Author Topic: Today Iowa, Tomorrow the World !!!!!  (Read 6120 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Today Iowa, Tomorrow the World !!!!!
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:35:37 AM »
DES MOINES, Iowa - The campaign of Democrat Barack Obama moved quickly Thursday to dampen any expectations raised by Michelle Obama who said this week that her husband has to win Iowa.

Most polls in Iowa show the Illinois senator in a tight race with Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and John Edwards. During a visit Wednesday to Davenport, Iowa, Michelle Obama commented on the importance of a strong showing in the caucuses.

"Iowa will make the difference," she said. "If Barack doesn't win Iowa, it is just a dream. If we win Iowa then we can move to the world as it should be. And we need your help in making that happen."
(emphasis mine)

Typically, meeting expectations in Iowa is nearly as important as who actually wins, so candidates are careful about their public comments on the importance they place on a victory.

On Thursday, Obama's campaign made it clear that they were optimistic about their chances in Iowa but didn't consider it essential that they win.

"Every campaign has said it's important to do well in Iowa, and that's our goal," said Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for Obama's Iowa campaign.

Vietor said the campaign will continue, regardless of his showing in Iowa.

Spokesmen for Clinton and Edwards also declined to predict how their candidates would do.

"We are not setting any expectations for ourselves," said Mark Daley, a spokesman for the New York senator's Iowa campaign. "Obviously we hope to be successful in Iowa." He declined to describe what "successful" would mean.

Historically, three candidates from each party remain viable after Iowa, with those who finish fourth or worse losing steam and quitting the race relatively soon. That process could be even faster this cycle because of a compressed campaign schedule that's jammed a series of primaries and caucuses earlier in the calendar.

Anyone else scared.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Today Iowa, Tomorrow the World !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:44:15 AM »
So who wrote that little bit for them, "One World Government" Soros?

Barack is just an empty suit spawned by the Daley machine.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:31:03 AM »
Edwards is the front runner in the latest Iowa poll.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 05:15:39 AM »
Anyone else scared.
Not really...

IMO he can't beat Hillary in the primaries. Regardless of what the left might want us to believe America isn't ready for a Black president (even one that's half white). Even the lefties (except for the most hard core ones), when the curtain's closed and no one can see will not vote for him.

But who knows - he might win the primaries and get the nod - stranger things have happened. If it did I wouldn't want to be Barak Hussein Obama and I'd sure stay off the streets as much as possible.

There's a whole lot of really determined whack jobs in this country. If Obama got elected I don't think he'd be around to assume the presidency and if he did well...

The US just isn't there yet.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 09:30:29 AM »
Werewolf, I don't know what country you're talking about.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 04:37:16 AM »
Take off the rose colored glasses, look around a bit and you'll figure it out.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 06:35:22 AM »
It has nothing to do with his skin color to me.  I don't think he has any meaningful experience and I don't like his politics.  Same answer for all the other Democrat candidates.  I think Barrack would have done better either staying in the Senate longer or going for a Governorship.

Colin Powell probably could have done it as a Republican if he had wanted it, not that I know much about his politics.

I am sure there are some people like Werewolf is referring to, but I doubt there would be enough if the right man came along. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 02:24:51 PM »
Take off the rose colored glasses, look around a bit and you'll figure it out. 

No glasses, here.  Maybe you see more racism than average, maybe I see less.  But from what I see, America is perfectly good and ready to elect a Black president.  If Mr. Black Candidate was the only alternative to the other guy, race wouldn't be of much concern. 

Not that many people really care about race that much (and if they do, they probably don't even vote).  They might not want Obama to marry their sister, but most Democrats are not going to be too put off by his skin color.

In a way, though, your words might be self-fulfilling prophecy.  If enough Democrats fear that the unwashed masses are secret racists, they won't nominate Obama.  Not because America isn't ready, but because some people thought we weren't ready.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »
In a way, though, your words might be self-fulfilling prophecy.  If enough Democrats fear that the unwashed masses are secret racists, they won't nominate Obama.  Not because America isn't ready, but because some people thought we weren't ready.

This may actually be happening as we type.

It's bizarre: what kind of guy wouldn't vote for a black person, but would vote for a woman president? It seems that you're catering to a segment of the population that you're not going to win anyway if you're an anti-Obama democrat.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 02:47:28 PM »
Well, I would vote for a Black but not a woman.   grin   Actually even I, the raging sexist, would vote for a female president if she seemed conservative enough. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 06:21:58 PM »
If Obama does get the nomination, I'm gonna puke.  Not because I have anything against the man, but because I know that the media coverage from the convention tot he general election will be nothing but race-baiting stupidity, each and every night, ad nauseum. 

Obama has nothing going for him other than his skin color.  If not for that, he'd be just one more empty suit and nobody would pay attention.  If he ends up the Democrat nominee the media will do their liberal duty and try to turn him into a saint.  But the only thing they'll be able to say about him is the usual race-based politically correct drivel.  God spare us 6 months of that...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »
It's not the racial horse and pony show that I dread; it's months (maybe years) of fawning adoration of this God come down from on high.  Ya know, kind of how the right-wing corporate media treat Bush right now. 

OK, just kidding about that last part.  But aren't we all sick and tired of the worship of the ground on which Saint Barak treadeth? 

Can you imagine the grief we'll hear if he is nominated but loses the election?  Ugh.  The race-baiting will last forever. 

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 05:02:04 AM »
Gotta agree with mechag.  The country could work with a black leader, but one with experience.

Heck, I can think of one black woman who could probably lead the country.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Iain

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 06:25:16 AM »
Although I'm speaking as an outsider I reckon you might just have a point there. If so that's going to be a problem for almost any black presidential candidate who doesn't have a near perfect record as a political heavyweight.

Anyway, I want you to be right so that my long term prediction of the identity of the first black president of the US will come about. Will Smith is the man.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Paddy

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 06:31:08 AM »
It's not the racial horse and pony show that I dread; it's months (maybe years) of fawning adoration of this God come down from on high.  Ya know, kind of how the right-wing corporate media treat Bush right now.

For a fleeting moment there, I though you had an epiphany-a fistful on the road to Damascus moment.

Then my heart sank into deep despair once again as I read

OK, just kidding about that last part.

laugh

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 01:53:25 PM »
Riley, do you really think the mainstream media worships Bush?   shocked   I know you're not that looney, so you probably just misunderstood.  When I said "right-wing corporate media," I was referring to major media outlets like The New York Times, CNN or CBS.  In case you haven't seen it, a lot of leftists are claiming that the mainstream media are biased to the right. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »
In case you haven't seen it, a lot of leftists are claiming that the mainstream media are biased to the right. 

Well, they are, you know - about 2 degrees to the right of Lenin and Marx  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin