Author Topic: Stupid pellet stove question...  (Read 506 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Stupid pellet stove question...
« on: November 20, 2022, 07:21:18 PM »
I could EASILY pop a hole through a couple of pieces of dur-rock, with fireproof insulation inside, and run a stack  up the side of the house...

Put that literally _over_ a window, with the sash up. Dur-rock on the outside, dur-rock on the inside, whatever in between.

What do you think?
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Stupid pellet stove question...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 07:58:10 PM »
If you want your insurance to cover anything, it needs to be to code.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 07:19:10 AM »
With modern pellet stoves, you don't need a vertical stack.  All you need is a direct vent.

The intake and exhaust on my stove is one unit about three feet long.

Like RKL said, build it to code.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 07:54:07 AM »
Urban neighborhood, very close neighbors. Don't wanna pump smoke into their windows, even if they never open them, and I never see any lights, nothing but the pit bulls and the daughters and their boyfriends using all the parking spaces on the street...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 08:25:28 AM »
I'm a bit confused. You mean cover the entire window opening with the Durock and then run your pipe through?

That should work. You'll want to consult with your city code office, though, because that's sort of a gray area.

And, as I understand it, the only fireproof insulation you can use around the stove pipe is mineral wool. Fiberglass doesn't cut it.

What pellet stove are you considering? I'd suggest going online and grabbing the manual for your intended stove and read up on the section on installation.

Those directions comply with national code, but your local codes may be more stringent.

"With modern pellet stoves, you don't need a vertical stack.  All you need is a direct vent."

Most pellet stove installations recommend some vertical stack to provide natural draw in case the power goes out. That helps prevent the house from filling with smoke.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 08:46:36 AM »
Also sorta thinking of stuffing one in my garage, where I can VERY easily pop out a cosmetic window, and replace it with the cement board. The hard part in the house is going to be figuring out which location, and then doing the vent stuff.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 08:55:13 AM »
My suggestion would be to drill directly through the wall of your house. IIRC you said it was block construction. Annoying, but it should allow you more flexibility of where to put it.

This article discusses installing a thimble through a masonry wall: https://www.arnabee.com/how-to-install-a-pellet-stove-wall-thimble/#:~:text=Pellet%20stoves%20can%20be%20installed%20in%20both%20masonry,of%20the%20wall%20using%20a%201%2F2-inch%20drill%20bit.

Not much information there, but enough. There are also lots of videos on installing pellet stoves.

What brand pellet stove are you looking at?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 09:01:23 PM »
That Cleveland thing sounds about right. House is 765 square feet... It would be at one end of the house. Main goal isn't "hot," but "warm enough."

I'd also like to figure on something to heat the 400sf detached garage.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 09:06:57 PM »
And I like the idea of it being wifi capable - because I'd like to turn it on a few minutes before getting home from work, etc., etc... 

I could also plumb this out one of the "fake windows" on my garage with just a bit of Dur-Rock... And that isn't near a neighbor window... I'd probably do a few feet above the roof tho, just because.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200765492_200765492
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 09:30:48 AM »
Looks like Rural King has it in stock, as opposed to a 30 day day from Northern.

I'd really like a wifi capable stove; that would be a fantastic add for my house, but I'm not going to replace my Castle, which has been nothing short of absolutely brilliant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 10:57:34 AM »
And I like the idea of it being wifi capable - because I'd like to turn it on a few minutes before getting home from work, etc., etc... 

That can be accomplished with a modestly-priced mechanical timer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 11:55:57 AM »
That can be accomplished with a modestly-priced mechanical timer.

Like *expletive deleted*it it can!

And trying to control a pellet stove like that can have some damned bad consequences!

Pellet stoves aren't on-off devices like a lamp. There's considerable computerized control and programming behind them and they require constant power to maintain programming presets.

My pellet stove has a power supply rocker switch that controls power to the entire stove, but that switch does NOT control the stove's cycle.

If the stove is on and running and the power goes out, when power is restored to the stove it doesn't start running again, it defaults to off. In order to restart it you have to physically interact with the control panel.

In essence, using a mechanical timer would replicate a power failure.

Even worse, it can be anywhere from bad to VERY bad to continually interrupt line power to a pellet stove. More than a few people have reported control board failures due to power outages and the surges that can result when power is restored.

It's also QUITE bad to have the stove shut down while it's still got a fire going in it. Pellet stoves have preprogrammed shutdown sequences that are designed to prevent smoke from backing up into the house, and that requires power to run the fans and cycle through the various stages of the shutdown process.