Author Topic: Kid arrested in my class  (Read 7900 times)

HForrest

Kid arrested in my class
« on: March 07, 2005, 01:27:41 PM »
28 February 05, approximately 1345 hours, 9th grade study hall classroom. I was just sitting in this classroom, reading a book- it's as boring as hell. Suddenly, the door swings open. The assistant principal and two plainclothes police officers rush in, very swift and calm. I looked outside the door to see a police officer holding an AR15. The officers inside the room grabbed a student (who I did not know) not far from me, patted him down, and walked him outside the room, grabbing his backpack on the way. It was all very quick and silent. Not a word was spoken, really.

Anyway, someone called an organization named "WeTip" which is an anonymous crime reporting hotline. The police department was advised that this kid had a "kill list" and a weapon. He did have a kill list, but no weapon.

Although he had a hit list, which is wrong (I'm not sure about arrestable), but that's not really what concerns me so much. What concerns me is that anyone can just call in a single anonymous phone call, and have anyone led away by the police. Also, about the police officer with the AR15- Is it just me or is that overkill? The department in this little town of less than 25,000 issues an AR15 to every single officer in the force. There's one in every car. So, even if that is somehow okay and not an over-militarization of a smalltown police department, bringing one into a high school? I would have thought 3 handguns would be enough against a fifteen year old. Guess not. I suppose they were concerned about the possibilty of him taking a hostage, but I still think it was unnecessary.

What do you think?

nico

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 01:37:11 PM »
I have no problem with cops having AR15s and shotguns in their cruisers.  You never know when there's gonna be another W. Hollywood shootout.   That being said, I don't think they're necessarily appropriate for every situation.  From what you described, I'm not sure that an AR was appropriate, but it's better to be overprepared than underprepared.

crt360

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 01:44:58 PM »
The department in this little town of less than 25,000 issues an AR15 to every single officer in the force.

Holy crap!  Most of the little towns around here are lucky enough to get a few shotguns and a mini-14.  One local department was raked over the coals for having an "arsenal" (which didn't even come close to an AR15 per man).  The citizens seem to be at odds with the police and don't like paying taxes for weapons that have never been needed for their small law enforcement efforts.
For entertainment purposes only.

spacemanspiff

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 01:46:47 PM »
So, even if that is somehow okay and not an over-militarization of a smalltown police department, bringing one into a high school?

uhoh, my AR has transformed me into a militarization,uhh, person, or something!

just cause i buy a guitar does not make me a musician.

Although he had a hit list, which is wrong (I'm not sure about arrestable), but that's not really what concerns me so much. What concerns me is that anyone can just call in a single anonymous phone call, and have anyone led away by the police.

see the problem is that nowadays, kids attention spans is so short, they MUST write things down in order to remember them.

back in my day, i could commit any number of things to memory and never leave a paper trail.

not that i had 'hit lists', but a good memory was helpful in cheating on tests. (lessee, the multiple choice answers in numeric order to the questions on the test are: C D A A B D C).
Wear a Yellow Armband!

HForrest

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 01:48:32 PM »
I don't have a problem in general with cops having AR15's. It's when cops have ARs but civilian's can't that I don't agree with it (I live in California).

spacemanspiff

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 02:05:39 PM »
then gawshdarnit! when you turn 18 you better stomp your way to the voting booth and start making your voice heard!
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Michigander

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 02:09:32 PM »
Combat-wombat, how did you know he had a "hit list"?

At this point, I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that the police had more information or evidence against this individual than the anonymous tip. The tip may have started the investigation, but there were probably other things found once the investigation got going.

Then again, maybe not.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

HForrest

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 02:30:28 PM »
Nope. It's been confirmed by the police and the school. He did have a kill list, and it all happened because of one anonymous tip.

griz

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 03:01:31 PM »
I think what he means is the police may have had the list before the arrest, instead of arresting on one tip.

And I agree, long guns sound like an over reaction against an unarmed individual. Of course I wasn't there, but maybe there was something else. Like maybe whoever turned over the list said the student was armed?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

bratch

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 03:13:24 PM »
The officer did remain outside during the incident which sounds like it was handled professionally.

I'm assuming they did not know he was unarmed.

Perhaps the officer could have kept a lower profile than he did but to me it sounds like a well run arrest in a bad situation.

Whats the old saying "When going to a gunfight take a rifle and a friend with a rifle"

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 03:44:56 PM »
I have a "kill list" too, but everything on it is computer equipment or software.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Andrew Wyatt

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 03:50:09 PM »
could someone define kill list for me?

If the cops dragged a coworker out of work under similar circumstances, would you feel the same way?

Michigander

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 03:58:57 PM »
could someone define kill list for me?

If the cops dragged a coworker out of work under similar circumstances, would you feel the same way?

Depends.

In this hypothetical, am I on the list?   :shock:
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 04:21:48 PM »
Heh, Andrew, I have no idea what  "kill list" really is, but am guessing it's a list of people (or in my case, things) that you would like to kill or see killed.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 05:37:29 PM »
I don't have a kill list so much as a "people I'd like to get Amoebic dysentery" list. I have no idea what the penalty for that is, but I've never actually written the list down, either.

client32

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 06:08:50 PM »
I would hope that they had various, extremly creditable tips.  If this is the case, I don't have a problem.  Since we won't know the whole story though, I can't say for certain.  If a one classmate/co-worker with a grudge is able to cause all of this, then I have a problem.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

HForrest

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »
From what official sources have said, it was one tip. One. From an anonymous phone call, too. And since when do people go to jail for a piece of paper?

griz

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 01:57:09 AM »
Kill list? I'm more along the lines of Mark Twain. At least I think it was him. He said I have never wished someone dead, but I have read obituaries with pleasure.

kfranz

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 04:18:22 AM »
From what official sources have said, it was one tip. One. From an anonymous phone call, too. And since when do people go to jail for a piece of paper?

You don't.  You go to jail for crimes.  You can get taken down to the Police station if you are suspected of committing a crime, and where it goes from there kinda depends on your answers to their questions.  

I'm in agreement with the others who wonder why people write stuff like this down... rolleyes

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2005, 07:40:41 AM »
If there was a tip that there was an kid in school with a weapon and a kill list, I woud expect the police to arrive armed and arrest the kid.  If there was no kill list or weapon, the kid should be let go, and the person that made the call should at least be attempted to be found.

I wouldn't want to make an arrest against a kid that potentially has a weapon without some backup.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

doczinn

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2005, 03:09:22 PM »
hey, how do I subscribe to a thread without replying? I can't find the button.
D. R. ZINN

one45auto

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2005, 06:10:20 AM »
Griz,

The quotation you're looking for is one I've been using as my signature line.  Wink
"Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another."

~ H.L. Mencken

"I've never killed a man, but I've read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction."

~ Mark Twain

griz

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2005, 07:47:10 AM »
Hello 45,
Do you know where the line came from? I like him as an author but don't know if that line is from a book, conversation, article, or whatever.
Thanks, Griz

Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2005, 09:21:04 AM »
I have a "kill list" too, but everything on it is computer equipment or software.

There's a "kill switch" on my dirt bike; now, I'm afraid to push it!

Seriously, though, the public school system is so full of unintentional (?) consequences I don't know where to start. They make you go, they dumb you down, they teach propaganda, they ban guns, cops come when it's safe - not when it isn't. If I was braver I'd say the whole mess was designed to enslave us.

Sawdust

• friend
Kid arrested in my class
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2005, 09:49:22 AM »
hey, how do I subscribe to a thread without replying? I can't find the button.

Bottom left of the page: "Watch this topic for replies".

I dunno what exactly happens (i.e., mode of notification), but I clicked on it...

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.