Author Topic: Why Young People Won't Work  (Read 618 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Why Young People Won't Work
« on: December 17, 2022, 11:36:31 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Why Young People Won't Work
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 11:31:22 AM »
Well, I wouldn't want Lauren Southern working for me.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

When my father died, I didn't ghost my job, I called and let them know that my father had died and I needed a few days off. Same thing eleven years later (different job) when my mother died. If nothing else, it's common courtesy. Unfortunately, among the woke generation, common courtesy seems to be very uncommon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 12:19:02 PM »
The lack of loyalty to their employers has spread across much of the workforce thanks to layoffs and bad working conditions, not to mention an end to the benefits formerly accrued by "long term" employees like pensions and retiree medical coverage. It's not surprising that employees have less enthusiasm for their work when they're treated poorly, or see promotions and such being handed out based on diversity rather than performance.

On the other hand, from watching the linked video in the OP, I see some of the jobs she mentions with low pay and little opportunity for advancement (fast food, shoveling manure, "make work" government job as an elevator operator) are for people with low skills, or possibly no skills at all.

With no useful college degree or marketable trade school skills . . . well . . . duh.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »
I'm not sure how long this will last, but right now there seem to be more jobs than there are people willing and able to work. I can see how young people encountering those conditions would develop an attitude of "Yeah, I'm gonna take care of me and mine. If my boss doesn't like it, there's ten other jobs out there for the taking."

I do think it's funny that she thinks the fan-service scenes of Undercover Boss, where the CEO sides with the lower-level employees, against some middle-manager, reflect reality. I've never seen the show, but I'm guessing that has more to do with creating TV people want to watch, vs a representative sample of what's really going on in the workplace.

I also wonder what "minimum wage" she's talking about. Is it the $5.25 minimum wage some of us remember from years ago, or $15/hr?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 05:30:43 PM »
There are a TON of toxic middle managers in the world.  Working for one of them is not likely to lead to giving much of a damn about the job, nor will it lead to a cohesive and well operating team.

The guy I took over my shop from was so shitty to work for that the shop is still traumatized by some of his policies 8 months later.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 08:59:39 PM »
. . . I do think it's funny that she thinks the fan-service scenes of Undercover Boss, where the CEO sides with the lower-level employees, against some middle-manager, reflect reality.  . . .

IMHO, the show Undercover Boss is scripted malarkey. Think about this - if you work for a big company and the CEO came in as a "new" employee disguised by wearing Groucho glasses and a fright wig - AND FOLLOWED BY A CAMERA MAN!!! - would YOU start badmouthing the company or its policies? If you wanted to keep your job?

I worked ~35 years for a pretty big company, and most managers were OK . . . but I had a couple near the end who were truly toxic jackasses. (To put things in perspective, one of my better managers was a hitlerjugend in his youth.  :O   )
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 07:25:26 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain