Author Topic: If you could move anywhere, where would you move??  (Read 5748 times)

Avalanche2082

If you could move anywhere, where would you move??
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:02:20 PM »
I have an opportunity to move to any state in the US. Where should I go? I will be renting a house. Wanted Wyoming but no rental homes there. I would like an area where I can ride Atv's easily and don't have to drive far to ride, also low crime areas and quiet. Thanks

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: If you could move anywhere, where would you move??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:08:15 PM »
I keep hearing some guy on here spout off about this place called Montana.  He says everyone talks of moving there but never does.  Maybe you should give it a try.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:23:26 PM »
A house on the west coast with a section of private beach in a beach town that isn't crowded and isnt filled with rich liberals.  Such a place does not exist, sadly.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »
do you have to have income?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Avalanche2082

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:52 PM »
no i do not have to have income but don't want to spend over 900-950 max on rent.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:03:13 AM »
Alaska.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 04:56:02 AM »
South Dakota. West river, specifically. No state income tax. Hunters & shooters are welcome. Good hunting and fishing. Nice people.

Montana works, too, if you stay away from the Bozeman area and Glacier park (where the critters from California and Oregon are taking over).

Wyoming is OK, too, but the oil industry has taken over any housing that might have been available a few years ago.

Utah. If you're not Mormon, stay out of SLC.

Northern Minnesota (except Duluth) if you can stand cold weather for 7 months out of the year.

Western/central Pennsylvania.

Tennessee.

Kentucky.

East Texas - if heat and humidity won't kill you.

Idaho - watch out for Californians there, too.

These would be my choices, in order of most-to-less desirable.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

doc2rn

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:04:02 AM »
My list in order would be:
Missourri
Kansas
Montana
Texas
Kentcky
Tennessee

and if you can find a place in your price range Colorado.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 05:15:04 AM »
I would move to a place with more land than I have now, but not the forty acres I used to have.  5-10 would be fine with me.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 05:21:58 AM »
No rental houses in Wyoming? 

My folks lived in WY for almost four years and they rented a house for part of it.

Check the local newspapers for rentals not das intertubes.

Places I would live if could.

NE Iowa, Northern Minnisota, Montana, Florida, Missouri or Upper Penisula Michigan.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 05:37:22 AM »
1st choice would be anywhere in the SW Va/East TN/Western NC region (probably SW Va, in Roanoke County for the schools).

2nd choice would be coastal NC.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 05:58:21 AM »

Not to burst your bubble, but thats wrong.
SLC is very liberal and mixed by utah standards....the mayor is Rocky Anderson....do some research on that dbag....
Sugar House, and the east bench communities also.  The West and Southern suburbs are thicker, and not as much fun to live if you're not a Mormon....but still its not that bad.  Being the religious minority is a little odd, but its not like the MoMos are making the women wear Burkhas....just special underwear....
Utah women are actually pretty farking hot, too...unitl you realize how much they all look alike from all the years of inbreeding.  cheesy

As to the OP:

Me....my place would be Eastern NC.  But it doesn't fit your criteria.
Utah would fit your bill, as would parts of Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana....etc.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 06:00:57 AM »
One of three places, right now.

1. Back to Central Pennsylvania.

2. The high desert in NE New Mexico.

3. Coastal Maine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 06:12:46 AM »
I am looking at Arizona.  May actually wind up overseas also.  Going to depend on what job I get after this deployment.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:05 AM »
the mayor is Rocky Anderson....do some research on that dbag....

While I agree that Rocky is a moron, he's no longer the mayor. It's Ralph Becker now. It remains to be seen if he's any better than Rocky Anderson.

As for avoiding those darn mormons, Salt Lake and the east side are the best bet, as Jamis mentioned. Saint George is also not as mormon and it's close to Vegas. But if you go anywhere rural in Utah, you'll find that the majority are mormons.

Don't really know why it matters if your neighbors are mormon or not. People are people no matter what their religion is. You'll find nice people and weirdos no matter where you choose to live and no matter their religious affiliation or lack thereof.

But of course I'm just a mormon weirdo. What do I know?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 06:33:40 AM »
Why rent Huh?

If you have no need for a local income, you can still get some screaming good deals on older houses in small towns in central and eastern Montana.

Beware of the small town gossip thing, though  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 07:04:20 AM »
Homer, Alaska.  Hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, ATVing and fabulous scenery.  The growing season is long, allowing you to grow almost anything except oranges and bananas and the moose come right into your yard.  There may be better places to live but I haven't seen one yet.

OBTW-- no state income tax and I don't think there's a property tax either.  On top of that, after establishing residency the state pays you to live there.  It's called the permanent fund dividend and varies from year to year.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 07:05:47 AM »
Whats wrong with Mormons? Every one I have ever met was a decent, law abiding hardworking kind of guy.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 07:15:41 AM »
Whats wrong with Mormons? Every one I have ever met was a decent, law abiding hardworking kind of guy.

That's been my experience so far as well.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 07:44:13 AM »

Chris

Yes, that's correct, but my sister lived in SLC for a while, in Sugar House. She can tell you, if you're not Mormon, there is most certainly tacit discrimination in business there. First question, what ward you were in? Tongue

That's the only place it occurs.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 07:48:58 AM »
If it wasn't so #%$! far from work, I'd want to live on the seacoast here. It's gorgeous. Even when storms roll in, they're magnificent to watch. I know someone who lives on an isolated cove of an island in Maine, and that's sheer magic, that sort of place. Just a view out to the Atlantic, and the sort of place where you could so easily envision a pirate ship sailing in centuries ago, seeking hidden anchorage from the Navy.

There's something amazingly reassuring about the rhythmic sweep of a lighthouse's beam out to sea, too. Not sure what it is, but it's sort of a beacon that all is well.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 08:00:16 AM »
Hm.  First question: If I could move anywhere, where would I move?  

I wouldn't.  I love where I live, and while there are innumerable other cool places, and other places that could be better in terms of career, economy, etc., I love living in Lansing and think it has a great mix of features that will allow me to be happier here than anyplace else.

Other than that?  I fell in love with Colorado, and although it reeks of liberality, Fort Collins was a nifty little town in a gorgeous area.  For about two weeks I was researching taking the Colorado bar.  

I don't think there is a perfect place to live, just a place that is perfect for a particular person/family.

Lansing is incredible for us because it is big enough that there's always a lot going on, much of that because of the state government and MSU being here.  It's small enough that it's hard for one's commute to exceed fifteen minutes.  It's small enough that one can walk across town.  On the way home from the local shopping center yesterday, I passed by an up-and-coming couple of blocks of rejunenated mainstreet-type places, a good hospital, a baseball stadium, the city market, the state capitol, the county courthouse, the state supreme court and court of appeals, one of the municipal power plants, and a lovely river.  And I live in a quiet residential neighborhood.  I like that kind of density.  Makes it easy to really enjoy one's hometown.  We've got everything here.  Yeah, that includes some slums and the odd serial killer (that was last summer...), but it also includes a big university and all of the good stuff that goes along with that, including, incidentally, all kinds of public service and volunteer organizations.  It seems even the poor people in Lansing have pretty good resources.

The economy here sucks, and has most of my life, but the legal community is small enough that by cultivating some key relationships, the odds of me making a good career here are high.  And the adjunct that supervised a mediation role-play this morning works a block away, across the street from the Capitol.  

Also, great lakes.  And Great Lakes.

Yeah, I know the point of this thread was not to wax lyrical about mid-Michigan.  Which isn't really my point either.  My point is that you aren't gonna find the perfect place to live by looking for the perfect place to live.  Because chances are you aren't the only one to think so, and it'll get crowded and expensive beyond all reason.  On a list of the top 500 places to live, I doubt Lansing even places.  But for us, it is absolutely perfect, to the point where we are pretty much abandoning our plans/hopes to move up North in a few years.  Sometimes it just happens.  I have no advice on how to make it happen, other than be open to finding the neat stuff about wherever you end up, and then moving on if it doesn't work out the way you want.  

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »

Chris

Yes, that's correct, but my sister lived in SLC for a while, in Sugar House. She can tell you, if you're not Mormon, there is most certainly tacit discrimination in business there. First question, what ward you were in? Tongue

That's the only place it occurs.

What Maned said. An acquaintance lived in SLC for a while and experienced exactly that. No credit at certain stores, etc. if you weren't Mormon. The individuals are probably fine but the 'collective' sometimes prefers its own kind.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »
My point is that you aren't gonna find the perfect place to live by looking for the perfect place to live.

Sometimes the perfect place is where most people don't want to live, for one reason or another. Wink

Like around here for instance, we have climate (almost always either too hot or too cold or too windy), ticks, rattlesnakes, cactus, noxious weed invasions, very little economy for most professions (I telecommute), very high wildfire danger most summers, poor drinking water, and rough narrow roads.  Such things tend to weed out the people who might otherwise live here.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
If I could live anywhere, I'd live in London, but only under special circumstances where I get to keep all of my guns and knives and don't have to drink tea.