Author Topic: Dog parents -- Nasty canine illness spreading  (Read 585 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Dog parents -- Nasty canine illness spreading
« on: December 14, 2022, 07:00:23 PM »
This just came from Seren's daycare. A little late, as she's been dealing with it for the better part of a week now. She's doing OK, but the symptoms listed are what she has down to a T.

She's on antibiotics as a precautionary measure (that's a different story, unfortunately).

"Dear Pet Parents,

There is currently an elevated number of cases of dogs experiencing coughing in the United States and we are now seeing it in our area. We are waiting for our vet to confirm if it’s Bordetella (kennel cough) or Canine Influenza (dog flu) but in the meantime we want to take all the possible precautions to keep your dog safe and healthy. 

The signs of this illness are cough, runny nose, fever, lethargy, eye discharge, and reduced appetite, but not all dogs will show signs of illness. 

Please keep your dog at home if they’re showing any of these symptoms and avoid social settings, in case of walks please maintain a safe distance from other dogs. 

We are constantly monitoring the situation and we are in touch with other facilities out of State that have seen cases prior to our area. 

At the moment we are restricting access to dogs who meet the following criteria for reservations:

*Dogs under 6 months of age 

*Geriatric dogs

*Brachycephalic Breeds (flat-faced breeds): Bulldogs and French Bulldogs, Pugs, Boston Terriers, Shih Tzu and Pekingese

*Dogs with preexisting conditions or have a weakened immune system

We will be screening dogs as they arrive for any signs of illness. 

We strongly recommend our in-home Pet Sitting and Dog Walking services. Please let us know if you would like us to check availability for your dog.

Here is more information on Kennel Cough and Canine Flu: 

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departments-centers-and-institutes/riney-canine-health-center/health-info/risks-kennel-cough

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/other/canine-flu/keyfacts.html

Veterinarians reiterated that vaccinations significantly reduce symptoms and prevent serious complications but do not always prevent infection."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Dog parents -- Nasty canine illness spreading
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 07:31:22 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily it's cold enough in these parts right now that there's not a lot of action at the dog parks. Old Steve has a friend visiting for a few days, but her owner keeps her pretty isolated. I actually need to check that he takes her for her annual shots.

Steve is up on the kennel cough, but I had no idea that there was a dog flu vaccine. That has never come up with my dogs in the past.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 08:04:52 AM »
I thought the bordatella vaccine protected both against kennel cough and flu. Hum... I'd better talk with my vet

It's tough to say, but it appears that Seren may have the canine flu. Her symptoms are more in line with that - lethargy, runny nose, mild eye discharge, and reduced appetite.

She's been sleeping a lot, which is good. I know it's kind of tough on her being home alone right now, but at least I'm only 2 miles from my office so I can run home around noon and get her out for a walk, spend some time with her, and get some lunch.

She's on antibiotics to guard against pneumonia, and with the reduced appetite that's making things a bit more challenging. She needs to take the antibiotics with food, so the last two day's I've basically had to force feed her to get something into her stomach before I pill her. This morning was the first time I've ever had to force feed a dog liverwurst.

Last evening her appetite was fairly good so I was able to get some beef jerky treats into her along with a fair amount of her one favorite treat -- frozen broccoli spears.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 08:10:56 AM »
Shoot, I hated it when a pet got sick.  All the best of luck to youse guys and your four-legged roomies.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 08:53:09 PM »
She's on antibiotics to guard against pneumonia, and with the reduced appetite that's making things a bit more challenging. She needs to take the antibiotics with food, so the last two day's I've basically had to force feed her to get something into her stomach before I pill her. This morning was the first time I've ever had to force feed a dog liverwurst.

I hope to never have to, and I'm sorry you're having to, but seriously, how do you force feed a dog?

I hope she gets better soon.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 08:12:14 AM »
You compress soft food into pellets and give it to them like pills.

Takes awhile.

This morning I was able to get her to eat.... a WAWA sizzli breakfast croissant with egg and sausage. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 08:49:01 PM »
Hope your pup feels better soon

One of mine woke up this morning shitting blood heavily but it looks like she’s going to be ok after the vet checked her out and pumped her full of IV fluid and meds.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 09:01:28 AM »
Damn, that's scary. Giver her a pat for me.

Seren's slowly on the mend. Still struggling with the antibiotics and getting food into her.

Even with food the anitibiotics are apparently making her nauseated, and she doesn't want to eat anything.

I got some greek yogurt and raw hamburger into her last night.

This morning? Nope, not eating that, Dad.

Yesterday morning I bought her a WAWA sausage and egg croissant. That went right down. I'd bet if I offered it to her this morning she'd reject it.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 09:06:12 AM »
Kennel cough and canine influenza are separate vaccines. The kennel i take my dog to just started requiring the flu vax last year.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 09:15:10 AM »
Good to know. I'm going to add that to Seren's inoculation schedule.

I just hope that it doesn't give her Da 'Tizm!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 10:13:53 AM »
Damn, that's scary. Giver her a pat for me.

Seren's slowly on the mend. Still struggling with the antibiotics and getting food into her.

Even with food the anitibiotics are apparently making her nauseated, and she doesn't want to eat anything.

I got some greek yogurt and raw hamburger into her last night.

This morning? Nope, not eating that, Dad.

Yesterday morning I bought her a WAWA sausage and egg croissant. That went right down. I'd bet if I offered it to her this morning she'd reject it.

That sucks K Frame. It’s hard when they don’t eat b/c of nausea because that just makes them throw up even more and feel worse.

Has her vet prescribed any anti nausea meds? Mine gave Daisy an injection yesterday and prescribed a pill to help with it, and she’s doing much better today.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 01:16:14 PM »
Yes, but she only gave me 4 tabs of it.

I'm going to give her one in a few minutes to see if it can get to to eat something. We've got a few more days of this crap left. I feel so bad for her.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2022, 01:27:55 PM »
Crap. I got some fried cod sticks from the hot bar at the grocery store. I thought for sure Seren would eat that.

Nope.

Looking more and more like we're just going to have to tough this out as best we can, any way we can.

At least she's staying well hydrated.

And it's looking like I can get her back into daycare on Monday. That will really improve her mood.