Author Topic: Higher CO2 levels may be good for plants: German scientists  (Read 5982 times)

Desertdog

• friends
I don't know why they say "CO2 May" be good for plants, when for years greenhouse growers have experimented with high CO2 levels in their greenhouses and everytime the plants just loved it and far exceeded normal growth patterns.

Higher CO2 levels may be good for plants: German scientists
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080708124018.8nen8ib9&show_article=1

The dangerous rise in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere may be troubling scientists and world leaders but it could prove to be a boon for plants, German researchers said Tuesday.
Increasing exposure to carbon dioxide appears to boost crop yields, Hans-Joachim Weigel of the Johann Heinrich von Thuenen Institute for rural areas, forestry and fisheries in the central city of Brunswick told AFP.

"Output increased by about 10 percent for barley, beets and wheat" when the plants were subjected to higher levels of carbon dioxide, Weigel said.

The Thuenen Institute, which has been monitoring the phenomenon in fields since 1999, trains CO2 jets on the plants so the gas reaches 550 parts per million in the air around them -- the level expected in the atmosphere by 2050.

Weigel said the studies have indicated that while greater CO2 exposure appears to spur growth, it can also undermine the quality of the produce.

He said the next step in the study would be to evaluate the effect of higher temperatures on plant growth -- which scientists cite as another consequence of higher CO2 emissions in the atmosphere.

Weigel said that while the institute's findings may prove surprising to some, they are not intended to undermine the drive to slash CO2 emissions.

"This research is not intended as an argument for doing nothing to curb the rise of CO2 levels," he said. "It is to find out what the effects would be."

Other studies have presented a more mixed picture about the impact of higher CO2 levels on plants, and there is uncertainty about its effects on soil fertility and which plants benefit most from more CO2.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Higher CO2 levels may be good for plants: German scientists
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:31:17 AM »
Hmm... if plants grow more from higher CO2, wouldn't that be a self-regulating cycle?  More fast plant growth = more CO2 consumed.

Where the heck does all the CO2 already in the atmosphere come from, anyway?  I mean, if trees and plants are constantly consuming carbon from the air, how is it replenished in nature?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:48:23 AM »
Animals breathing is one source, volcanic activity, seismic activity freeing up underground deposits, and fires are other major sources.  I'm sure it is more complicated than that of course.

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:49:07 AM »
Hmm... if plants grow more from higher CO2, wouldn't that be a self-regulating cycle?  More fast plant growth = more CO2 consumed.

Where the heck does all the CO2 already in the atmosphere come from, anyway?  I mean, if trees and plants are constantly consuming carbon from the air, how is it replenished in nature?

Animals exhale CO2.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:59:39 AM »
41magsnub - you missed a very large contributor, more significant than any of the others you listed.

Nick - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle that's not meant to be insulting, the answers are out there, or at least the beginnings of the answers are there.

Other studies have shown that in normal circumstances (i.e - not in an artifical greenhouse) CO2 may be a limiting factor to growth, but where an excess is introduced, other factors quickly become limiting i.e nutrients from soil etc.

Course the agenda here is undermined by the article itself - 'may be good for plants' eh? Weigel said the studies have indicated that while greater CO2 exposure appears to spur growth, it can also undermine the quality of the produce.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:01:26 AM »
Wasn't this news 10 or 20 years ago?  I guess their test results are news.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:12 AM »
What caliber for giant killer tomatos ?   shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:23:16 AM »
Wait. Let me get this straight. The earth has some self-regulating mechanisms that mean that we're not all going to die in a CO2-induced sauna that will melt our faces off? This is heresy. Someone must control these thoughts.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:32:37 AM »
I'm doing my part, I just planted a bunch of pear trees in April.

Tree Police=> police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:41:09 AM »
Wait. Let me get this straight. The earth has some self-regulating mechanisms that mean that we're not all going to die in a CO2-induced sauna that will melt our faces off? This is heresy. Someone must control these thoughts.

You need to make another effort to get it all straight. Nothing posted above should have led you to the conclusions that you have drawn.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:42:07 AM »

You need to make another effort to get it all straight. Nothing posted above should have led you to the conclusions that you have drawn.

You mean we ARE going to have our faces melted off? grin
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:44:15 AM »

It was in response to this:

Truth is, the earth does have all sorts of self-regulating mechanisms, which is why it has lasted as long as it has. Man's contribution to CO2 levels is miniscule compared to the total level of CO2 and also compared to natural events such as volcanic eruptions.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »
What about the CO2 produced by White Liberal Guilt?

What do your studies show for the increased CO2 produced by wealthy, coddled sandal-wearing trust fund babies that want to impose their guilt on others?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:48:27 AM »
Well, I forgot about that. It's a wonder we're not all suffocating from that CO2. And that's not even considering the greenhouse effect.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 06:59:17 AM »
Truth is, the earth does have all sorts of self-regulating mechanisms, which is why it has lasted as long as it has. Man's contribution to CO2 levels is miniscule compared to the total level of CO2 and also compared to natural events such as volcanic eruptions.

There is a system of self-regulation, the carbon cycle. Human beings have been pulling deep stored carbon out of the ground and bunging it into the atmosphere at a quicker rate than the system can keep up with. That's the scientific explanation as to why CO2 levels as measured at Mauna Loa have risen steadily from 320ppm in 1965 to around 380ppm now, without significant blips around volcanic eruptions.

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/climate-change/dn11638

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 07:00:48 AM »

There is a system of self-regulation, the carbon cycle. Human beings have been pulling deep stored carbon out of the ground and bunging it into the atmosphere at a quicker rate than the system can keep up with. That's the scientific explanation as to why CO2 levels as measured at Mauna Loa have risen steadily from 320ppm in 1965 to around 380ppm now, without significant blips around volcanic eruptions.

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/climate-change/dn11638

And just a single eruption of something like Krakatoa completely eclipses every bit of carbon humans have put out since the first campfires. rolleyes

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 07:02:38 AM »

HERETIC !!!!! UN-BELIEVER !!!!!! UNCLEAN !!!!!

[grabs torch and pitchfork]

BURN HIM !!!!

grin angel laugh cheesy
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 07:08:41 AM »

And just a single eruption of something like Krakatoa completely eclipses every bit of carbon humans have put out since the first campfires. rolleyes

What else do they bung out? Overall, what was the effect of Krakatoa on the climate?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 07:18:30 AM »
"What else do they bung out? Overall, what was the effect of Krakatoa on the climate?"

For starters, something that is a far worse greenhouse gas than CO2... Sulphur Dioxide.

After the 1883 eruption there was a marked effect on global climates. It's reported that temperatures fell globally (largely thought to be due to the reflective nature of the ash ejected into the upper atmosphere) and weather patterns were significantly altered.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 07:25:13 AM »

HOLD CITIZEN!  PUT OUT THAT TORCH!  It's EMITTING GREENHOUSE GASSES!

Wink

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 07:34:14 AM »

What else do they bung out? Overall, what was the effect of Krakatoa on the climate?
search on "the year without a summer" or "eighteen hundred and froze to death" aka 1816

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Also Discovery Channel did a show on it:  http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/earth/year_without_summer/intro/index.shtml

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »

Eventually, the organic matter is oxidized - either as decaying vegatation, or millenia later as a fossil fuel.  When that happens, the carbon goes right back into the air.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 10:59:08 AM »
You would think all the greenies would be singing the blues because of the CO2 from the Kalifornia fires.  Not a peep out of those people...............me, I help the global warming issue all I can, no emission controls on my motorcycles, boat, lawn mowers, generators, and I burn wood for  heat.......chris3

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »

HERETIC !!!!! UN-BELIEVER !!!!!! UNCLEAN !!!!!

BURN HIM !!!!

grin angel laugh cheesy

Uh, won't burning him produce more greenhouse gases?
How about we slather him in honey, stake him to the ground, and let the ants do the rest.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »
What caliber for giant killer tomatos ?   shocked

Fool, your guns are useless.

Everyone knows the only effective weapon is Puberty Love followed by vigorous stomping.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.