Author Topic: Wednesday on Netflix  (Read 743 times)

dogmush

• friend
Wednesday on Netflix
« on: December 07, 2022, 06:52:08 PM »
Wife and I watched Wednesday on Netflix last week.

It's Netflix's spin on an Addams family show, helmed by Tim Burton.  We talked about it a little here when the trailer came out: https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=62711.msg1368447#msg1368447

Overall, I was entertained.  It's not the most amazing television experience to come along in forever, but I enjoyed it.  I will say, it's a teen drama.  It has many of the plot highlights of something like The Vampire Diaries, Riverdale, or Chronicles of Shanarra.  They definitely went with that genre.  That said, the writing is pretty good. The Wednesday schtick never gets too overdone.  They didn't write her as a Mary Sue that everything just comes together for.  Wednesday definately has setbacks and has to overcome challenges.

I think Jenna Ortega carries this cast.  more than anything else she manages to embody Wednesday while still facing challenges, growing as a character, and winning, while not getting old, annoying, or boring to watch. Gwendoline Christie also does a good job as a charector with contradictions.  Her acting is pretty solid. Thing's portrayal is also well done and pretty funny.

If you like the character, but aren't stuck on the 90's Christina Ricci movies as absolute cannon, this series is a fun watch, but realize that it's not a deep character study.  It's a teen drama whodunit. Within that framework, it's a fun several hours of TV, with a really cool performance by a young(er) actress.  It's looking like there will be a season two as well.

From our previous thread:  Luis Guzman's Gomez is honestly a little creepy and offputting, at least to me.  From the internet, I am have learned that it's much closer to the original 1930's comics than either the TV show from the 60's or the 90's movies.  Having read several of those comics now, I can see what Guzman and Burton were going for but, again, if John Astin is your ride or die cannon, it'll be jarring.  Catherine Zeta Jones hit Morticia out of the park, I thought.  She was dark, but still cared deeply about her family, and.....that's quite a dress.

Anyway, if you watch it for what it is, a slightly different take and story on characters that are almost 100 years old, it's fun, and better than a lot of TV out there.  If you go in expecting a beat by beat continuation of the 60's show, you will be disappointed and, I feel, miss out on some fun.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Wednesday on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 10:07:06 PM »
Guzman is the Addams Gomez.

And Christina Ricci is also in it...
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 10:19:12 AM »
Binged it last night. Yes, it's Woke, but not to the point I was reaching for the remote. Gotta admit, overall, I liked it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 11:11:50 AM »
Binged it last night. Yes, it's Woke, but not to the point I was reaching for the remote. Gotta admit, overall, I liked it.

I'm up to episode 7.  Will finish it tonight.  I did not really like ep 4, too much like a drama on CW network, but it might have been necessary to the overall story.  The rest have been pretty solid and 4 wasn't that bad.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 11:12:43 AM »
I don't have Netflix, unfortunately, but would really like to see this.

I absolutely LOVED Adult Wednesday Adams on Utoob.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »
How is Fred Armisen as Uncle Fester?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 11:43:44 AM »
I haven't tried to watch Wednesday yet.  I will have to check it out.

I watched Troll last night.  Neat movie.  Not great, but interesting.  Sort of like the Godzilla movies.  The monster parts were okay.  The people parts were subpar. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 11:55:55 AM »
How is Fred Armisen as Uncle Fester?

Good.  Not even recognizable as Armisen.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 01:33:51 PM »
I don't have Netflix, unfortunately, but would really like to see this.

I absolutely LOVED Adult Wednesday Adams on Utoob.

Haven't watched yet.  These reviews may have convinced me to try it.  Setting aside that she is my son's age, Jenna Ortega is easy on the eyes.

Oh, and adult Wednesday Adam's on YouTube may be one of the best things on there.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 02:45:19 PM »
Adult Wednesday Addams on YouTube was GREAT! I was so sad they forced her to stop.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 02:59:37 PM »
I just watched episode 1. As HH said, they had to get some woke stuff in, but it wasn't outrageously so, the way most current Netflix stuff is. Overall I liked it and will finish the series.

I wasn't bothered by Guzman's Gomez appearance-wise, even though I'm not a Guzman fan. What bothered me was Guzman talking in his New York/Puerto Rican accent or whatever it is, which just seemed totally out of place to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 06:18:48 PM »
I really like the "nods" to the 64 series they threw in here and there. See how many you can catch. Perhaps we can start a list in another thread to avoid spoilers.
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 06:22:41 PM »
I'm digging it. Kind of reminds me of the Wednesday from the Chas Addams cartoons.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2022, 06:23:37 PM »
I really like the "nods" to the 64 series they threw in here and there. See how many you can catch. Perhaps we can start a list in another thread to avoid spoilers.

There's a recurring one that makes me smile every time I see it.  *snap*  *snap*  (especially the first time, of course)  I'm being intentionally vague.  But that's the only one.  I'll have to start looking for Easter eggs.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 09:23:49 PM »
There's a recurring one that makes me smile every time I see it.  *snap*  *snap*  (especially the first time, of course)  I'm being intentionally vague.  But that's the only one.  I'll have to start looking for Easter eggs.

Yeah, that one made me chuckle as well.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2023, 04:14:07 PM »
My wife and I are halfway through it, and Thing is our favorite character.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2023, 05:11:20 PM »
After watching the whole season, I give it a thumbs up and look forward to season 2. They ended up throwing a little more woke crap in to the later episodes, like, "werewolves and gender fluidity" or something, but it was ignorable. The Wednesday dance turned into a Youtube sensation. Very cool that they went old school with the Cramps (though the song is much older).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 07:35:31 AM »
OK... over Christmas I started watching The Last Kingdom at my friend's place. It's on Netflix.

With the new TV coming, me being in the middle of The Last Kingdom, and my really wanting to see Wednesday, I guess I'm signing up for Netflix.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2023, 05:51:16 PM »
Potential trouble in Wednesdayville for Netflix

Netflix's Wednesday could move to rival Amazon ahead of season two renewal... after $8.5B MGM deal
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11592565/Netflixs-Wednesday-rival-Amazon-ahead-season-two-renewal-8-5B-MGM-deal.html

Netflix might be in some trouble because of the rights to The Adams Family now transferred to Amazon. This new issue might make them lose the rights to Wednesday season 2!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=697MMwJ4_LE
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2023, 06:40:14 PM »
I just came here to post that...

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2023, 07:52:44 AM »
Related

Lisa Loring, original Wednesday Addams actress, dead at 64
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/30/entertainment/lisa-loring-wednesday-addams-dead-intl-scli/index.html

With Lisa's passing, 92-year-old John Astin - who played Wednesday's father Gomez - is now the last surviving member of the original cast of The Addams Family.
An (Addams) Family affair! As Lisa Loring dies at the age of 64, FEMAIL takes a look back at what happened to the stars of the beloved original series - from Morticia's secret cancer battle to Uncle Fester's family squandering his fortune
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11691595/As-Lisa-Loring-dies-64-FEMAIL-looks-happened-original-Addams-Family-cast.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2023, 11:06:38 AM »
RIP Wednesday...
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2023, 11:58:55 AM »
Binged it over the weekend. As others have noted, not the absolute top-tier of shows ever made, but enjoyable nonetheless. Callbacks to the OG are a nice touch, some very surprising. Thing's introduction to the roommate was a genuine belly-laugh moment. Occasional slow pacing, but consistent enough to keep interest.

Luis Guzman's Gomez is a dead ringer for the comic character's appearance but his acting is very one-dimensional and more than a little forced. Okay for what it is, but they could have done much better.

Anyone but me notice similarity in the Hyde's facial appearance to a character's morphed visage in another Tim Burton horror comedy?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB