Author Topic: 25 LA County Sheriff's Recruits on Training Run Struck by Wrong-Way Driver  (Read 538 times)

MechAg94

• friend
25 LA County Sheriff's Recruits on Training Run Struck by Wrong-Way Driver in Whittier
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/la-county-sheriffs-department-recruits-injured-whittier-crash/3035099/
The recruits, who were running in formation on a street, were part of a training program at the nearby S.T.A.R.S. Center. Witnesses said the recruits, who often train in the neighborhood, were in a four-column formation when they were hit by a SUV that veered onto the wrong side of the street, crashed into the recruits and stopped after hitting a light pole.

Twenty-five recruits were injured, including five in critical condition. Other injuries ranged from minor, including the driver, to moderate. County fire officials initially said 22 recruits were injured, but that figure was later updated to 25 by the sheriff's department.
Damn.  I hope this is a tragic accident and not some idiot targeting them.

25 sheriff’s recruits hurt, 5 critically, on training run in Whittier: ‘Devastation everywhere’
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-11-16/sheriff-cadets-jogging-in-whittier-struck-by-car-many-injured

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re: 25 LA County Sheriff's Recruits on Training Run Struck by Wrong-Way Driver
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 12:09:39 PM »
What a terrible event.  =(

The "22 year old" driver was detained at the scene, and "passed" a sobriety test. By his age there's probably not a medical condition in play, but police searched his house and questioned two women there. They're still not saying whether this will be a criminal case or a civil case.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 12:50:19 PM »
And HOW did the driver acquire his injuries, pray tell?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 03:01:26 PM »
And HOW did the driver acquire his injuries, pray tell?
He crashed his vehicle into a lamp post.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 03:27:19 PM »
Wait, Raccoon City isn't in LA County.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 03:32:05 PM »
I wonder just how many tickets he will be getting, and you can bet he will be on the sh*t list of every LE agency in Los Angeles.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 03:49:37 PM »
I know a LA County Sheriff deputy and on another forum he says there is heavy speculation that the driver did it intentionally.  The scuttlebut is that the driver was recently kicked-out of the program.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 04:12:50 PM »
Anyone else think it odd that the driver/assailant has not been identified?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 05:35:31 PM »
Anyone else think it odd that the driver/assailant has not been identified?
They DID seem pretty slow releasing that information.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/11/17/driver-arrested-for-plowing-into-sheriffs-cadets-near-whittier/

"The Sheriff’s Department said Nicholas Joseph Gutierrez was arrested by deputies just after 3 p.m. the day of the collision and added in its Thursday statement that more charges could be added."

Bail was set at 2 million dollars, so at least they didn't set him free with a handshake.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 08:26:19 PM »
He crashed his vehicle into a lamp post.

I wondered if he might have been "briskly assisted" from the vehicle.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!