on his stupid show.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #280 on: November 11, 2022, 08:20:20 AM »
So from what I can tell, it appears both Nevada and Alaska should go red. Alaska for sure, but most of the maps I see still have it not counted, and showing 49 confirmed R seats. So if both those states go red, 51 seats. What am I missing?

I see Calif is still showing only  ~40% votes counted, with six uncalled congressional districts tending red by pretty good margins. That would just get Rs to the 216 majority.

Again, still a disappointing red wavelet, but it would be nice to have a senate with just enough Rs to negate the VP vote. At least for stuff that some Rs won't wuss out on and vote with the Ds.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #281 on: November 11, 2022, 10:08:59 AM »
So from what I can tell, it appears both Nevada and Alaska should go red. Alaska for sure, but most of the maps I see still have it not counted, and showing 49 confirmed R seats. So if both those states go red, 51 seats. What am I missing?

The 49 figure already includes AK. Many maps show AK as undecided but both candidates are Rs, it's just a question of which one.
And don't forget GA, runoff is Dec 6th
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 02:08:32 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #282 on: November 11, 2022, 10:32:59 AM »
Laxalt (R) is leading the NV Senate race but it's not officially decided.  The AZ Senate race shows Kelly (D) currently leading.  So it will probably come down to the Georgia runoff before we know who controls the Senate.

By the way, 218 seats are needed for a majority in the House.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #283 on: November 11, 2022, 12:44:54 PM »
Can anyone explain this to me?

“Elections are not run anymore like they were in the 1980s,” Fox News contributor Mollie Hemingway said on Wednesday night. “There is now [an] extensive period of voting where people who are smart are running get-out-the-vote operations every day, hauling in ballots every day. Republicans keep thinking Election Day is a single day and they think if they get everyone excited for that last day that that will be sufficient. That is not sufficient. There needs to be an effective ground game.

https://amgreatness.com/2022/11/10/the-1980s-hangover-and-the-gop/

I guess I have not kept up with new rules about voting. Campaigns are supposed to be vote-harvesting in the months leading up to election day?

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #284 on: November 11, 2022, 02:03:24 PM »
Exit polls, however, seem to contradict the idea that Trump played a major factor in the unexpected outcome. According to a comprehensive survey of more than 18,000 voters taken on November 8, 54 percent said Trump was not a factor in how they voted; 47 percent said the same of Joe Biden.

If there was a protest vote—only 28 percent said they voted Democrat to oppose Trump—it appeared to have little impact.
:O
Only 28 percent? That seems really high for midterm voters concerns about a former president.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #286 on: November 13, 2022, 08:20:54 AM »
Well, at least there's a little humor out of this mess.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #287 on: November 13, 2022, 09:28:11 AM »

- Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #288 on: November 13, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, most of the undecided House races are in California.  That does not bode well for Republican control of the House of Representatives.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #289 on: November 13, 2022, 01:58:52 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, most of the undecided House races are in California.  That does not bode well for Republican control of the House of Representatives.

And still only 50% of the votes counted there. What a charlie foxtrot.

I think we'll never again see the days where election day is the last day for a ballot to be counted, absentee, mail-in, or not, other than in a very few states with some common sense.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #290 on: November 13, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
Am I being overly optimistic if I see the possible advantages of unsettled elections in CA?

Might mean that Democratic "shoo-ins" aren't happening in Libland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #291 on: November 13, 2022, 05:04:42 PM »
Am I being overly optimistic if I see the possible advantages of unsettled elections in CA?

Might mean that Democratic "shoo-ins" aren't happening in Libland.

The "shoo-ins" might not be happening, but enough straight Dem ballots are being printed to overcome whatever deficit there is in Dem votes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #292 on: November 13, 2022, 05:13:55 PM »
The "shoo-ins" might not be happening, but enough straight Dem ballots are being printed to overcome whatever deficit there is in Dem votes.

Quit being realistic and let me live in my happy little fantasy.

Terry

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #293 on: November 13, 2022, 07:36:23 PM »
It's election season, not election day  :lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #294 on: November 13, 2022, 08:04:37 PM »
And still only 50% of the votes counted there. What a charlie foxtrot.

I think we'll never again see the days where election day is the last day for a ballot to be counted, absentee, mail-in, or not, other than in a very few states with some common sense.

Awesome. Let's all accept defeat! Black pills all around!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #295 on: November 13, 2022, 08:20:19 PM »
Awesome. Let's all accept defeat! Black pills all around!

So are you suggesting fed.gov intervention to standardize across states? Because something like a Brandon fed.gov will not make things better. If left to the states, certainly states like AZ have a hope of changing much like FL did after 2000. States like CA and NY on the other hand, are on a path that won't be changed short of the ever talked about "civil war".

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #296 on: November 14, 2022, 05:00:06 PM »
So are you suggesting fed.gov intervention to standardize across states?

No. Not sure why you'd think so.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #297 on: November 14, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »
Just read a story on Fox about the 19 remaining unsettled House races.  At least ten of those races will certainly go Democrat.  There are two or three others that might go Democrat.  I think the Democrats will narrowly hold their control of the House.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #298 on: November 14, 2022, 11:42:47 PM »
Just read a story on Fox about the 19 remaining unsettled House races.  At least ten of those races will certainly go Democrat.  There are two or three others that might go Democrat.  I think the Democrats will narrowly hold their control of the House.
Funny how long/delayed vote counts that "flip" earlier returns overwhelmingly favor democrats, isn't it? I guess that's just meant to bolster faith in election integrity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2022, 07:34:13 AM »
Looks like they are calling Arizona for Hobbs, and that a recount is likely.

Tinfoil on, as I mentioned earlier, this is one of those races that are fishy to me. Just like Trump/Biden, we have one candidate with packed rallies, doing interviews and answering questions left and right, and just animated and out there with a ridiculously enthusiastic base. The other candidate refused debates, refuses to answer question (going as far as practically tipping a restaurant table over to run and hide in a bathroom), refused all but the softest softball interviews (and being inarticulate when interviewed), and had an unenthusiastic base, in an ostensibly red state, and she's the winner.

Is there really a big "silent majority" of democrats in Arizona, or are post election night votes "being found"?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/arizona-governor-hobbs-lake-recount-state-law