Author Topic: republican debate last night  (Read 5753 times)

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
republican debate last night
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:14:07 AM »
PBS hosted a debate of some Republican presidential contenders last night.

There was an amazing amount of support for modifiying the war on drugs. Seeing as it has been an abysmal failure at anything other than wasting money, its not too surprising people are starting to wonder if it is worthwhile. Eventually the politicians start to wonder too.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: republican debate last night
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 05:18:14 AM »
I'm too sick of question-dodging debates to watch any more of them.

And won't pay attention to "war on drugs" blather till one of them mentions disbanding BATFE and starting over.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 05:30:37 AM »
amen!  anyone old enough to remember dea was a temporary agency gifted us by nixon? we do need to figure out what to do with all the employees and infrastructure built up,  and remember all the small kings will fight to keep kingdoms

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
I've given up on anything less than a direct asteroid strike on DC  sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »
amen!  anyone old enough to remember dea was a temporary agency gifted us by nixon? we do need to figure out what to do with all the employees and infrastructure built up,  and remember all the small kings will fight to keep kingdoms

no such thing as a temporary government agency. we got the BATFE when the prohibition ended and instead of just laying off the prohibition bureau a whole new monster was created.

we could probably just plain eliminate 20% of the federal government and few people would even notice, except those whose pay checks stopped.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 06:56:01 PM »
Watching a political debate is like being bukkakked with stupid. No thanks.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
Balog, that may be the most disturbing image I've conjured in a long time, even more so than Hellary's boobage.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:04:12 PM »
Balog, that may be the most disturbing image I've conjured in a long time, even more so than Hellary's boobage.

Thanks. Wish I could say I'd thought it up, but I'm pretty sure I heard it somewhere. Possibly here.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 04:12:11 AM »
. . . we could probably just plain eliminate 20% of the federal government and few people would even notice, except those whose pay checks stopped.
More than that, I'll wager.

Some years ago, when I was living in the People's Republic of Minnesota, virtually all the state's public employees went on strike.

Ambulances, fire trucks, and police cars kept rolling.

The lights stayed on, water kept running, banks remained open, the airports kept operating.

Street repairs continued, supermarkets kept being restocked, hospitals and doctor's offices stayed open.

Aside from students at U of M who had longer lines to stand in during registration, virtually nobody noticed the strike. And after a couple of weeks, when THAT little tidbit began to be reported on the news and local talk radio, the strike was settled.

(Do YOU personally remember missing anything when Clinton "shut down" the Federal government when he vetoed the GOP budget a couple of times?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »
I have to agree with Tallpine

Claire Wolfe was right
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 11:56:42 PM »
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

Can it ever be "too early to shoot the bastards"?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »
Actually, I think it is "too late" already .... Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin