Author Topic: Coyote attacks toddler/daylight/suburban neighborhood  (Read 1818 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Coyote attacks toddler/daylight/suburban neighborhood
« on: December 03, 2022, 10:54:14 PM »
 Dad set the kid down for a second while grabbing stuff from the car after shopping. Yote tries to drag the tyke away
 I think it's California ( video )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5iN4RTa2jQ
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Coyote attacks toddler/daylight/suburban neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 03:22:15 AM »
Daddy throws like a girl.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 07:39:49 AM »
Daddy throws like a girl.

How would you throw if you were holding an infant in your other arm?

Terrifying video.  Don't know what I would do if it happened to one of my kids way before I carried routinely.

One of my neighbors who used to feed wildlife and had a cat has moved out.  I could swear, without statistical certainty, that her feeding of the little critters brought the bigger critters around, and suspect that some of the fleas around here was because of that.  It wasn't a flea epidemic, but after I realized what was happening I sprayed like hell around door jambs and other entry ways (plumbing holes, electrical outlets, drain pipes) and that cured the problem. 

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 08:00:52 AM »
Terrifying video.  Don't know what I would do if it happened to one of my kids way before I carried routinely.

You'd probably need to do the same thing whether you were packing or not. The coyote had the kid, so shooting it is out of the question. Depending on the environment, you might be able to shoot into the lawn to scare the yote. However in a residential neighborhood like that, there's a lot of stuff to deal with regarding where the bullet ends up, especially if you miss the lawn and hit the concrete.

A situation like this, and you've gotta get your hands dirty, like this mom did:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/connecticut-mom-saves-young-daughter-from-rabid-raccoon-attack-tosses-animal-into-yard
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 08:22:39 AM »
You'd probably need to do the same thing whether you were packing or not. The coyote had the kid, so shooting it is out of the question.  . . .
When Daddy got to the kid the coyote had already released her and was standing 10 feet away . . . an easy target with the child completely out of the line of fire. Shooting it then would have meant the carcass could have been recovered and tested, perhaps sparing the child rabies shots.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 09:13:21 AM »
I blame Trump and the NRA for this racist attack.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 09:15:47 AM »
PETA will probably cry foul for denying one of nature's creatures a meal.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 09:18:18 AM »
PETA will probably scream foul for denying one of nature's creatures a meal.
Aren't they the ones who call coyotes "songdogs?"   :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 09:26:48 AM »
Aren't they the ones who call coyotes "songdogs?"   :facepalm:

Think they were called that long before PETA came along.

If there's a pack of coyotes in the vicinity, you might just be lucky enough to hear their piercing howls, which can reach high volumes and vary in intensity as different group members, both young and old, join to form a sort of creepy canine chorus. "We know that there are regional dialects in a coyote's howl, kind of like accents," says Gehrt. These bone-chilling sounds have earned the coyote a reputation as the "song dog" of North America
Coyotes: The 'Song Dogs' of North America
https://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/coyote.htm
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 09:34:34 AM »
Ben's right.  My first thought was cap the coyote after you pic the kid up, or especially when it came back while the news team was there, but there are houses all around and no good backstop.  It's Cali, so I assume setting up some bait 40 yds into the wilderness bordering the neighborhood and waiting with an AR and thermals is a no go, but that's probably the safest route for everyone. 

In a related story you could get you a good dog:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-sheepdog-fights-off-kills-coyotes-pack-attacks-sheep

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 09:36:38 AM »
Darn things are getting too common around here.  Had a coyote in the yard last Monday night when I went to let the dogs out to do their business.  We always check the yard when we let the dogs out, especially at night.  We have a couple of good, bright LED flashlights that make it easy to spot things after dark.
Actually drew my Glock on a coyote a year or two ago when it came up into the back yard late one night after our dogs.  Just couldn't get a good shot off without endangering neighbors.

Edited to improve accuracy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:50:50 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 09:38:28 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 09:49:15 AM »
In a related story you could get you a good dog:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-sheepdog-fights-off-kills-coyotes-pack-attacks-sheep

Saw this story the other day.  What a great dog.  He should have a bunch of steak dinners coming his way.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 11:02:17 AM »
Well it is Kali afterall.  The coyote's life is much more important than the life of a human kid. :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 11:14:46 AM »
Meanwhile in DC, Democrats are like "Oh *expletive deleted*it, Coyote's ARE dragging kids across the border! Trump was right!"

ref: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/24/fact-check-trumps-coyote-remark-debate-taken-out-context/6008809002/

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 01:06:07 PM »
One good thing about coyotes - if they're around, they'll reduce the number of cats roaming around loose.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 01:24:31 PM »
 I currently live in Washoe Valley a rural area south of Reno - well - rural-ish.
A lot of older run down horse properties and quite a few new million dollar horse properties   - real close to national forest and a big state park. I've heard yotes now and then but there  are a lot of big dogs and it is a fairly "red" area not uncommon to see open carry in the local dollartree - no shooting allowed but you hear shooting occasionally.
 Older native Nevadans have always shot at yotes and they're nowhere near as brazen as suburban Cali yotes. 
Sooner or later we will hear of a little kid being dragged away and eaten but I doubt it will alarm the hoi polloi enough to arm themselves 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 02:05:37 PM »
One good thing about coyotes - if they're around, they'll reduce the number of cats roaming around loose.
Until you run out of cats and small dogs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 02:39:27 PM »
That's pretty terrifying.  I'm with the "needs to be shot" crowd.  Not for revenge, because not shooting it teaches it to drag the next kid away faster.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »
Dingos tried to eat his baby...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2022, 03:32:23 PM »
I'm not being snarky, just asking an honest question because I don't know. Do some of you live in an area where if you shot a coyote in a subdivision, you wouldn't be having a talk with Johnny Law? I know the area of CA where this happened. Houses are literally 20' or less apart in those housing tracts. At least a dozen neighbors would have called the cops on the guy, and he would likely have been taken to the pokey.

I 100% agree that you don't want yotes walking around that have a taste for human veal, but the neighborhood in the video is just a bad place to shoot. Even here in gun crazy Idaho, I suspect if someone shot a coyote in the street in North End Boise, there would be a half dozen cop cars there licktey split. Obviously once you're out in the 1 acre plus subdivisions the rules change.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2022, 04:44:17 PM »
I'm not being snarky, just asking an honest question because I don't know. Do some of you live in an area where if you shot a coyote in a subdivision, you wouldn't be having a talk with Johnny Law? I know the area of CA where this happened. Houses are literally 20' or less apart in those housing tracts. At least a dozen neighbors would have called the cops on the guy, and he would likely have been taken to the pokey.

I 100% agree that you don't want yotes walking around that have a taste for human veal, but the neighborhood in the video is just a bad place to shoot. Even here in gun crazy Idaho, I suspect if someone shot a coyote in the street in North End Boise, there would be a half dozen cop cars there licktey split. Obviously once you're out in the 1 acre plus subdivisions the rules change.

If I was in that neighborhood and had kids, I would acquire two identical rifles - one would be a pellet gun and one would be a .22LR .
I would bait the yotes into the back yard and drill them with sub sonics. When Karen called the police I would give them the pellet gun and show them the video of the yote taking the child to dinner, very doubtful they would even keep the pellet gun ... edited to add... if you're playing loud music, they'll never hear the sub sonics - metallica was my choice for urban sub sonic noise concealment

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2022, 04:49:44 PM »

I do have coyotes occasionally that come through my backyard because I live on an urban lake that is the result of a dammed creek, makes for a natural corridor for critters. Also being a typical lake lot, the houses are about 10' apart.

Yes, if I shot a coyote in my backyard, I would be cuffed in the back of a police cruiser in probably less than 10 minutes. My neighbors wouldn't say boo, but someone down the street would have called the cops or someone on the road would call in a man with a gun.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2022, 04:50:48 PM »
Well it is Kali afterall.  The coyote's life is much more important than the life of a human kid. :old:

I heard that the kid was secretly a white supremacist

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 05:05:54 PM »
One of my neighbors capped a 'yote this summer.  Cops weren't even called.  I suspect the few Karen's in the neighborhood that would call about that didn't recognize the single shot for what it was.  Dump half a mag and the sheriff's office will be along directly,  but a single shot didn't get anyone too excited. Our houses are 20-'30' apart and lots are 1/2 to 3/4 acre or so.

Our subdivision does back up on a whole bunch of state owned wilderness tract (which is where the 'yotes live) and neighbor made sure to position himself so those woods were behind the target, not a house.  I only know because he told me what had happened when my dogs got super sniffy at the bloodstain during a walk. He wanted to make sure I knew the locals were getting more aggressive.