Author Topic: Who Would I call to Work on a Private Bridge?  (Read 3417 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Who Would I call to Work on a Private Bridge?
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2021, 07:08:00 AM »
"I wish my pipe was set just a foot higher. That would leave me a pool of water there to run the ag pump from for putting water in the pond or flooding one of the pastures for geese in the Winter."

You need to make yourself your own sluice gate. Basically a half sheet of plywood that you drop down in front of the pipe that will allow water to pool behind it. Then you can drop your pump in, take the water you want, and then remove the gate.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2023, 05:35:02 PM »
So total thread necro. I am STILL trying to do this.

On bridge #2 (the blue railroad flatbed car in the photos above), I actually ended up doing that whole thing myself in DEC21. My gravel pit guy let me come out and get a bunch of demo concrete for free, so I was able to do riprap on that one and that has held up well. At the same time, I tore the entire top off that bridge and replaced it with treated 2bys, a roof sheathing layer on top of that, tar paper and rolled roofing on top of that. I was gonna just leave that as is, but the cows started destroying it pretty quick when they showed up in the Spring, which gave me the "Aha" moment of why the previous owner had road mix spread on top. So I did that too and it's holding up pretty nicely. The idea of the treated wood topped by the sheathing is that when the cows start to destroy stuff, I'm hoping the sheathing will act as ablative armor and I can just replace that before they start destroying the base layer. I think that's what the previous owner did as well, but he never replaced the sheathing as it broke, so all the railcar "flooring" got damaged as well before I ever got here. But anyway, a lot of work, but it's done and I'm happy with it so far.

My culvert road is a whole nother story. The structural engineer drew up some good plans, and recommended a contractor who could do the work. The contractor came out initially to get info for an estimate, then never showed up again. A half year of phone tag with his son, and then I learned that the old man retired, gave the business to his son, and the son just takes the crew fishing all the time and they just work whenever.

So then I get back with the engineer and he doesn't know anyone else, then I start calling around, but everyone said they don't do that kind of work. In the meantime, this last DEC, somehow so much water came down the road that one of the timbers above the culvert pipe cracked. You can see in the above photo that there's a timber that looks warped. It cracked and sank like six inches. So now I'm at the point where the original fix of pumping concrete in to fill voids and create a stable wall won't work anymore.

In desperation a few weeks ago, I called the local irrigation district, and the superintendent was super cool and drove out to my place (he lives 15 minutes away) to have a look. His district literally ends ten feet from my culvert pipe, so he actually has a reason for concern if my road collapses during the irrigation season. Anyway, he was able to find me a guy, since they obviously have a lot of culverts in their district. So the good news is that I have a guy now. He's going to tear out the whole crossing, install a new pipe (going from 4' to 5') and do an upstream concrete wall with wings to funnel the water through.

The bad news is that it's already too late for him to do the work before the irrigation season (he needs super low water and will be running big ass pumps for 48 hours straight to divert water during the wall construction). So it's gonna be NOV-DEC before it gets done. The badder news is that I just got off the phone with him and I'll be out $47K. So much for buying guns this year.

The even worse news is that I was really, really, stupid, and because I wanted to protect the crossing from more collapse in the meantime, was down in the creek most of today stacking 40 sacks of quickcrete as riprap to keep the culvert bank from degrading more during the irrigation season and possibly collapsing the crossing. Man, that was sketchy. Absolutely stupid of me to do it without a safety watch. Everytime I saw some dirt trickling when I put a sack in place, I was thinking the whole thing was gonna come down and bury me. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. At least I got my strength training workout in for the day.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2023, 06:25:26 PM »
I would have used treated 4"x10" bridge planks on the metal bridge, then run some 2"x8" length wise for wheel tracks. The planking would last you for the rest of your life.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2023, 08:13:05 PM »
"Man, that was sketchy. Absolutely stupid of me to do it without a safety watch. Everytime I saw some dirt trickling when I put a sack in place, I was thinking the whole thing was gonna come down and bury me. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. At least I got my strength training workout in for the day."

About the only thing a safety watch could do in a situation like that is tell Steve that you were thinking of him when you died in the collapse and that he'll be happy in his new home.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2023, 06:59:17 AM »
Just curious...

Have you investigated how much it would cost to have the old bridge completely removed and two concrete end walls built, on which you could build a wood deck?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2023, 07:57:02 AM »
Just curious...

Have you investigated how much it would cost to have the old bridge completely removed and two concrete end walls built, on which you could build a wood deck?

You mean like turn it into a bridge? If so, the engineer figured it used to be a bridge, and whoever owned the place at the time (he figures 30-40 years ago) then turned it into a culvert road after the bridge collapsed. A bridge would be okay for regular vehicles, but for stuff like belly dumps and other big equipment, I think it would take too much expensive engineering to support the weight, so the culvert road is the moist efficient option. Especially if this time it's done professionally instead of Idaho hillabilly style.  :laugh:

I had asked the contractor to give me two bids - one with the upstream concrete wall and wings as the irrigation superintendent recommended, and the other with just riprap, which wouldn't require water pumps. The riprap ended up being only $6K cheaper for a much less robust wall over the solid concrete. Apparently the riprap is extremely labor intensive compared to building forms and pouring concrete. If it weren't for the need for the big ass industrial pumps and having to have workers monitor and fuel them for 48 hours straight, the concrete might have actually been cheaper than the riprap bid.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2023, 08:15:01 AM »
Ah, I didn't realize that you were bringing truly heavy equipment over it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2023, 09:26:14 AM »
Meh, just build a couple of ramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHihGPyxe10
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2023, 04:21:25 PM »
See if your county engineer will moonlight or ask if they know someone. Also check with the university extension.

If Ben was in West Virginia I’d give him a friends number as he does exactly that.