Author Topic: Computer UPS question  (Read 738 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Computer UPS question
« on: November 26, 2022, 02:35:38 AM »
I have two APC UPSs, one of which has gone tango uniform. I'm looking to replace it, and add a third because I'll be putting a third computer back into service.

Reading reviews on Amazon, a moderate number of responders have given APC a 1- or 2-star rating, claiming their units either arrived dead or don't produce anywhere near the run time on battery that they're rated for. I have always used APC and been satisfied, but it has been a long time since I bought one. Are they still good equipment, or should I be looking at another brand?

Thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Computer UPS question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 07:25:09 AM »
I have two APC UPSs, one of which has gone tango uniform. I'm looking to replace it, and add a third because I'll be putting a third computer back into service.

Reading reviews on Amazon, a moderate number of responders have given APC a 1- or 2-star rating, claiming their units either arrived dead or don't produce anywhere near the run time on battery that they're rated for. I have always used APC and been satisfied, but it has been a long time since I bought one. Are they still good equipment, or should I be looking at another brand?

Thanks.

What about it has gone TU? Replacement batteries are really cheap if it's just not providing power anymore.

Otherwise, there are plenty of other UPS units out there as good as APC. All I use these days are the Cyberpower 1500s from Costco, which at $150, are a good deal to me. I run two in my office and one at the TV.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 07:54:47 AM »

Reading reviews on Amazon, a moderate number of responders have given APC a 1- or 2-star rating, claiming their units either arrived dead or don't produce anywhere near the run time on battery that they're rated for.

Unless you spend a lot of $$$$ I view most home style UPSs as something to get you over the power blinking off/on or as something to give you time to do a save and clean shutdown and not much more.
Usually advertised run times are with the computer at idle and even then they're optimistic. Rev up the CPU and GPU and you can forget about getting anything close.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 08:46:25 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 08:43:09 AM »
What about it has gone TU? Replacement batteries are really cheap if it's just not providing power anymore..

This. Lots of supposedly dead UPSs are just defunct batteries.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 09:32:11 AM »
It won't even turn on when plugged into the wall. No power light, no trouble lights ... nada. I think it's dead, and I don't feel like buying a new battery to prove it.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 09:34:46 AM »
It won't even turn on when plugged into the wall. No power light, no trouble lights ... nada. I think it's dead, and I don't feel like buying a new battery to prove it.

Check for a popped or swollen cap on the circuit board. Quite common and usually a cheap easy fix if you're comfortable using a soldering iron
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 09:35:49 AM »
If it's not even working as a surge protector on AC, then yeah, I wouldn't mess with it and I'd just get a new one. I assume that if it has a physical reset, that you've already hit that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 10:19:21 AM »

Thanks.

How good do you want?

Our ISP side uses a "crapton" of Tripplite dual conversion units.  1000 and 1500KVA units.  For their specific use they add a wiring harness and deep cycle marine batteries.

APC with the same capacity are OK.

Desktop UPS-s are "not great".   Glorified surge protector. Last one I opened to replace the battery with the usual and relatively inexpensive duracell 12Ahr battery, I found instead a pack that looked like it was probably a couple D cells inside it.  Crap.

Look for a reset button on the unit. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 11:16:06 AM »
Not sure it will help in Hawkmoon’s specific scenario, but I have had good success in replacing SLA cells with Lifepo4 cells in computer UPS units. More expensive but they should have at least three to five times the lifespan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 02:10:55 PM »
Look for a reset button on the unit. 

This first. Some units have an external circuit breaker.

If resetting doesn't help, or if it doesn't have a reset button at all, try a logic reset. Unplug the unit, then press and hold the power button for at least five seconds. You may see the panel flash and/or hear a click. If this doesn't work, replacment time.

Yes, the circuit boards can be repaired, but it's a fiddly process and requires board-level work. Easier and more certain to simply replace.

What model is it? Maybe we can help with more detailed info.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 10:51:55 PM »
This first. Some units have an external circuit breaker.

If resetting doesn't help, or if it doesn't have a reset button at all, try a logic reset. Unplug the unit, then press and hold the power button for at least five seconds. You may see the panel flash and/or hear a click. If this doesn't work, replacment time.

Yes, the circuit boards can be repaired, but it's a fiddly process and requires board-level work. Easier and more certain to simply replace.

What model is it? Maybe we can help with more detailed info.

It has a circuit breaker on the back. That was my first thought. I pressed it, but I don't think it was out far enough to have been tripped.

It's a Back-UPS CS 500, model BK500.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 09:53:12 AM »
It's a Back-UPS CS 500, model BK500.

So not the absolute cheapy crap UPS I was thinking.  A couple steps above that.  (This right here is the one I couldn't replace battery for.  Avoid this.)

Still.  How old?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 10:05:36 AM »
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 02:19:22 PM »
So not the absolute cheapy crap UPS I was thinking.  A couple steps above that.  (This right here is the one I couldn't replace battery for.  Avoid this.)

Still.  How old?

Don't remember how old. More than 5 years, but the battery is about a year (+/-) old.

But the unit is totally dead. If it was just a battery problem, it should still turn on and function as a surge suppressor. It won't even turn on. I think it's pretty much toast.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 05:43:00 PM »
The UPS system for my computer is an APC ES-750 and it went out on me earlier this year.  The "surge" side was still working so I took the chance and took it apart.  The battery in it uses those "spade automotive style" connectors so it was child's play to get the battery out.  I took the battery to a local "Batteries +" store and they tested the battery and found it dead.  The replacement cost about $45 (IIRC) and, not counting the time going to & from the store, getting into the UPS and putting it back together took less than an hour. 
That cost was less than half of what a new, comparable unit would have cost.
After letting it charge for about 8 hours, I was able to turn everything back on and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck with yours !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2022, 06:09:18 PM »
I had a UPS for my router and cable/phone modem.  I don't remember what brand, but it had a pretty big sealed lead-acid battery inside.  The idea was when the power went out I would still have telephone service, and Internet that I could use with a laptop as long is it had batteries.  (I have an old rotary phone and a touchtone for emergencies; they work without AC power)  The problem is, my cable provider doesn't have battery backup at their central office, so when the power goes out I lose service at their end  :mad: 

But a UPS could still be useful; the reason I didn't repair mine when the battery died is whenever the power went out the thing would start beeping loudly to tell me the power was out.  And there was no way to shut it up.

I have a sucky cell phone now that can be used as a wifi hotspot.  That's my emergency backup.  Wife has a much better cellphone with a different carrier, so that gives some redundancy.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2022, 07:06:08 PM »
But a UPS could still be useful; the reason I didn't repair mine when the battery died is whenever the power went out the thing would start beeping loudly to tell me the power was out.  And there was no way to shut it up.

It's infuriating that only recently have most UPS makers gone to an onboard button or menu to shut that stupid thing off. There are actually software programs that will do it for you. Makers like ACP used to include the software with the UPS, but (last time I looked) there is shareware in the wild that will do it as well.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 12:44:33 AM »
Some good advice re troubleshooting.  I'll just add that my own experience with APC units has been less than stellar.  I'd had better luck with Tripp-Lite.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2022, 12:35:19 PM »
Don't remember how old. More than 5 years, but the battery is about a year (+/-) old.

But the unit is totally dead. If it was just a battery problem, it should still turn on and function as a surge suppressor. It won't even turn on. I think it's pretty much toast.

I assume you're turning this in to insurance, what with everything else that was damaged.

What I tell customers is, if a battery fixes it, great.  If not, you need a new UPS.  Sounds like you need a new UPS.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2022, 07:00:48 PM »
I assume you're turning this in to insurance, what with everything else that was damaged.

What I tell customers is, if a battery fixes it, great.  If not, you need a new UPS.  Sounds like you need a new UPS.

I think I will include it in the insurance claim.

The way it's going, after my deductible the insurance company might owe me 50 bucks -- maybe even 100 bucks.

Although I discovered today that my home alarm system is also among the casualties. I have no idea what that's going to cost.