Author Topic: Transporting an LCD TV  (Read 2639 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Transporting an LCD TV
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2022, 09:21:59 AM »
Steve is the center of the room. Of any room he's in.

All Steve needs now is a full Dolby Atmos sound system. He would appreciate that. Like really really appreciate it. And you're a terrible person if you don't get him one.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2022, 09:36:09 AM »
All Steve needs now is a full Dolby Atmos sound system. He would appreciate that. Like really really appreciate it. And you're a terrible person if you don't get him one.

Brad

Costco does have a Samsung soundbar system with Atmos on sale right now, $350, regularly $600.

Why are you guys spending all my money?!?  :mad: :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2022, 09:41:01 AM »
Costco does have a Samsung soundbar system with Atmos on sale right now, $350, regularly $600.

Because Steve can't spend it after you are gone.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2022, 09:44:03 AM »

Brad

No. Not all. He also needs a nice, new comfortable power recline couch.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2022, 09:48:07 AM »

Because we can, kind Sir. Because we can.

Besides, if you really loved Steve, you wouldn't make him suffer through a sissified pansy-ass soundbar setup. Eight grand is a pittance for your best pal.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »
No. Not all. He also needs a nice, new comfortable power recline couch.

I think he needs both.

Brad
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2022, 10:14:41 AM »
I mean clearly, Steve deserves a THX certified Atmos capable system.  Preferably one that requires an aux gen when it powers up.

That said, I got the matching Vizio Atmos soundbar system when I got the new TV last year, and it is surprisingly good to listen to, and Atmos is actually really cool.  A good soundbar will do a lot for your experience at a good price.  The new trend of wireless speakers and sub make setup really nice as well.

My soundbar has little motorized speakers on the end of the soundbar so when you select an Atmos source, you can see them whirr up to the ceiling unveiling the Atmos logos, and you know *expletive deleted*it is about to get real.  It's actually really fun, like a home version of the THX sound in 1990's movie theaters.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
I mean clearly, Steve deserves a THX certified Atmos capable system.  Preferably one that requires an aux gen when it powers up.

That said, I got the matching Vizio Atmos soundbar system when I got the new TV last year, and it is surprisingly good to listen to, and Atmos is actually really cool.  A good soundbar will do a lot for your experience at a good price.  The new trend of wireless speakers and sub make setup really nice as well.

My soundbar has little motorized speakers on the end of the soundbar so when you select an Atmos source, you can see them whirr up to the ceiling unveiling the Atmos logos, and you know *expletive deleted*it is about to get real.  It's actually really fun, like a home version of the THX sound in 1990's movie theaters.

I think I can be talked into the Atmos soundbar. My hearing has degraded too much to make anything over 500 bucks a worthwhile investment. Honestly, I'm probably missing a good part of the visuals on the new TV with my aging eyes.

I had a soundbar two TVs ago, with a wireless woofer or whatever they call the big speaker, but didn't get one with the most previous TV, and was fine with the onboard sound, other than limited options for trying to make voices clear over background noise. For that alone, I'll consider an Atmos sounbar if the latest generation allows setting adjustments like that.

This TV says that it has built in Atmos that activates depending on what I'm watching. I don't quite know what that means and haven't researched it yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »
That said, I got the matching Vizio Atmos soundbar system when I got the new TV last year, and it is surprisingly good to listen to, and Atmos is actually really cool. A good soundbar will do a lot for your experience at a good price.  The new trend of wireless speakers and sub make setup really nice as well.

This in spades. It's is astonishing how much even modest sound reinforcement can add to the experience. If nothing else, a good pair of headphones, or even earbuds.

The visceral impact of well-engineered sound thorough a decent system can elevate good movies to great, and great movies to "DAMN!!" It's amazing how little you can spend and still have a really nice system, including a properly brutal subwoofer. With a little patience and some sale-watching, you could easily put together a kick ass system for under $1500. A little luck and a clearance sale or two, maybe even under a grand. Like dogmush said, there are also soundbar-based systems out with wireless surround speakers which are amazingly good.

Brad
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2022, 10:58:11 AM »
We have a Samsung soundbar on the 75" Samsung TV in the living room.  Both my wife and I are hard of hearing, especially at the higher frequencies.  The soundbar has a 'clear voice' setting that really helps us with the dialog.  We also have captions on at all times.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2022, 11:11:26 AM »
I think I can be talked into the Atmos soundbar. My hearing has degraded too much to make anything over 500 bucks a worthwhile investment. Honestly, I'm probably missing a good part of the visuals on the new TV with my aging eyes.

Don't discount the sound quality improvements of a good soundbar or system. Onboard sound on most TV's is, at best, mediocre. We have three TV's and I struggle with all of them when using onboard sound. Muddled mids make it difficult to understand conversations. Higher volume only make it worse as it's just louder, not better. Like Millcreek mentioned, the modest equalization capabilities of most midrange soundbar systems really can make a big difference.

Brad
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2022, 09:34:38 AM »
Well, a little over a week in, and I'm really glad I got the 75". As I had mentioned, just measuring before I bought it made me think, "What the hell are you doing? This is ultra-ginormous and too big for your room!" Then when I set it up I said, "Well, it's kinda big, but it's not really that bad." Then yesterday as I was walking through the living room, I thought to myself, "You know, this is actually just right." Funny how it shrunk.  :laugh:

The picture is great. I can't tell a big difference between it and my older Samsung, but that one is not even four years old. About the only difference is that this one is Neo and that one is not. Anyway, my recommendation to anyone else who may be waffling that a new TV they're looking at may be too big, it probably won't be. I guess they're kinda like gun safes.  =)

I went ahead and got the soundbar that was on sale at Costco. I think the sound is better, but honestly, both this TV and my old one have really good onboard sound. With my Samsung two TVs ago, getting the soundbar (and it was a cheap one) made a HUGE difference. With this TV, it's harder to tell. The room does "fill" with sound better, and I think that turning on the speech settings has made voices clearer. Oh, and this Samsung soundbar is also cool because it's designed so that you can set it on a Samsung TV's (of the same generation) stand, and it fits EXACTLY into that space vertically so it almost looks like it's built in to the TV. Otherwise I would have had to mount it on the wall above the TV, so this was a slick option.

I'm still not sure about Atmos. I'm not sure if I can tell, and it may be because I haven't listened to the right content. I watched Top Gun Maverick the other day on Netflix, but couldn't tell if I was getting Atmos or not, other than the TV and soundbar were telling me that it was on. Yes, I did plug into the eARC HDMI port. Maybe I'm expecting too much of a difference?

A related and really stupid question: If I'm streaming through a non-Atmos Roku, would that affect Atmos? Or will Atmos always activate as long as I'm getting sound through the TV and soundbar, regardless if I'm watching content through my older non-Atmos Roku or DVDs through my older blue ray player?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2022, 10:18:04 AM »
A related and really stupid question: If I'm streaming through a non-Atmos Roku, would that affect Atmos? Or will Atmos always activate as long as I'm getting sound through the TV and soundbar, regardless if I'm watching content through my older non-Atmos Roku or DVDs through my older blue ray player?

Are you using the soundbar as your input selector, or are you switching inputs at the TV with sound backfeeding from TV to sounbar?

Brad
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2022, 10:22:50 AM »
Are you using the soundbar as your input selector, or are you switching inputs at the TV with sound backfeeding from TV to sounbar?

Brad

To copy perd:

I plugged the soundbar into the TV, where it was immediately recognized and configured to use both the TV and soundbar combined, as Samsung apparently intended for matching Samsung components. It comes on everytime the TV comes on and shows Atmos active on its display.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2022, 10:33:53 AM »
Lol, okay.

Are the Roku box and DVD player connected to inputs on the TV, or on the soundbar?

Brad
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2022, 10:58:50 AM »
. . .  The soundbar has a 'clear voice' setting that really helps us with the dialog . . .
You know there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with the way they're making movies these days when many manufacturers are putting in hardware so viewers can HEAR dialog over the background sound effects and (mostly horrible) music the directors are demanding.

Well, a little over a week in, and I'm really glad I got the 75". As I had mentioned, just measuring before I bought it made me think, "What the hell are you doing? This is ultra-ginormous and too big for your room!" Then when I set it up I said, "Well, it's kinda big, but it's not really that bad." Then yesterday as I was walking through the living room, I thought to myself, "You know, this is actually just right." Funny how it shrunk.  :laugh:
I bought a 65" Sony 4k several years ago. At the time, the 75" version cost around $1400 more, so I went with the 65". At the store, my mother (she invited herself along to "help" me shop.  :laugh: ) said even THAT was too big for my living room, but once it was installed - she came around much like you did.

Was at Best Buy the other day and the price differential between 65" and 75" has shrunk considerably, so were I buying today, I'd get the 75" just like you did. (The 85" TVs look good, too . . . but not only do they cost more, they'd require some inconvenient adjustments to the location.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2022, 11:10:50 AM »
Lol, okay.

Are the Roku box and DVD player connected to inputs on the TV, or on the soundbar?

Brad

TV

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »
My guess is the TV is feeding Atmos-encoded signals to the soundbar regardless of incoming signal quality/quantity from a particular component. That maintains the highest possible TV/soundbar link quality.

Unfortunately, the TV's capability is likely being neutered by the Roku box and possibly the blu-ray player. If they aren't capable of decoding and passing Dolby Atmos signals, then the TV has nothing to pass through to the soundbar. The TV/soundbar link may be Atmos, but the source audio is of lesser quality. Consider it this way... If you watch an episode of Airwolf on your new TV, it still looks and sounds like an 80s TV show. You're watching the show on an Atmos-capable 4K TV, but the content itself isn't natively Atmos audio and 4K resolution.

The Roku also adds an extra layer of Maybe due to inherent limitations of provider applications (Netflix, Prime, HBO, etc). Even if you get a spiffy new Atmos-capable Roku box, the provider app must also support Atmos. Fortunately, most Roku apps are at least 5.1 surround capable, and many can now do Atmos with the number continually growing. Upgrading your Roku to match your new equipment's capability is a simple fix. Better yet, WalMart has the Roku Ultra on sale for $70.

Depending on your blu-ray player's mfg/model, you may be able to get Atmos capability with a firmware update. You should be able to access the update feature in Settings. If your player is blu-ray only, not 4K, consider upgrading. Not only will you gain the ability to play 4K content, most mid-range and better players do an impressively good job of upscaling older content for viewing on a 4K TV.

Finally, don't forget to turn off motion smoothing.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 12:03:38 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2022, 12:28:29 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about upgrading the Roku after seeing it on sale for the 70 smackers at a number of places. The DVD player is getting a little long in the tooth as well. I was already doing some research on the multi-format players, since I'm always seeing European region versions of DVDs I want for like half of the price of US region ones, or only seeing DVDs I want in non US region format.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2022, 01:01:12 PM »
The beauty of 4k/UHD blu-rays is they are region-free.

Brad
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2022, 01:06:32 PM »
The beauty of 4k/UHD blu-rays is they are region-free.

Brad

Now that's information I can use. I did not know that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2022, 01:12:18 PM »
Now that's information I can use. I did not know that.

Why? You going to transport it from region to region? :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »
Why? You going to transport it from region to region? :rofl:

How else would I do it?

Also, bummer, apparently Samsung stopped making blue ray players in 2019. Looks like one of the Sonys is a good bang for the buck right now though. A new player might be a sooner rather than later thing, if others start following Samsung's path. Not all of us live where we can reliably stream 4K. I'm well below what appears the 25mbps recommended bandwidth.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2022, 01:27:52 PM »
I have the Panasonic DP-UB820 and have been extremely happy with it. Spendy, but I was able to combine Best Buy points and an Open Box discount so it ended up about the cost of a much lower-spec unit. Probably massive overkill for your application, but it's currently on sale for $100 off and there are always a couple of Open-Box options.

Whichever unit you get, be sure to use either the included cable or a respected brand (Monoprice, Belkin, Bluejeans, etc). 4K uses a ton of bandwidth so crappy cables are a sure fire ways to cause problems. Fortunately, HDMI 2.0 spec cables are dirt cheap and 2.1 prices are dropping rapidly.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:55:05 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2022, 02:44:47 PM »
Why are you using a Roku?  Is the TV not wifi enabled?  I stream straight to the TV from the net, and from the TV eARC out to the soundbar.

As for Atmos, it made a huge difference in my room. Early on I watched a movie that had a helicopter come from behind the camera, overhead. And off into the distance, and I could hear every aspect change as it went over.