Author Topic: An electric - truck?  (Read 2150 times)

HankB

• friend
An electric - truck?
« on: November 23, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »
I was at a local grocery store earlier this week and saw a funny looking full size 4-door pickup truck - the front looked odd and the pickup box looked kind of short. And saw it was a RIVIAN.

https://rivian.com/

Turns out it was an electric vehicle. Wonder if the company is planning to play in the TESLA market space. The website describes it in terms as glowing as the MyPillow guy uses in his commercials. They're taking $1k deposits for possible delivery in 2023, but this truck was here now. In addition to the pickup, they're also advertising an SUV and delivery vans. (Pix of vans with Amazon livery were on the site.)

According to the website, the truck has "up to" a 400 mile range, can tow "up to" 11,000 pounds, and can be upgraded to >800hp and >900 ft lbs of torque. Zero to 60 times as low as 3 seconds. SUV ground clearance 14.9 inches (a little more for the pickup) and wading depth of 3 feet. The company claims it's establishing a bunch of "Rivian Only" charging stations that will add 120 miles of range in 20 minutes. The company is also pushing fleet sales with the capability of tracking it's vehicles in real time.

Prices for the pickup start at $73,000, the SUV $78,000, and can easily top $100k with just a few options, so if you want to save on gas money, it's going to cost you.

We'll see what happens, this may go the way of the Tucker, but what do I know - I'm a little surprised Tesla is still around.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
Re: An electric - truck?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »
IMO, electric vehicles need to advertise a more realistic range.  "up to 400 miles" doesn't mean crap.  What does it mean when you have 500 lbs in the back?  Or are pulling a small trailer?  And how long does it take charge at a typical charging station.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
I saw a Rivian the other day.  It looked a bit shorter, taller, and wider than my 2016 Toyota Tacoma four door short bed pickup.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 10:26:08 AM »
I've actually been seeing quite a few Teslas in my urban area...
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 07:05:21 PM »
Rivian's have been out for a MY or two now.  There are several in my area.  It's a nice truck, but pricey, and definitely has it's niche.

As far as advertising and the numbers, real world reviews exist, and the truck has EPA milage ratings, so you can find that out before you buy. No different than Ford saying an F140 can tow 11,000 pounds and get up to 20 whatever MPG.  If properly equipped, and driven just so.

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 08:02:10 PM »
There's a video out there of one turning in roughly its own length.  Apparently, it can power one side forward and the other in reverse at the same time.  Probably more Gee Whiz than useful, but it did look cool.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 08:40:33 PM »
I asked Elon if I could test a Tesla truck here in the country to see what it could really do. I never got an answer. I could see the torque working out for farm tasks.

The NHRA has added some EV classes. Looks pretty good. Not up to nitro power but running about alcohol/high octane range on the dragsters. Even Big Daddy is in on this stuff.

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 11:50:48 AM »
I wonder ... Does it have enough towing capacity to haul around a portable generator and fifty gallon fuel tank for when the battery goes dead?  [popcorn]

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 12:15:11 PM »
I wonder ... Does it have enough towing capacity to haul around a portable generator and fifty gallon fuel tank for when the battery goes dead?  [popcorn]

Woody
With a towing capacity of 11,000 pounds, I would say yes.

No idea what the "up to 400 mile range" would be if it were actually towing a trailer that weighed that much. I'd bet some serious cash that it wouldn't be 400 miles unless a lot of the extra weight was in batteries.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »
The Rivian R1T (truck) has been out for over a year.  The R1S (SUV) was just recently released.

Yes, the truck can tow 11,000 pounds and has a max range of 400 miles (with the big battery option), but not both at the same time.  Just like a gas engine truck, when you add weight and/or drag, the range drops.  In the case of the R1T, the range penalty is huge.  This Youtube channel has done several reviews of the R1T.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zce-wC__kkU&t=771s

Can the R1T carry a generator and gas?  Of course it can.  Do you carry an extra gas tank in your pickup in case you run out of gas or do you plan your trip to not run out of gas? 

Jim147, if you sign-up with Rivian, they will let you know when there are demos and test drives in your area.

Griz, that tank turn only works on the quad-motor trucks.  AFAIK, no production vehicle can do it.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 05:08:30 PM »
I've seen three Rivian R1Ts here in Michigan. I machined all of the parts for the hydraulic lift skid that lifts the battery into the chassis. I can't afford one, but would like to test drive one.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 09:32:16 AM »
I wasn't really aware of Rivians until I saw one a few days ago. There are a LOT of Teslas on the road around here just west of Austin, TX - they've become common enough that they don't really stand out any more.

What HAS just about fallen off the radar are the "Smart" cars - you know, those tiny little things that look like someone wrapped some sheet metal around a golf cart. Used to see a couple every day on the road, now a week or two will go by between sightings. (I hear there's a "Smart" car rental service in another part of town.)

Oh, and someone in the neighborhood drives a Rolls Royce Cullinan. I've seen it both on the road and in the grocery parking lot.

Neither the Smarts nor the Rolls are electric, so I guess I'm drifting the thread I started . . .  ;)

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 10:33:10 AM »
Max tow capacity of 11,000lbs, with a towing range of 137-144 miles per charge (when pulling 7,000 lbs+).  That's not bad - it would have done a recent tow job I did with my F250 moving about 10k lbs 100 miles on one charge

But the starting price of $73,000...   :O  A new, basic 4x4 F250 has an MSRP of $45k.  Can't say I see how it makes sense.

That said, I'm not their target market, because I don't buy new trucks.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 11:17:36 AM »
That said, I'm not their target market, because I don't buy new trucks.
Right, but k frame might be interested.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2022, 11:27:11 AM »
I wonder how hot those batteries will get from the current drain to haul those 11,000 extra pounds around - especially up hill!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2022, 05:21:41 PM »
I wonder how hot those batteries will get from the current drain to haul those 11,000 extra pounds around - especially up hill!

Woody

The batteries are cooled by a radiator.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 07:11:41 PM »
An R1T is more of a Lariat/Platinum F150 comparison than an F250.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 09:24:08 PM »
An R1T is more of a Lariat/Platinum F150 comparison than an F250.

That's fair.  More of an upscale/luxury pickup.  Apparently some models of F150 can tow 11k as well - I wasn't aware of that.  Thought you needed a 3/4 ton truck to get into a class IV hitch.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2022, 07:24:07 AM »
That's fair.  More of an upscale/luxury pickup.  Apparently some models of F150 can tow 11k as well - I wasn't aware of that.  Thought you needed a 3/4 ton truck to get into a class IV hitch.

I suspect if you have to stop an 11,000 lbs trailer in a hurry you'll wish you had gotten a 3/4 ton truck.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 05:51:36 PM »
As for the range, how is that affected by having to use the heater or the AC?  Or the headlights at night?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »
As for the range, how is that affected by having to use the heater or the AC?  Or the headlights at night?

On existing EVs those are pretty negligible draws, that don't take much from the range.  I would bet the Rivian is the same.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2022, 07:03:28 PM »
On existing EVs those are pretty negligible draws, that don't take much from the range.  I would bet the Rivian is the same.
I was under the impression that winter heating was especially draining for existing EVs as it is provided via resistance heating instead of heat pump. Has that changed?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2022, 08:01:34 PM »
I think many have switched to using the heat pumps for hot and cold, but an not sure.

This article has some more info.

The battery analysis firm Recurrent released a study at the end of 2021 that details cold weather and EV range. According to its findings, results vary for each model, and older EVs like the Chevy Volt can experience a big loss of range. However, newer vehicles from Tesla, Audi, and Nissan are much, much lower, often under 10%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.reviewgeek.com/116956/does-running-the-a-c-or-heat-lower-your-ev-range/amp/

[Shrug]

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2022, 08:36:19 PM »
I was under the impression that winter heating was especially draining for existing EVs as it is provided via resistance heating instead of heat pump. Has that changed?

Older Teslas lost about 20% of range due to having to heat the cabin as well as the battery.  Newer Teslas use a heat pump, which is more efficient, so the range lost is less.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2022, 10:07:35 PM »

Okay.  I should have remembered that simple "heating" (lights and heat) don't pull much amperage, but motors do.  Do you have any idea of what the hit is when using windshield wipers?  The same might be said for the fan used for the heat or AC.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”