Author Topic: Philly gas station owner sick of crime, hires AR-15-wielding security  (Read 532 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Philly gas station owner sick of crime, hires AR-15-wielding security
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 02:10:48 PM »
When the first low life POS community parasite, whoops I mean outstanding community hero and all around nice guy, gets shot the city will come down on the station owner like a ton of bricks. Say his name.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 05:06:34 PM »
I guess it is the intimidation factor.  He can't really shoot thieves who have no weapon. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 06:37:07 PM »
Desperate times takes desperate measures.  Guess they’re tired of all the crime going on in that area.

Imagine if there is an incident the owner will be the scapegoat.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 06:48:37 PM »
How is this different, legally, from any other armed private security guard? PR wise, I agree it's different, but the armed guard laws should be the same here as it is at a bank, mall, orange other armed security post.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 07:10:57 PM »
Side note:

If this is the guards they are talking about, I am unimpressed.  https://twitter.com/JasonFox29/status/1599954291938074624?s=20&t=yLn-1UhjRZVEyv5ngwH_GQ

A 9mm AR pistol on one, and a unreliable bullpup 12ga probably aren't the long guns I'd go for.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 09:49:47 PM »
During the Floyd, etc., crap here in St. Louis (yeah, they took full advantage...), a local stop'n'rob got... protested at for two nights in a row. Third night, they had Bubba sitting in the front door with an AR.

No problems after that.

Maybe "protesters" would try to test it, but "looters" are generally more intelligent.
Blog under construction

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 10:07:27 PM »
My thoughts would be twofold. 

1. Is he playing lookout for someone inside who's robbing the joint and anyone who ventures in? (Unlikely, but it would occur to me.) 

2.  It's too bad things have gone that far that armed guards are needed at a damned gas station.

I'd probably tap my pocket instinctively but unnecessarily and hope five J-frame shots would be adequate, but hobble in anyhow.  I might switch my cane to my off hand "just in case."

Or, as HeroHog observed, "I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!"

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 10:52:19 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 07:04:12 AM »
In 1991 there were riots in Washington, DC, along the Georgia Ave. corridor after a guy was shot by the cops during a Cinco de Mayo street party that got out of hand.

The first night it was mostly locals with some police cars burned and a few stores looted. The second night the out of town "talent" came in to riot, and riot they did. Lots of looting and destruction.

One of the only stores not looted or burned in the Mount Pleasant area was owned by a man who sat out front all night armed with a shotgun. Police left him alone, and the rioters largely left him alone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 07:56:04 AM »
^^  That kind of thing is true, see also: the rooftop Koreans of LA, but I confess if I pulled into a gas station and saw either one of those guys flagging traffic, the parking lot, and the gas pumps, I'd pull back out and keep going.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 08:24:16 AM »
Local QT stations have armed guards. My Aldi has a no-*expletive deleted*it-taking ol' boy with a revolver on his hip and a slapjack in his back pocket.

I go in, I say "How you doin', Sixgun?"
Blog under construction

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 11:46:32 AM »
What's "QT" and "Aldis?"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 12:02:56 PM »
What's "QT" and "Aldis?"

QT is a convenience store, very similar to 7-Eleven.  I don't think there are any around here, but I see lots of them in Missouri.  I thought everyone knew that Aldi is a discount (mostly private label) supermarket.  Do you not have them in Colorado?  (if not, how do you afford groceries?)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 12:12:57 PM »
QT is a convenience store, very similar to 7-Eleven.  I don't think there are any around here, but I see lots of them in Missouri.  I thought everyone knew that Aldi is a discount (mostly private label) supermarket.  Do you not have them in Colorado?  (if not, how do you afford groceries?)

I actually only know about Aldis because it's mentioned so often here on APS. I guess they had them in CA, but none anywhere I was. From their store locator, they appear to be completely missing from the entire Pacific Northwest, and much of the mountain West.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 12:56:40 PM »
QT = Quick Trip?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 02:02:48 PM »
QT = Quick Trip?

Yup.
Regional and growing convenience store/gas station chain.
Generally, my first choice due to overall cleanliness and lack of scuzzy-ness.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2022, 11:50:43 PM »
It seemed kind of provincial to assume everything in "my" province is the same all over the world in every other province.

Just wondered about it.  No, not that I know of here in Colorado, another province out of 50 of them, and  I haven't refilled my mind reading pill Rx yet.

Terry

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 12:03:19 AM by 230RN »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 03:40:41 AM »
It seemed kind of provincial to assume everything in "my" province is the same all over the world in every other province.

Just wondered about it.  No, not that I know of here in Colorado, another province out of 50 of them, and  I haven't refilled my mind reading pill Rx yet.

Terry

Out here in the heathen provinces we have a thing called "Google".   =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2022, 06:23:51 AM »
The question would not have occurred if something like "stop and grab" and "local supermarket " had been used instead of "QT" and "Aldis."

Best writing advice I ever got was "Put the reader's head on your shoulders."

If I had referred to "The torch in the harbor," without referents, I'm sure I'd have got questions from the 49 other provinces about the Statue of Liberty's torch in New York Harbor.

But writing styles vary, so that's that.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:35:58 AM by 230RN »