Author Topic: "beloved mountain lion" kills Chihuahua mix dog while walking on a leash  (Read 1322 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/mountain-lion-kills-leashed-dog-hollywood-hills/GBXOXPSR6RERLF3V4IUS4MOPJA/?fbclid=IwAR3qif0NFUaaA_V16Jh9aAW4iiayac-GvPcFm_zM9HI_zd7bNKbhGTpMH98

It seems some Hollywood Hills local lion , that everyone loves, thought a dog being walked was dinner .
 If people are going to be deliberately stupid about nature/self defense - it's difficult for me not to root for the local lion, I do not, but I sort of want to.
Even as a kid in NYC and surrounding areas - my dog protected me and I protected my dog
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Andiron

• friend
https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/mountain-lion-kills-leashed-dog-hollywood-hills/GBXOXPSR6RERLF3V4IUS4MOPJA/?fbclid=IwAR3qif0NFUaaA_V16Jh9aAW4iiayac-GvPcFm_zM9HI_zd7bNKbhGTpMH98

Even as a kid in NYC and surrounding areas - my dog protected me and I protected my dog

The denizens of Hollywood being docile sheep aside,  I'm going to the mat against any critter that messes with my dog.  Otherwise why bother being armed?

That being said,  do chihuahuas even count as canines?   :P   You could make the case that they were a native species to the area and specifically a food source for mountain lions and I'd be hard pressed to disagree.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
It's too bad the lion got the dog and not the human.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
It's too bad the lion got the dog and not the human.
Not sure the Mountain Lion will do that.  Maybe import some tigers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
I'm for the kitty on this one. Not its fault.
Blog under construction

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
I wonder if some misguided animal "lover" who fed the wildlife around their house moved away and the kitty got real hungry without the extra food.

I don't like people doing that. 

Like so many people who think they're doing noble things, they really aren't.

Terry, 230RN

gunsmith

• friend
I wonder if some misguided animal "lover" who fed the wildlife around their house moved away and the kitty got real hungry without the extra food.

I don't like people doing that. 

Like so many people who think they're doing noble things, they really aren't.

Terry, 230RN

I was thinking the exact same thing
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
I wonder what you would feed a wild mountain lion? 

I guess Chihuahuas would be frowned upon.  Maybe keep rabbits or chickens in your yard. 

I also wonder what the feral cat population is in that area.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 09:06:14 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• friend
"I guess Chihuahuas would be frowned upon.  Maybe keep rabbits or chickens in your yard."

Well, that's part of the problem: feeding the little guys brings the big guys around.

Twice I've noticed that coyotes are seen more often when one of our animal lover tenants feeds the little guys.  One was about ten years ago, the most recent one moved out two weeks ago. Personal observation, so not citable in Wikipedia and N = only 2.

HankB

• friend
Re: "beloved mountain lion" kills Chihuahua mix dog while walking on a leash
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 07:27:39 AM »
. . . I also wonder what the feral cat population in in that area.
I've been seeing more coyotes in my suburb recently, and haven't spotted any cats running around loose for a while.

Maybe the coyotes are earning their keep.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 08:51:01 AM »
I moderate a Leonberger group on Facebook.

I forget the exact context that started the discussion, but some months ago I mentioned that I carry a handgun while I'm walking Seren and I would not hesitate to use it to protect her.

Some of the people in the group went absolutely bananas. All of the bullshit tropes -- you don't care about human life, you're a monster, blah blah blah.

I was very forthwith in saying that my best friend's life is FAR more important to me than the life of anything, or anyone, who tries to him her (or me) and I have absolutely no problem shooting something, or someone, to protect her or me.

Double extra large helping of bananas.

I ended up booting a couple of people from the group because they got very rude, a few of them unfriended me (I'm so upset about that...), and I was left with an overriding sense of sorrow... for their dogs... because they're not willing to protect them if they need to.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »
I've been seeing more coyotes in my suburb recently, and haven't spotted any cats running around loose for a while.

Maybe the coyotes are earning their keep.  =D
I imagine the smarter feral cats know to keep out of sight. 

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 01:28:36 PM »
I think he meant fewer house cats, cattus houseticus, running around loose.

Side note, I once saw a magpie harassing a coyote carrying a dead squirrel to make it drop the squirrel. This went on across two pastures and they got out of sight before I could tell if the magpie was successful.  i do have a distant picture of it but you can't tell what's going on unless you'd seen it in person.

I have also seen a squirrel and a magpie actually playing with each other, one jumping over the other and vice-versa.  I'm sorry if you think I'm anthropomorphising the events,  but there's no other explanation for it except they were having fun.

Explanation:  While I ive in a 50-unit Senior Citizens apartment building, it is in a transitional zoning area with lots of farmy and aggie stuff going on around it and it's near a major creek by the foothills.  I'm on the second floor and get to see a lot of wildlife around. The owners of my building get two cuttings of hay a year out of the rest of the property.

I also have a picture of deer going by under my back balcony, and one of a fawn standing by my car.  The problem is most of these wildlife pix are hurriedly and blurriedly because I don't keep my camera at the ready and by the time I go get it and I'm ready to click, it's usually with whatever the default settings are.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 01:53:25 PM by 230RN »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 08:11:57 PM »
I wonder what you would feed a wild mountain lion? 

We fed our mountain lions at the zoo Nebraska Brand carnivore diet, which was mostly horsemeat. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 11:19:43 PM »
According the linked article, this particular lion is ~11 years old.  Most lions live for 8-13 years, so this lion MAY be getting too old to do much hunting.
Also, if the dog's owner is so blase about the death of his dog, how would he react if the lion attacked HIM instead??
  =|
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 11:28:28 PM »
According the linked article, this particular lion is ~11 years old.  Most lions live for 8-13 years, so this lion MAY be getting too old to do much hunting.
Also, if the dog's owner is so blase about the death of his dog, how would he react if the lion attacked HIM instead??
  =|

who knows, it may start seeking human prey, the local long pig population is mostly organic and gluten free :cool:

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 05:03:09 AM »
What's the homeless population around Griffith Park looking like? 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2022, 07:21:04 AM »
  =|

Owner is typical left coast soy boy beta *let's not go there*, he’d be thrilled he could offer sustenance to a wild animal.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 10:07:42 AM »
  =|

The owner employs a dog walker to exercise his Chihuahua. I'm not thinking he's really worried about risk to himself.

I also note they don't seem to have a quote from the dog walker that was trolling for lion.  He/She may be less blasé' on the incident.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 08:32:45 PM »
"beloved mountain lion" kills Chihuahua mix dog while walking on a leash

OK, I've manfully and nobly resisted the temptation through 19 posts.

But I'm weak.  Weak as water.

I simply must ask how come the mountain lion was on a leash?

Weak as water, I tells ya.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 10:47:05 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:
I simply must ask how come the mountain lion was on a leash?
:rofl: :rofl:

My best guess is, that it is a "beloved mountain lion" and gets special treatment when out eating locally grown food

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2022, 01:47:51 AM »

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

No probs.  We normally figure it out by the content and context.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2022, 09:58:07 PM »
Reported they caught him

‘You have a lion in your backyard’: Woman describes moment officers came to her home to tranquilize and capture LA’s most famous mountain lion – Cougar P-22 – after it killed a dog being walked in the Hollywood Hills
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11531277/Famed-Hollywood-mountain-lion-captured-killing-dog.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2022, 10:33:31 PM »
  the lion may have been hit by a car, they really need to keep it in some kind of sanctuary or euthanize it-it is too old to care for it self now .
CA lion population is way past sustainability