Author Topic: Bird feeders  (Read 481 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Bird feeders
« on: December 01, 2022, 09:40:45 AM »
Wife has gotten into feeding birds.  I probably started it by setting up hummingbird feeders this summer.  We're going through a lot of birdseed.  I'm wondering about using fairly high-fat blends of seeds and cutting them 50% with non-medicated chicken scratch?  It would be a lot cheaper.  (the high-fat part is because chicken scratch doesn't have much fat.  And it's winter)  I could also use it as filler when I make suet cakes.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Bird feeders
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 10:02:39 AM »
I don't know anything about that, but please do not use honey to make your hummingbird feeder juice.

It can kill the hummingbirds because it can cause a fungus growth in their throats.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 11:07:20 AM »
I don't know anything about that, but please do not use honey to make your hummingbird feeder juice.

It can kill the hummingbirds because it can cause a fungus growth in their throats.

No, of course not.  I use just sugar and water.  A couple of times I put a little hibiscus in to turn it light red and acidify it a little but that didn't really do anything.
"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 11:45:00 AM »
My wife gets a lot of catalogs for things like bird food as a spin off from all the garden stuff she does.  She got some "special" hummingbird food.  The contents list had one item, sucrose.  Yep, very expensive sugar.

On the seed front, I only know they have lots of blends tailored for various types of birds.  I don't know much about it, but I would think scratch would be good for a lot of them.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 12:11:44 PM »
I buy suet cakes from Family Farm and Home.  I get 16 (I think) cakes in a package for less than 10 bucks.  I put two each in some cages made for suet cakes and hang from a small tree that we can see from the kitchen table.  We get all sorts of birds from sparrows, various types of woodpeckers, jays, cardinals and others.  They last for a good while.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 12:14:46 PM »
I buy 50# bags of black oil sunflower seeds from Mills Fleet Farm This lasts me about 5 months and all the birds in my neighborhood eat it, sans the summer hummingbirds. I also put out cheap oranges and cheap grape jelly for the orioles and cat birds in the spring.

My resident pine squirrel and gray squirrel also enjoy the sunflower seeds too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 05:42:05 PM »
A good mix is 50# black oil sunflower seeds and 15-20# white proso millet.  The millet that's swished on the ground gets eaten by sparrows, doves, and turkeys.  Most commercial bird mixes have stuff in them that birds just won't eat, wheat, for example.  We also keep a couple of suet blocks around for the downy woodpeckers.

There's a book called Backyard Bird Feeding by an author with the last name of Tory.  He knows his stuff.  Don't know where my copy is right now.