Author Topic: SIG MCX Spear  (Read 3719 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: SIG MCX Spear
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2022, 11:51:39 AM »
IMO, there is no guarantee the Army will go through with arming all troops with the new rifle.  Plus, there are plenty of other military supply contracts around.

There is pretty much a guarantee that the army will NOT arm all the troops with the M5, since they said they weren't going to, and didn't buy enough to do it.  The M5 is only for the "Close Combat Force".  (Very roughly, the Close Combat Force are those troops we expect to be within 600M of the enemy as part of their mission)

The current plan, as I understand it, is to keep the M4 for the rest of us, and finally phase out the remaining M16's that are still floating around being used.  My unit just got brand spanking factory new M4s as part of this whole weapons upgrade shenanigans.  There's no arguing the fact that the M4 is a little long in the tooth however, and lacks some features the Army really wants.  (Ambi controls and a folding stock are the big ones there)  I'm pretty sure that Sig is marketing this as a replacement for M4's that wear out for the troops in the rear to modernize those guns as well as to make it easier to suppress.  The Army is pretty interested in suppressing everyone's weapon.

Failing that Sig will just sell a bunch of them to civilians and police departments

I like the idea of the 7.62x39 version.  $2500 is a lot of money.  If that street price came in lower, I can almost see trying to get one.  If the prices end up being a premium over that like the Virtus, then no. 

This is a generational upgrade from the Vertus, and it's Sig, so I'd expect there not to be a price premium, but rather the Vertus will be discontinued soon.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2022, 09:09:01 PM »

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2023, 08:29:10 PM »
The M5 is now the M7

"The Army originally chose the designation XM5 as the name of the new rifle in March," a service spokesperson said in a statement. "Since then, the service learned that the M5 name is used by Colt Industries for one of its 5.56mm carbines."

How could they have not known this?

The Army Forced to Change the Name of Its New Rifle
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/01/19/army-forced-change-name-of-its-new-rifle.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 08:48:03 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2023, 08:44:14 PM »
As I understand it the approval to switch the 5.56 round from Du Pont IMR powder to Winchester ball powder, in an effort to gain additional velocity without a big jump in chamber pressure, was authorized by the Army's rifle trial acceptance board. It was not, nor could it have been, a unilateral decision.

So Winchester padded several pockets then?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2023, 07:24:17 AM »
So Winchester padded several pockets then?

I'm not sure that they would have needed to. Ball powder showed a variety of benefits over IMR.

They just didn't know about the big drawbacks at the time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.