Author Topic: The state of education  (Read 1029 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
The state of education
« on: November 20, 2022, 10:04:54 AM »
I am working this morning with a young lady via a local high school's program or something. When she reads, she does so while speaking the material... heavy sigh.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The state of education
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »
I remember decades ago reading something that suggested doing so improves memory retention of what you're reading.
I've tried it and I can't say for 100% certain it works but I believe it does to at least some extent
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 10:47:46 AM »
When I was in school, reading aloud was sometimes called for (of course)  . . . but people routinely moving their lips while reading were regarded as "poor readers."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »
I remember decades ago reading something that suggested doing so improves memory retention of what you're reading.
I've tried it and I can't say for 100% certain it works but I believe it does to at least some extent

That's the theory for the Pimsleur method of picking up a foreign language.  You have to vocalizing the words to really get the correct pronunciation to stick.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
My older son is graduating with an education degree in a couple of weeks, with a goal of teaching/coaching sports at the junior high level.  From listening to him, seems like kids these days have poor skills on things we considered important,  but tremendous skills in tech, etc.  Sometimes, I wonder if it's really important to memorize historic dates when everyone walks around with a device in hand that can get them that information in a moment.  And, while I can do a lot of math in my head, these kids have calculators in hand as well (despite my 6th grade math teacher spearing that I'd need to be able to calculate math and never would have a calculator in my pocket when needed). 

As for reading, that is one skills that seems to me essential despite tech advances (until neural implants render that obsolete as well).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 01:24:53 PM »
My older son is graduating with an education degree in a couple of weeks, with a goal of teaching/coaching sports at the junior high level.  From listening to him, seems like kids these days have poor skills on things we considered important,  but tremendous skills in tech, etc.  Sometimes, I wonder if it's really important to memorize historic dates when everyone walks around with a device in hand that can get them that information in a moment.  And, while I can do a lot of math in my head, these kids have calculators in hand as well (despite my 6th grade math teacher spearing that I'd need to be able to calculate math and never would have a calculator in my pocket when needed). 

As for reading, that is one skills that seems to me essential despite tech advances (until neural implants render that obsolete as well).

Having all that historical information handy when needed is a lot less useful if you can't read.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 02:56:37 PM »
My daughter teaches 6th grade. She has several students that are functionally illiterate and should in no way have been passed on to the 6th grade. The "system has failed them multiple times.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 03:06:30 PM »
To be honest, there were people who tended to read aloud when I was a kid also.  Might be more these days, but it isn't new. 

IMO, we should get rid of most truancy laws past about 9 or 10.  I have heard Texas is one of the leaders in truancy fines that mostly hit poor people.  Help those who want/need the help.  Not giving unwanted day care to people who don't. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 04:38:02 PM »
If u need a calculator to make simple change, something is wrong.
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
IF they can make change at all!!!
Give them a $2 bill or a $1 coin and they call the manager and the manager calls the cops!
Bill is $1.77, give them $2.02 and watch them melt down.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 05:41:18 PM »
I've heard (or perhaps read silently to myself) that reading aloud was once considered standard. Just googled up this:

https://www.mhpbooks.com/have-we-always-read-silently-an-interview-with-professor-daniel-donoghue/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 12:40:04 AM »
Give them a $2 bill or a $1 coin and they call the manager and the manager calls the cops!
Help by telling them the change is two bits.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 08:08:55 PM »
My daughter teaches 6th grade. She has several students that are functionally illiterate and should in no way have been passed on to the 6th grade. The "system has failed them multiple times.

Do the teachers get in trouble for not passing failing students?

I did.   ;/

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 08:18:04 PM »

You may laugh but it has actually happened
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 09:13:55 PM »

Who needs a calculator when the register does it for you automatically?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 09:59:37 PM »
You may laugh but it has actually happened

I'm well aware, that's why it was included.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 10:58:38 PM »

Several years ago, I was reading about a study being done on "brain sizes".  This study found that the average size of our brains had shrunk by about 5%.  They theorized that at least part of the reason was that we were no longer having to "memorize" details of where to find certain foods, drinkable water, safe shelters, etc., that our more primitive ancestors needed to remember.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 11:06:06 PM »

HeroHog said:

Kids nowadays have it so easy.  When I was working at McDs while in college, we had to write the order down on the paper tickets, add it up, THEN add the 5% sales tax, all before punching it up on the registers.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2022, 08:20:48 AM »
Several years ago, I was reading about a study being done on "brain sizes".  This study found that the average size of our brains had shrunk by about 5%.  They theorized that at least part of the reason was that we were no longer having to "memorize" details of where to find certain foods, drinkable water, safe shelters, etc., that our more primitive ancestors needed to remember.  :facepalm:
I think it may be because stupid people are outbreeding smarter people. In ancient times, stupid people died young - today, the social safety net keeps them alive. (If you haven't seen it already, take a look at the movie Idiocracy.)

. . . Give them a $2 bill or a $1 coin and they call the manager and the manager calls the cops! . . .
Funny story - I (slightly) knew a guy who ran a print shop. When they started making $2 bills again, he got a few packs of new bills from the bank and assembled them into "books" with gummed binding along one end. Then when he made a small purchase, he would take out his book of bills and peel off one or more bills as needed in front of the cashier. Much hilarity ensued.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 09:40:12 AM by HankB »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 02:04:16 PM »
Funny story - I (slightly) knew a guy who ran a print shop. When they started making $2 bills again, he got a few packs of new bills from the bank and assembled them into "books" with gummed binding along one end. Then when he made a small purchase, he would take out his book of bills and peel off one or more bills as needed in front of the cashier. Much hilarity ensued.  :rofl:

Oh, I LOVE that!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 02:14:59 PM »
Kids nowadays have it so easy.  When I was working at McDs while in college, we had to write the order down on the paper tickets, add it up, THEN add the 5% sales tax, all before punching it up on the registers.

Let's see, was then when a plain burger was 15 or 18 cents? I worked there during the 15 cent era. I was also on hand for the debut of the Big Mac.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 02:59:47 PM »
Let's see, was then when a plain burger was 15 or 18 cents? I worked there during the 15 cent era. I was also on hand for the debut of the Big Mac.

I don't remember how it broke down, but around 1961 McDonald's advertising jingle was:

"45 cents for a three-course meal?
Sounds to me like that's a steal.
AAAAAAAAAAAAT McDonald's."

That "three-course meal" consisted of a single hamburger, a regular order of fries (I think they only had one size in those days), and a shake.

Come to think of it, they were probably 15 cents each.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2022, 03:08:23 PM »
I don't remember how it broke down, but around 1961 McDonald's advertising jingle was:

"45 cents for a three-course meal?
Sounds to me like that's a steal.
AAAAAAAAAAAAT McDonald's."

That "three-course meal" consisted of a single hamburger, a regular order of fries (I think they only had one size in those days), and a shake.

Come to think of it, they were probably 15 cents each.
45 cents? I don't remember that. But I DO remember advertising that said you could get a burger, fries, and a drink  " . . . and still get change back from your dollar."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 07:48:28 PM »

Cromag man had the largest brain size.  We have lost enough brain to equal the size of a tennis ball, on average.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2022, 08:34:06 PM »

I do have a habit of talking to myself while noodling something out and there were a couple of people at work who had the same problem.  I had to crush it, but being retired now, I'm doing it again at home.

My high school (BTHS) had about a week and a half of orientation classes for incoming freshmen where they went over efficient study methods, who on statt to see for what, and quite a bit on math shortcuts.

This latter because of the use of slide rules at  the time, where you had to estimate a result for reality checking.  I can still usually approximate an arithmetic answer in my head.

And with respect to knowing trivia such as historic dates, my younger son calls it Google University (GU).  That's  a lot easier to say than my alma mater, Duck Duck Go University (DDGU).