Main Forums > The Roundtable

Police Raid Lingerie Shop

<< < (2/9) > >>

Perd Hapley:

--- Quote ---"I feel like I`m in 1690 Salem, Massachusetts and we`re looking for a witch to burn" says the stores owner.
Drama queen. 

RadioFreeSeaLab:
No, she's just about right.  Policing which sex toys are sold is not valid police work.  It's none of the government's damn business.

HankB:
That what they get for failing to provide freebies to the local constabulary . . . 

(Plus, it's safer than raiding a crack house or meth lab.)

Tallpine:
Maybe happiness really is Lubbock, Texas in the rear view mirror ... 

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote ---No, she's just about right.
No, she's exactly right.  Remember that these are the same people who arrested a bunch of Chippendale dancers a few months ago, going so far as to put them in leg irons.

Our city government has become obsessed with being the morality police.  This latest eye-roller is in addition to the Chippendales fiasco, and shutting down all the sexually oriented businesses (aka strip clubs) on even the most minute technicality in their permit applications.  By the way, the video taped "evidence" the police submitted for proscecution in the Chippendales case was released recently.  It is so laughably devoid of any actual violations that I wish the Chippendales organization really had taken the city to court over it, if for no other reason than the negative publicity and to wipe their officious noses in it.

This is also the same city government that has been beating us over the head with red-light cameras.  They have endlessly claimed the cameras are there "for safety", only to change the light locations at the last minute "because studies have shown that the intersections in question do not have enough violations for the cameras to be economically viable".  (a direct quote from both the city trafic engineer and one of our illustrious city councilpersons).

The most unfortunate part about this whole deal is the store clerk that was arrested.  If convicted on the charges they are trying for, the clerk would be forever branded as a sex offender.  A lifetime of derision, persecution, and ridicule for someone who is guilty of simply showing up for work, and city doesn't care (see assistant DA's comments in story above).  I guess as long as they prosecute someone they feel like they've done their job.

Brad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version