Author Topic: Emergency food supply option  (Read 1766 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Emergency food supply option
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2022, 12:59:50 PM »
Point taken, and yeah, I was specifically talking about lighting. I don't have much use for candles for heating or whatnot (for home use) simply because I have many other options. I could see their utility for apartment dwellers or others (including backwoods survival).
Right, you specified lighting and I am completely with you there.

Also, like you, I have plenty of better options for emergency heating and cooking at my house - namely more trees than I know what to do with and small, portable stoves that can burn it.  I've been keeping my in-laws in firewood just cutting up standing dead and some of the stuff that has blown down.

Speaking of backwoods use of candles, I love those little tea lights for starting stubborn campfires.  No muss, no fuss, just stack twigs over the candle and light it.  Doesn't even have to be spectacularly dry stuff.

In the winter I like to keep a big, three-wick candle in the truck.  Never had to use it but it's cheap insurance.  Actually, it is a Christmas candle from Goodwill with little peppermints embedded in the side.  If it came down to it, I guess I could dig those out and try to eat them ...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2022, 01:06:07 PM »

In the winter I like to keep a big, three-wick candle in the truck. 

I need to look at doing that. After nearly 4 years, I'm not sure my "living with real Winter" vehicle kits are necessarily up to snuff. I've only recently started carrying kitty litter in the 4Runner. The truck has sandbags in the back, but I don't intentionally drive that when it's icy.

The rucks in each vehicle will certainly let me survive "surviving" in a Winter emergency, but I'd rather be in a real sleeping bag than a foil emergency bivy. I know there's other stuff that I could add for "stranded roadside comfort" for local driving. On Winter road trips, I'm loaded down with good gear.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2022, 03:55:44 PM »
I need to look at doing that. After nearly 4 years, I'm not sure my "living with real Winter" vehicle kits are necessarily up to snuff. I've only recently started carrying kitty litter in the 4Runner. The truck has sandbags in the back, but I don't intentionally drive that when it's icy.

The rucks in each vehicle will certainly let me survive "surviving" in a Winter emergency, but I'd rather be in a real sleeping bag than a foil emergency bivy. I know there's other stuff that I could add for "stranded roadside comfort" for local driving. On Winter road trips, I'm loaded down with good gear.

I’ve been toting around a winter emergency bag in our Explorer for the past 6 winters and have t ran I to more than 3” of snow here in SW Ohio.  But, I’ll keep it in there just in case. 

I usually get 6-8 bags of sand for the bed of the pick up for weight and traction aid if need be.  Really don’t have an emergency bag in the truck but I need to make sure there’s one in there just in case.

We have 5 of those power blocks that we keep charged and usually take one with us when traveling. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2022, 04:18:34 PM »
I have a number of LED light options myself, but I realize that power isn't replaceable if the house power is out.  A small candle can put out enough light to move around by even if I wouldn't want to read by candle light.  A small box of candles will last you a good while if you just use them a couple hours a night.  I guess I should keep matches with them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2022, 04:43:04 PM »
I have a number of LED light options myself, but I realize that power isn't replaceable if the house power is out.  A small candle can put out enough light to move around by even if I wouldn't want to read by candle light.  A small box of candles will last you a good while if you just use them a couple hours a night.  I guess I should keep matches with them.

That's where I was coming from with my qiestion about USB power. Nice to have those electric power options, but it too is limited.  Obviously, the same can be said with respect to running out of candles, though.  Or fuel for your generator.  I guess in those extremes we're just SOL and have to hope it never gets to that point.

Terry, 230RN

Edited for typo.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:08:30 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2022, 06:16:10 PM »

Or a candle wick stuck into a can of Crisco.  I wasn't sure that would work; wife has been burning a lot of candles lately for some reason and I made one out of vegetable shortening with a little bit of scented wax to make it fancy.  It burns just fine, doesn't smoke, and I'd bet it didn't really need the wax because there wasn't much wax.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2022, 11:39:48 PM »
A poster remarked:

"...wife has been burning a lot of candles lately for some reason and I made one out of vegetable shortening..."

Hmmm... is she also mixing up strange combinations of herbs and spices and other weird stuff?

Gathering moss at night from the north sides of trees?

Recently acquired a small pet of some sort... especially a cat?

Shown interest in a small servant's bell at an antique shop? 

Hmmm.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 11:52:34 PM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2022, 12:28:14 AM »
A poster remarked:

"...wife has been burning a lot of candles lately for some reason and I made one out of vegetable shortening..."

Hmmm... is she also mixing up strange combinations of herbs and spices and other weird stuff?

Gathering moss at night from the north sides of trees?

Recently acquired a small pet of some sort... especially a cat?

Shown interest in a small servant's bell at an antique shop? 

Hmmm.

None of those things, but I like where you're going with this ;)
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2022, 06:38:41 AM »
I was originally going to comment on shortening candles.  I found you had to use a stiff wick tied down to one of the little base plates you find at the bottom of most tealight candles.  Reason for this is the lower melting point (in my case, Crisco and lard) melts the whole mass of shortening, allowing the wick to fall over into the molten shortening and snuff itself out.  If you conquer that, there's then the differential between the liquid level going down slowly while the wick is more rapidly getting shorter... allowing the wick to snuff out.  This is apparntly dependent on the diameter of the mass of molten shortening, which in my 'speriments was about two inches in diameter (about the diameter of a tea light candle holder.) This all was with the regular wicking you can buy to make candles with. Seemed like it was a race between the liquid level decreasing and the wick getting shorter and drowning itself.

Upshot 1: using shortening seemed more appropriate to an oil lamp operation rather than candles.

Upshot 2:  I decided that for emergency lighting, tealight candles in proper tealight cups were pretty safe, so I have a mess of them, but I also have a stock of what they call plumber's candles.

Upshot 3:  Moths are a danger, and although I did not have a cat at the time, I know that moths drive cats boogeyshit and it seemed like it could be dangerous if a cat was going crazy after a moth around a candle.

All this scientifical research stuff took place soon after I retired and found time to diddle around with it.

You got the track I was running on.  Only half-kidding about that.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2022, 11:31:11 AM »
I will have to look at the Compleats meals next time I go to the store. 

I am not a huge fan of the random food packs as they include a lot of foods I don't like.  However, I realize that if I am depending on that food, I am not in good shape and may have given up being picky.   =)

As far as I can tell at this point, with Compleats available at all local supermarkets and even a Walgreen's they don't sell variety packs.   They have each type of meal separately stacked, but all next to each other.  I just grab two of these and three of those and four of that and like that there.  I have not tried Dinty Moore, which has a similar product which is usually right next to the Compleats, but simply because I don't need to.  I might try Dinty Moore next time I'm shppping but I can't imagine them being a whole lot different.

Terry, 230RN

REF (To keep Doggy Daddy happy):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walgreens

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2022, 11:50:09 AM »
I was originally going to comment on shortening candles.  I found you had to use a stiff wick tied down to one of the little base plates you find at the bottom of most tealight candles.  Reason for this is the lower melting point (in my case, Crisco and lard) melts the whole mass of shortening, allowing the wick to fall over into the molten shortening and snuff itself out.  If you conquer that, there's then the differential between the liquid level going down slowly while the wick is more rapidly getting shorter... allowing the wick to snuff out.  This is apparntly dependent on the diameter of the mass of molten shortening, which in my 'speriments was about two inches in diameter (about the diameter of a tea light candle holder.) This all was with the regular wicking you can buy to make candles with. Seemed like it was a race between the liquid level decreasing and the wick getting shorter and drowning itself.

Upshot 1: using shortening seemed more appropriate to an oil lamp operation rather than candles.

Upshot 2:  I decided that for emergency lighting, tealight candles in proper tealight cups were pretty safe, so I have a mess of them, but I also have a stock of what they call plumber's candles.

Upshot 3:  Moths are a danger, and although I did not have a cat at the time, I know that moths drive cats boogeyshit and it seemed like it could be dangerous if a cat was going crazy after a moth around a candle.

All this scientifical research stuff took place soon after I retired and found time to diddle around with it.

You got the track I was running on.  Only half-kidding about that.

The shortening candle that I made, I used a wick from the craft store and glued the metal tab to the bottom of a largish votive candle holder.  It's kinda globe shaped, wider at the top than the bottom and the top is about 2 1/4" across.  I eyeballed how much shortening it would hold for about 85% fill and melted that in the microwave in another container.  I added one little cube of smell-good-wax to make it female-acceptable and stirred it in (it dissolved *very* slowly)  The wax also should harden the shortening some.  Poured it up, and put the thing outside on the tailgate of my pickup to harden.  (outside was colder than in the fridge, and I didn't want the butter to pick up candle scent)

In operation, the fuel is lasting a *long* time, and the wick needs trimming occasionally because it's not burning away fast enough and it frays at the very top of the ash.  Only about 1/2 to 3/4" of the shortening melts.  If the wick were not glued down, it would be just fine for now but would likely fall over eventually as the candle burned down.

Wife doesn't know that it's made with shortening, or at least if she has figured it out she's not letting on.  It looks just like a "soy wax" candle.

I think an oiled cotton string just punched down into a can of shortening would work okay.  But divvying up into half-pint canning jars would probably be better because that's an appropriate diameter for craft store wicks.

You could probably put a utility candle in a jar and pour shortening around it to make it last longer.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2022, 12:58:38 PM »
Speaking of emergency rations, I've been watching some of Steve1989MRE's videos on Utoob lately...

How in the name of all that is holy has the guy not poisoned himself with some of the stuff that he's tasted?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2022, 01:52:38 PM »

I figgered it out from the context.  Plus, we have one on just about every corner out here.   =)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2022, 12:29:28 AM »
I figgered it out from the context.  Plus, we have one on just about every corner out here.   =)

ROFL
Have a beer on me =D.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2022, 12:35:04 AM »
As this house is blessed with a fireplace, gas heat & hot water, all I need is my portable generator to make the furnace blower "stir things up".
I have been making (and refilling) my own candles for years and I have several kerosene lamps.  The lamps actually provide more light and heat than the candles in the wintertime and actually run longer than many of the candles.  I sometimes use the little aluminum-cupped tea lights as they are "self-extinguishing" after about 2.5 hours.
I have one large "emergency candle" that I made by pouring paraffin in a 1 gal. plastic bucket and used a wick that I had never seen before or since.  The wick is almost the diameter of a wooden pencil and I did test the candle for about 5-6 minutes to be sure it burned well without smoking.
I have used Pringle's cans to make tall pillars but they can only be used once.  Same for plastic frozen juice concentrate containers.  Most of the time, I refill assorted glass candle jars and store them until needed in the winter.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
As far as I can tell at this point, with Compleats available at all local supermarkets and even a Walgreen's they don't sell variety packs.   They have each type of meal separately stacked, but all next to each other.  I just grab two of these and three of those and four of that and like that there.  I have not tried Dinty Moore, which has a similar product which is usually right next to the Compleats, but simply because I don't need to.  I might try Dinty Moore next time I'm shppping but I can't imagine them being a whole lot different.

Terry, 230RN

For me, I was referring to the other product mentioned in the OP.  The bulk 3 month supply packs often have a big variety of meal types.  I tend to be pretty picky with food.  Either it would end up being given away or I would save it until that was all that was left.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2022, 10:57:00 AM »
The shortening candle that I made, I used a wick from the craft store and glued the metal tab to the bottom of a largish votive candle holder.  It's kinda globe shaped, wider at the top than the bottom and the top is about 2 1/4" across.  I eyeballed how much shortening it would hold for about 85% fill and melted that in the microwave in another container.  I added one little cube of smell-good-wax to make it female-acceptable and stirred it in (it dissolved *very* slowly)  The wax also should harden the shortening some.  Poured it up, and put the thing outside on the tailgate of my pickup to harden.  (outside was colder than in the fridge, and I didn't want the butter to pick up candle scent)

In operation, the fuel is lasting a *long* time, and the wick needs trimming occasionally because it's not burning away fast enough and it frays at the very top of the ash.  Only about 1/2 to 3/4" of the shortening melts.  If the wick were not glued down, it would be just fine for now but would likely fall over eventually as the candle burned down.

Wife doesn't know that it's made with shortening, or at least if she has figured it out she's not letting on.  It looks just like a "soy wax" candle.

I think an oiled cotton string just punched down into a can of shortening would work okay.  But divvying up into half-pint canning jars would probably be better because that's an appropriate diameter for craft store wicks.

You could probably put a utility candle in a jar and pour shortening around it to make it last longer.
Try that with bacon grease or lard.  Better aroma.     =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2022, 11:00:48 AM »
I have a propane lantern, a butane cartridge stove, and several kerosene lamps and lanterns. I also have a UCO candalier 3 candle lamp, and that thing gets hot enough on top to boil a cup of water pretty easily.

I also have the pellet stove, but that requires electric to run.  I could run it easily with the smallest generator that they make, but in the 30+ years I've lived here I've never lost power in winter for more than a few minutes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2022, 12:02:21 PM »
^ "I also have a UCO candalier 3 candle lamp, and that thing gets hot enough on top to boil a cup of water pretty easily."

That sounds like my make-do tin can/Sterno stove.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2022, 12:04:55 PM »
Oh yeah, I've also got a sterno stove with a bunch of cans of chafing dish sterno. Not the best for cooking, as the lid opening is smaller than the cooking cans, but a few minutes of modification in the can with a snips and it cooks just fine.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2022, 10:32:58 PM »
Soup can sterno stove.  Slots for intake, exhaust, made with beer can opener ("churchkey").  Positioning and number may be varied according to whim or thermodynamic knowledge.  A bigger can might be better,  but there's the technology for you.

I opened up one of the cans of Sterno because it felt "empty" and there still was gelatinous stuff in it which burned, but I guess Sterno's idea of a hermetic steel to steel seal wasn't ideal.  This was from a "new" but at least eight year old little carton of Sterno cans.

One thing to remember is that if the Sterno flame itself  is cooled by hitting a cold surface, it will be generating carbon monoxide (CO).  I'm sensitive to that like a canary, so I know.

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2023, 07:18:14 AM »
I finally picked up a can of Turkey Spam to try, and I have to say...

Meh.

It's OK. Makes OK sandwiches and is OK pan fried with eggs, but the turkey anuses just don't have the same snap as pig anuses in regular Spam.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2023, 09:29:49 PM »
That doesn’t even sound appealing