Author Topic: When did they stop making bowls you could crack an egg on?  (Read 2081 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
When did they stop making bowls you could crack an egg on?
« on: November 03, 2022, 01:41:23 PM »
Seriously - That nice smooth downward motion, and done. I've been looking for metal bowls for making omelets, and they all seem to have a big sideways lip on them, requiring a sideways motion to crack the egg, and that doesn't work very well.

Argh.

Argh - I got really good at cracking eggs during a stint of KP while on profile during basic training - I could do both hands, and I kept the cooks well supplied.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: When did they stop making bowls you could crack an egg on?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 04:13:29 PM »
I crack eggs on a flat surface, like the counter top.

You don't drive a bunch of shell shards into the egg that way if you get... overly excited.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 04:42:39 PM »
Dead set on metal? If so, the lip is ubiquitous. If you're willing to go with glass, Anchor Hocking and Pyrex both have inexpensive sets with plain rims.

I'm like K-Frame, I crack my eggs on a flat surface to keep from driving in pieces of shell. I use heavy glass mixing bowls so I usually use the inside of bowl, just under the rim.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 05:22:57 PM »
I just crack them against my forehead.  My head is the hardest thing around.  (I'm German  :rofl:)
"It's good, though..."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 06:31:20 PM »
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/blanda-blank-serving-bowl-stainless-steel-50057254/

We've got a couple of these in the 5" size. Holds maybe 6 eggs. No lip, cuts into the shell nicely.
Using more eggs generally means the yolks can be broken.  I'll smack them on the countertop and splt them into a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup for scrambling.
7-11 was a part time job.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 11:00:16 PM »
Okay - I've tried smacking them on the counter, and... I've also cleaned one off the counter. I guess I'll be heading over to midtown tomorrow to see if Ikea has any actually in stock.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 07:10:48 AM »
You're not supposed to open palm slam them onto the countertop.  :facepalm:

You can also use the flat surface on the INSIDE of the bowl.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 08:31:31 AM »
I usually crack eggs on the side of a stainless steel measuring cup and dump them in that. That way if I get a bad egg (hasn't happened for a LONG time) I don't run the risk of contaminating the whole batch of batter or whatever else I'm making. Also it's easier to spot and fish out any little bits of egg shell that my sloppy technique produces.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 01:27:58 PM »
Go hit a 2nd hand store, Fiesta Ware bowl. They are great for cracking eggs on the lip.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 05:15:27 PM »
Of course if you're serious and tired of *expletive deleted*ing around, this is how you crack some eggs...

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 05:25:05 PM »
Okay - went over to my local Ikea, and picked up three of those bowls... They appear to be nice enough, except that I'm going to have to make a hanger for them.
Blog under construction