Author Topic: Wal-Mart exits gun business...  (Read 12612 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Wal-Mart exits gun business...
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
A victim of your own negligence.

I suppose that applies to rape victims as well Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »
I haven't been in a wally world in years now.

A wise local gunstore started carrying S&B and underpricing wal-mart's overpriced WWB, and another local one has sales on Blazer Brass that are cheaper than Wal-Mart. So I give them all my business. There's another gunstore that has kept to the model of "keep it high and they'll come sit around and BS and not buy", and their old-style-packaged ammo is covered in dust.

Give me a good price, and I'll go elsewhere. Two out of the three stores underprice Wal-Mart. Gets them a lot of business!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »

Wrong.  If you're raped, your insurance premiums don't increase.  If you can't secure your belongings, however, it'll cost you.  As well it should.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

Remember, they're from a state where you have to have a state-approved gunsafe by law if you don't want them all having state-approved trigger locks, and if someone breaks in and the guns weren't locked in the safe, it's all your fault.

When you only have one world perspective where you've spent your life, it tends to limit your outlook. You know, how you can't describe sunshine to someone who has spent their life in a cave? You can't describe non-statist freedom to someone who has spent all or most of their life in a statist state. It's the only reality they can comprehend. I run into this a lot with people who have spent their entire lives in MA or CA. smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 04:28:46 PM »
How secure is secure?  You do know that no security is 100%.  It serves only to provide various levels of difficulty in order to deter the less dedicated.  Someone who is "in it to win" WILL have your guns regardless of your efforts.

I've heard of folks having entire gunsafes (safes, not cabinets) stolen from their basements.  Having moved and empty one before, I can say that's a level of determination most don't have.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »
How secure is secure?  You do know that no security is 100%.  It serves only to provide various levels of difficulty in order to deter the less dedicated.  Someone who is "in it to win" WILL have your guns regardless of your efforts.

I've heard of folks having entire gunsafes (safes, not cabinets) stolen from their basements.  Having moved and empty one before, I can say that's a level of determination most don't have.

Chris

California codified "It's the victim's fault for being robbed of their guns" in 2002 and added further Brady text in 2007.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12087.php

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »

Chris

California codified "It's the victim's fault for being robbed of their guns" in 2002 and added further Brady text in 2007.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12087.php

It baffles me that anyone would willingly choose to live in California.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 04:39:33 PM »
Remember, they're from a state where you have to have a gunsafe by law,

You're wrong again.  There is no such law.  Prove it or retract that lie.

t baffles me that anyone would willingly choose to live in California.

You seem baffled by a lot of things, HTG.  laugh

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 05:12:06 PM »
t baffles me that anyone would willingly choose to live in California.

You seem baffled by a lot of things, HTG.  laugh
Mostly just you and your... ah... quirky beliefs.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »
If you couldn't secure the first one, why should you have another one? 

Okay, I'm sending you the bill for a $6000 safe. Mainly, because anything less than that is pretty much only a RSC, and the safes that I can actually afford might be able won't keep out a slightly motivated burgler with a prybar, or a lazy one with a saw.

I haven't been in a wally world in years now.

A wise local gunstore started carrying S&B and underpricing wal-mart's overpriced WWB, and another local one has sales on Blazer Brass that are cheaper than Wal-Mart. So I give them all my business. There's another gunstore that has kept to the model of "keep it high and they'll come sit around and BS and not buy", and their old-style-packaged ammo is covered in dust.

Give me a good price, and I'll go elsewhere. Two out of the three stores underprice Wal-Mart. Gets them a lot of business!

Believe me, if only my gunstores would do that...Walmart would lose my business so fast it wouldn't even be funny. I will only deal with one gunshop in town that has reasonable prices, but he is rarely open and doesn't stock much. I ain't asking for much. Just decent .22LR, .30-30, 9mm, 7.62x39, 12 gauge, and 7.62x54R. Just get somewhat close to WW prices, within a couple of dollars, and keep a decent supply in stock, and treat me decent, and I will be a very loyal customer.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
No wonder Americans are reviled around the world.

Where 'around the world' are Americans reviled?

Are you implying I hate Americans? Or the other non-American posters on this forum hate Americans?

Do you think people in India hate Americans? Or in China?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »
Apparently, they're not 'exiting' the gun business, only keeping better records

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24114145/

Keeping better records, and cutting a deal with a pack of rabid gun-grabbers.  Those of us who gave the OP a cursory glance already knew that.   rolleyes

Ole Paddy.  At one point in time, his political views seemed almost reasonable.  He's been drifting farther and farther to the left, and now he's almost completely sold out to the dark side.   sad

(Now he's going to tell me it's something beyond right and left, I wouldn't understand, the little guy, the corporate tyranny, the Founding Fathers wanted us all to get a living wage, etc. )
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 08:37:44 PM »
Apparently, they're not 'exiting' the gun business, only keeping better records

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24114145/

Thus the sarcasm (irony?) in the original post.  Whatever it was, it wasn't particularly subtle.

Quote from: carebear
Well, they will be, after the boycotts...  grin

What I'm trying to figure out is how they'll store that much video.  There are thousands of stores nationwide and a gun transaction takes a while.  If they are keeping them for LE from this point forward, that's gonna burn some memory.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 02:10:03 AM »
What I'm trying to figure out is how they'll store that much video.  There are thousands of stores nationwide and a gun transaction takes a while.  If they are keeping them for LE from this point forward, that's gonna burn some memory.

Depends on how much they keep of each transaction and the quality at which they record.  Data storage is cheap.

Chris

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 05:36:12 AM »
I can see why this came about.

2 days ago at work  I was told to pick up line 1 immediately.

I grab the phone
Me: "This is J.J. how can I help you."
Caller: "This is ***** a Dispatch with the City Police Department. I have an officer in route to a call I need to know did you sell a shotgun to a ***** today."
Me: "Hold on let me go to sporting goods and check."   I rush to sporting goods and am trying unsuccessfully to get a response from the other managers (4) if they did a gun sell.  "Ma'am she tried to buy a gun today but it was delayed"
Caller: Delayed what do you mean
Me: Explains delayed.
Caller: Did anyone else buy a shotgun today.
Me: Not today.

-----

Turns out she was trying to buy the gun to kill her self and a friend called the cops.  They wanted to make sure she didn't have it to change how they approached her.

It was an odd situation. 

How many times a day does Wal-Mart inc. get some sort of call like that.  It would be nice if we had a way to input on a computer that info.  Instead I had to dig through a filing cabinet and pull out this months Proceed, Delayed and Denied forms.  Then I had to pull out this months Completed sales.   As it was I was rushed and forgot where stuff was. 

I would want to know the specifics of implementation before I make a judgment.

We had to pull video for the officers to confirm or deny this (so she could be helped if it was her)

I notified everyone that selling her a gun at this time is not a good idea.  A little sticky note on her form and an E-mail is really not the best way to do this.

All they are doing is storing all the data that they already have. AND making sure that tougher background checks are inplace for those handling the guns.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 05:39:01 AM »
How many times a day does Wal-Mart inc. get some sort of call like that.  It would be nice if we had a way to input on a computer that info.  Instead I had to dig through a filing cabinet and pull out this months Proceed, Delayed and Denied forms.  Then I had to pull out this months Completed sales.   As it was I was rushed and forgot where stuff was.

No.

The actions of a single criminal or mentally disturbed individual do not justify the violation of the privacy rights of the law-abiding.

If it was input in a computer, it would be shared. It would be used for "suspects" by lazy cops. It would be hacked. It would be used in profiles, by government or marketers. It would go to people it shouldn't go to, maybe even anti-gun sorts who would use it to harass. Confidential Wal-Mart security video ends up on YouTube. Do you really think the contents of that wouldn't be dumped onto a flashkey by some Bradyite who got a job at Wal-Mart specifically to do it?

There is one form, the 4473, that is run through the NCIS check and then goes away. That is all that is acceptable for a gun purchase.

Also, why do you have denied forms filed? Here, I believe, if someone gets "denied" on their NCIS check, local law enforcement is notified and a cruiser shows up at the store.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 05:42:15 AM »
There is one form, the 4473, that is run through the NCIS check and then goes away. That is all that is acceptable for a gun purchase.

The form never goes away.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 05:47:08 AM »

The form never goes away.

I'd meant that the record of it goes away at the other end other than the identifying number. It's not filed in a computer system to be hacked. If Wal-Mart did anything with those forms other than lock them up in case of investigations, as paper forms, if they started scanning them, it'd be lawsuit time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
I wish someone around here would sell S&B.  I end up buying a lot of ammo at gun shows.  There are a couple of ammo sellers in the Houston area that hit all the major gun shows and have decent bulk prices. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 06:38:16 AM »
I wish someone around here would sell S&B.  I end up buying a lot of ammo at gun shows.  There are a couple of ammo sellers in the Houston area that hit all the major gun shows and have decent bulk prices. 

I like it. It's very clean and accurate, and the boxes are a lot smaller due to a more efficient plastic tray that holds the rounds.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 07:05:48 AM »

Same here or why can't the smaller shops sell WWB?  I have only seen WWB at Walmart and Blaine's Farm and Fleet.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 07:39:13 AM »
I was in Wally World on Sunday in Columbus, Ohio, on the far east side.  Stopped by the gun counter to look at prices on ammo, and there were no firearms.  When I assked, the clerk said that Wal Mart no longer sells firearms.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »
I have only seen WWB at Walmart and Blaine's Farm and Fleet.

You go to Blaine, huh?  Do they still have their theater program? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »
I have only seen WWB at Walmart and Blaine's Farm and Fleet.

You go to Blaine, huh?  Do they still have their theater program? 

Huh?  Blaine's Farm and Fleet is a chain of farm and home stores.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »
I was in Wally World on Sunday in Columbus, Ohio, on the far east side.  Stopped by the gun counter to look at prices on ammo, and there were no firearms.  When I assked, the clerk said that Wal Mart no longer sells firearms.

Yet another case of A store thinking they are ALL stores.

He's wrong, go back in and call him a damn dirty liar.

That kind of deliberate ignorance and misinformation should be loudly and publically mocked.  it's the only way they'll learn.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."