Author Topic: Transporting an LCD TV  (Read 2685 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Transporting an LCD TV
« on: November 05, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »
So my grandniece is coming to visit next weekend, and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new TV before she gets here. A 65" for sure, but I've been doing a bunch of measuring, and the area that I thought might be too small might not, and I might go 75", since Samsungs of both are discounted at Costco right now, plus I have a bunch of Costco cashback to spend before the end of the year. Anyway....

I always get worried about transporting the TV myself. I have done 55" and smaller TVs in their original packaging both standing upright in the back of my truck and also "semi" laying flat in the back of my 4Runner. Never a problem. In either instance, I pack a ton of moving blankets around them, and in the truck of course, strap them down. I was curious about the laying flat thing with larger TVs, even in their factory packaging, since I guess there can be more stress on the areas where the screen meets the frame, so I hit the gazoogle.

Holy crap, man. Upright vs laying flat is like 1911 vs Glock. I think I'll end up just doing it upright in the back of the truck, up against the cab, with moving blankets everywhere. My main worry whenever I transport in the truck bed is road bumps, which are a lot less cushioned back there than in the cab. Which is why the other way for me would be to fold the rear seats in the 4Runner and shove the box in the back of that (though a 75" might not fit).

Anyway, what do you guys think?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Transporting an LCD TV
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 01:35:24 PM »
I think I'm going to let Best Buy deliver my next one. I don't have any way of getting anything larger than a 48" home.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 01:37:14 PM »
I think I'm going to let Best Buy deliver my next one. I don't have any way of getting anything larger than a 48" home.

If you go out and buy a 2023 F150 Platinum as your beater truck, you won't have that problem.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 01:57:36 PM »
If you saw how they ship them…I used to work at Walmart back in college they throw them in the back of a 53 ft trailer with everything else

I bought our 65 home laying flat in my truck bed in its box no issues.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 02:06:18 PM »
If you're decently local to the retailer, you might be able to swing free delivery as part of the deal. Even if it's not an advertised perk, most sales depts can throw a few sweeteners in the pot.

If you end up hauling yourself, upright is better. Box and packing are designed for that orientation. Only haul laying down if the box can be place flat with full support. Cushion with a heavy blanket or comforter for a bit of extra insurance.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 02:21:45 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 02:50:43 PM »
I brought my 75 home laying flat in the back of my F150. It was fine.  Took up pretty much the whole 6' bed though.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 03:15:29 PM »
I like the way you are using your grandniece's visit to justify the TV you have been wanting to buy for a long time but just couldn't pull the trigger. :)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 03:20:35 PM »
I like the way you are using your grandniece's visit to justify the TV you have been wanting to buy for a long time but just couldn't pull the trigger. :)

bob

Me too!  =D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 05:02:49 PM »
The current prices on 75" tv's are not that much higher than the prices on equivalent quality 65" TVs now; when I bought my Sony several years ago, the price differential was $1400, so I went with the 65.

I also went with a wall mount - safer than setting it on a cabinet - and at the time BestBuy had a "free delivery and installation" special I took advantage of, so no problem (for me) with transport. I saw that in the Geek Squad van, the TV carton was vertical and strapped to the side of the van so it wouldn't fall over. I don't recall seeing any special padding under the box.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 07:33:36 PM »
I finally got off my ass and decided to measure the area where I want to put the new TV.

A 65" is going to be perfect.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 03:47:03 PM »
Well, delivery problem solved. Costco currently has free shipping plus a free $100 extended warranty if you order online, so I'll just be waiting for a delivery truck next Thursday. My little grandniece will miss out, but it will be incentive for her to come visit again sooner than another year from now. :)

I went with the 75" Neo 85 series. I was actually at the warehouse today doublechecking that the warehouse price wasn't cheaper (it wasn't) and spent a large amount of time standing various distances from the 75" and 65" (my original choice) and decided to go for the humongous one. It is definitely going to be the center piece of the living room. I'm just glad that they went back to the center stand. My 55" has the end legs, and if the 75" one had those (or even the 65" one) I'd have to sink dough into a new TV stand as well, because mine would have been too short. This 75" one is going to have the screen hanging off either side by 3".

I hope this one ends up being good quality, because it's my last TV for a good long while. I won't buy another one until they come out with holo TVs.  :laugh:

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 04:00:15 PM »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 05:09:11 PM »
Yeah, but Mildred wants the other three walls replaced with TVs, Montag...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 06:06:53 PM »

=)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 06:12:08 PM »

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2022, 05:42:09 PM »
Well, it was delivered today. I'm glad I had it delivered and pissed that I didn't give up my man card and pay $30 for unboxing and setup. Holy hell. While they are making newer TVs lighter, this size still weighs in at 90lbs, and I did not consider that weight matched to the ginormous screen where I couldn't get any good handholds. It was simply too heavy for me to lift it with one hand from the bottom while the other hand stabilized the top. I would start getting it up in the air, then the giant rectangle would start to wobble and I was scared that I was going to lose balance and the thing would crash down. I couldn't figure out any way to get a two hand hold for lifting without having the thing flip on me or else putting too much pressure on the sides of the screen and busting something.

I was really stuck for a minute there, until I remembered that I had a harbor freight hydraulic lift cart in the shop. I dragged that into the house and put the TV on that. The downside was that the cart was still 8" off the ground when lowered, so I still had to do a balancing act with the TV to lift it that 8". But unlike lifting it onto the entertainment center, I didn't have to go from kneeling to standing, and was able to lift it onto the cart from kneeling. I put a bunch of pillows on the back of the cart for if I slipped.  :laugh:

After that, it was easy peasy. I just cranked the cart up even with the entertainment center and scooched the TV over to it. Still, this would have been absolutely worth $30 and being called a girl to have the delivery guys do it. A TV this size is just absolutely unwieldy for one guy.

Meanwhile,  I picked up the comparatively light as a feather 55" TV and carried it up the stairs to my bonus room, piece of cake. Weighs half as much as the new one, and I can actually get my arms around it.

As far as the TV:

Unboxing: I was really impressed with the box. I guess for these big TVs, they design the box so you don't have to lift the TV out or else cut up the box. It was almost like origami in reverse. The box was designed to fold open,  with tabs everywhere. Including a special fold out section where the stand goes. You fold that out and then slide the stand in the slot and attach it while the TV is still in the styrofoam. Really slick.

As for the stand itself, super heavy duty. The base plate is like 1/8 steel and weighs a good 15lbs. The TV seems to be very stable on the entertainment center. Nevertheless, I'm going to do a wall tie-down for it. There's a spot near the top of the back where you can mount a connecter and then strap the TV onto a wall. Earthquakes a rare here, but still, better safe than sorry.

The picture is amazing, and even my old eyes notice a difference between it and my old Q60 55" (which was amazing itself). It has autosensing for room lighting and type of content playing, which so far seems to work well, but time will tell (especially about blacks and the tendency of moviemakers to make very dark scenes these days).

I was really worried about 75" being too big for the room and the space, based on measuring dimensions before I bought it, but now that it's up there, it doesn't look as overbearing as the tape measure made me think it would be. It's definitely the centerpiece of the living room now, but not ridiculously so.

Setup was a breeze. It found all my HDMI stuff and the CAT6 instantly. It also moved my menus and apps from the old Samsung to this one. I'm a little worried about security and will be digging into submenus to turn some "convenience" stuff off that might be security problems. I've already deactivated the mic.

I'm not super crazy about the updates Samsung screen menu. Instead of just being on the bottom of the screen, it now takes up the whole dang screen. Also it seems to be slower to react than the menu on my old Samsung. Not a super big deal, since I have never been crazy about the Samsung menu anyway, and run my Netflix, Hulu, etc. off my Roku, so I just have things defaulting to that at startup.

Anyways, so far, so good. However the next time I get a TV this big, I'm just paying for unboxing and setup.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 05:58:03 PM »
Turn off motion smoothing.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2022, 05:59:16 PM »
Glad that you got it squared away. Yeah, they're lighter than the old CRT TVs, but they're still not featherlight.

I figure when I finally get mine I'll have a friend of mine come over and help me get it set up.

But, let's make sure of something...

This new TV isn't the center of the room.

Steve is the center of the room. Of any room he's in.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2022, 06:13:49 PM »
The other advantage to unboxing and setup is they generally take away the packing material so you don't have to deal with it.  Our garbage service is persnickety about styrofoam packing: you have to pack in a garbage bag and tie it off so no foam escapes.  For electronics, by the time I cut it all up to fit in the bag, that fills up the can for that week, if not into the next week.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2022, 06:38:28 PM »

Steve is the center of the room. Of any room he's in.

Well, that goes without saying.  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2022, 06:46:14 PM »
Our garbage service is persnickety about styrofoam packing: you have to pack in a garbage bag and tie it off so no foam escapes.  For electronics, by the time I cut it all up to fit in the bag, that fills up the can for that week, if not into the next week.

That's the one thing I don't have to worry about.  =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2022, 07:34:53 PM »
^^^Just be sure to stand upwind from the toxic fumes!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2022, 08:18:40 PM »
Another thing about self unboxing, big electronics box on the curb = "Steal Good Stuff Here" sign to thieves!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2022, 09:27:04 PM »
Now think about calibrating that TV - there are calibration files you can download and burn to DVD. Calibration definitely improved my picture.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain