Author Topic: Coyote attacks toddler/daylight/suburban neighborhood  (Read 1762 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Coyote attacks toddler/daylight/suburban neighborhood
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2022, 05:14:37 PM »
Coyote lives matter...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2022, 05:18:46 PM »
I'll concede that depending on the neighbors a lot of people might get away with a shot in a backyard, but I was more talking about "middle of the street" like in the video. And that was middle of an LA metro suburban street. There are going to be houses behind houses behind houses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 05:32:12 PM »
In a related story you could get you a good dog:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-sheepdog-fights-off-kills-coyotes-pack-attacks-sheep

That's quite a dog. Came out on top in an eight-against-one fight. That's impressive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 05:51:41 PM »
The immediate neighbors on three sides of me would likely buy me a beer for killing a yote.  I warned the neighbor to my north that coyotes are hanging around of late.  He's got a nice dog that I'd hate to see have a problem with coyotes.  He promptly told me about the shotgun and load he'll use if he sees one in his yard.
Don't know about any of the other neighbors further away.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2022, 05:51:57 PM »
I assume setting up some bait 40 yds into the wilderness bordering the neighborhood and waiting with an AR and thermals is a no go, but that's probably the safest route for everyone. 

Waddya think the coyotes are wearin bullet-proof vests?! The kids like to rub the hair on my legs!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2022, 06:08:43 PM »
I doubt I would be arrested if I shot a coyote that had just gone after a toddler.  That would assume I ran up and shot it close once in a fairly safe manner.  I would probably call them myself just to be safe and let them know what happened. 

Hunting in the city would be frowned on. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2022, 06:12:00 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On-MKFHdmfc
Here is the youtube video of the little girl getting bitten by a raccoon and the Mom flinging it away.  I wish the Mom could have killed the raccoon, but she did a good job of making sure everyone was inside before tossing it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2022, 06:12:16 PM »
RE: Dogmush's post, that was in Ga and I'll bet the dog is what's known as a "white English", not really a breed but the result of selectively breeding farm dogs to do exactly what that one did!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2022, 06:53:32 PM »
I'll concede that depending on the neighbors a lot of people might get away with a shot in a backyard, but I was more talking about "middle of the street" like in the video. And that was middle of an LA metro suburban street. There are going to be houses behind houses behind houses.

And I agreed with you on the LA 'hood.  FWIW, my neighbor wasn't in his yard when he capped the 'yore, he was walking his dog, and took the shot from a sidewalk into an open field, backed up by woods.  Not sure I would have taken the shot, but I'm not about getting bit either.  If you do shoot, you better be sure where that bullet goes.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2022, 10:43:22 PM »
This only emphasizes SSS. People or Varmint.  We're getting to the point where we can't shoot things that very much need shot,  that any reasonable person would agree need killing.

And for SSS, I'm about there for general use.  Gods help you if you shoot some ahole that has it coming and there isn't a VERY obvious camera recording the deed.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2022, 11:27:45 PM »
You can loose a single shot even in suburbia and you can get away with it 95% of the time

And if you are smart and use a .22 or especially a subsonic .22, even better. Take away that supersonic crack and well officer all I heard was a nail gun.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2022, 11:57:31 PM »
You can loose a single shot even in suburbia and you can get away with it 95% of the time

And if you are smart and use a .22 or especially a subsonic .22, even better. Take away that supersonic crack and well officer all I heard was a nail gun.

Probably better than 95% as long as there's no collateral damage.  A .38 Special or .380 is louder than a .22 but also doesn't have that *crack*.  It's not that uncommon to hear a single shot in the burbs, which might have been a backfire (it's amazing how much those sound alike), or a firecracker, or who knows what.  Nobody seems to get agitated.  Multiple shots would probably get a police response in a hurry.

I need to shoot some squirrels and starlings with a pellet gun, but any direction I shoot except down has a neighbor's window in the path. No matter how quiet I am, when I sneak outside the vermin run or fly up a tree just high enough that I can't get a downward shot.  I shot into the ground near one yesterday and that ran them off for a lot longer than just yelling at them or clapping or blowing an air horn.  (they seemed to know it was a real danger, not just a loud noise)
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2022, 12:32:09 AM »
In a case where I had evidence that a dog or coyote attacked a child (injuries, tooth marks on clothes, video, witnesses, whatever) I am fairly certain I would not have had any negative consequences for shooting the aggressive animal in the suburb I used to live - assuming I didn’t mess it up and put a round into an occupied vehicle or something. 

Where I live now it is hard to imagine anyone ever even calling the cops for gunfire, much less the police responding to it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2022, 08:52:03 AM »

I think that's true - every now and then I hear a "bang" somewhere within a few blocks, and even I can't always distinguish between a firecracker and a gunshot. Unless there's a fusillade of gunfire, an errant shot hits something it shouldn't, or someone takes a shot while the neighbors are hosting a garden party, it's going to be a non-event.

If the shot with a .22 is taken through an open window, with the muzzle well back from the opening, the noise audible outdoors will be noticeably reduced. (Don't hit the window frame.)

. . . I need to shoot some squirrels and starlings with a pellet gun, but any direction I shoot except down has a neighbor's window in the path . . .
I have very much the same problem where I'm at since they built homes on a couple of vacant lots next to mine. It almost seems the grackles and tree rats know they're in a safe space.   
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2022, 09:58:54 AM »
Well, the comments to my question are enlightening. It appears all my time in coastal CA really influenced me regarding how shooting in a neighborhood is perceived. It definitely looks to be more "acceptable" I guess, than I thought. At least under the right circumstances.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2022, 10:01:27 AM »
You guys don't have cans?  Are you even Americans?   >:D >:D

I'd be more worried about where the bullet ends up in a miss or a through and through than the sound.  Both morally (the neighborhood kids are annoying, but probably don't deserve rounds into their bedroom....yet) and legally.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2022, 10:09:07 AM »
.22 LR is pretty questionable on killing a moving yote, different if in a foot hold trap or snare. I prefer #4 buck shot or lead T shot if you can find it.

If I lived in a rural area with a coyote problem, I would have one or two of the livestock guardian dogs, I'm not talking about a German shepherd either.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »
If I lived in a rural area with a coyote problem, I would have one or two of the livestock guardian dogs, I'm not talking about a German shepherd either.

Or a donkey.  They hate canids.  (but your dogs won't be safe either)
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2022, 10:24:15 AM »
That's pretty terrifying.  I'm with the "needs to be shot" crowd.  Not for revenge, because not shooting it teaches it to drag the next kid away faster.

I agree that in circumstances like that with the remote chance of collateral damage from a shot, I doubt there would be repercussions from the neighbors or the police.  You might get a neighborhood gold star or a choklit cake or something.  I doubt there'd be any "Why the bullet went right by my head I kooda bin kilt." people.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 03:00:15 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2022, 09:01:36 AM »
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:20:48 AM by 230RN »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2022, 08:54:57 PM »
.22 LR is pretty questionable on killing a moving yote

perhaps, but I bet it's considerably annoying, they're probably gonna go somewhere else if shots are hitting the target
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2022, 09:47:23 PM »
I've seen dead deer on the roads within two miles of my URBAN house.

Then again, around here... We had a guy at my store yesterday whose girlfriend had ripped out his colostomy bag before throwing him out of the car, It took 911 about 20 minutes to respond.

Yeah, that's South St. Louis...
Blog under construction

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2022, 08:25:14 PM »
perhaps, but I bet it's considerably annoying, they're probably gonna go somewhere else if shots are hitting the target

Four or 5 years ago I shot a couple of coyotes in my back yard, with a .22lr.  They'd been getting real brave, showing up at the back fence (100yds from the house) and standing there while the dog & I walked towards it, walking through the front yard (within 10yds of the house), all in all making me worry about the dog & DW.  For a few nights I threw some old dog food in the back yard.  The last night I setup near the firewood stack.  Damn, there were many more than I'd expected - must have been a dozen running around the yard.  One of them stopped & stared at me, let him have a round in the chest.  It took off like it'd been shot.  The rest hung around, so I nailed another one.  That's when they all left.  The next day, I didn't find any bodies but did see a bunch of buzzards circling an area a few hundred yards away.

I have heard them singing in the distance but haven't seen any since then.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2022, 09:38:01 PM »
I don't like coyotes any more than the next guy, but damn, if you are going to do them, try and do them clean.

Bleeding out from an underpowered bullet wound is a shitty way to go.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2022, 10:34:28 PM »
Four or 5 years ago I shot a couple of coyotes in my back yard, with a .22lr.  They'd been getting real brave, showing up at the back fence (100yds from the house) and standing there while the dog & I walked towards it, walking through the front yard (within 10yds of the house), all in all making me worry about the dog & DW.  For a few nights I threw some old dog food in the back yard.  The last night I setup near the firewood stack.  Damn, there were many more than I'd expected - must have been a dozen running around the yard.  One of them stopped & stared at me, let him have a round in the chest.  It took off like it'd been shot.  The rest hung around, so I nailed another one.  That's when they all left.  The next day, I didn't find any bodies but did see a bunch of buzzards circling an area a few hundred yards away.

I have heard them singing in the distance but haven't seen any since then.
That sounds similar to what my old boss went through when he lived local.  Hogs started coming into his yard and digging things up.  He finally was able to see them one night.  Shot one with a 22.  Best he could tell is they would stay away a while if one was shot. 

His neighborhood was all 1 acre plots, but they don't allow shooting.  That was why he was using an under powered 22 in a long barreled rifle.  It worked did the job.  He didn't have a suppressor.