Author Topic: Chicago Tribune: It's Palin for VP  (Read 76466 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Chicago Tribune: It's Palin for VP
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »
McCain just hit a grand slam and I'm gonna go on record right here & now and predict that Biden will make a political gaffe and the big "O" will regretfully accept Joe's resignation and announce Hillary as the V.P. nominee.  Anything less and the Dem's ticket is sunk.   laugh   

You would not want to be the President if Hillary was your VP.  Unhealthy, that.

Add me to the list of Dems that are voting Republican for the first time.  Does boiling water take away the evil feeling?   grin 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »
Some of the smears that are coming out are frankly unbelievably nasty - especially (though its not a surprise) over at the Daily Kos with its claims over her baby son.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2008, 10:37:35 PM »
Anyone know where she stands on Real ID and the Patriot Act?

She is challenging REAL ID and Alaska has passed legislation prohibiting state and local agencies from participating or assisting in PATRIOT Act investigations. However, I don't remeber if  it were she or Frank Murkowski that signed it.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »
My first post at APS. I was getting sick of THR's rules on politics. Though they are a great forum, I just think that banning political discussion at this very important time for our gun rights to be an intelligent decision. That being said:

I could not be happier with McCain's pick for VP. I was deathly afraid he was going to pick the Blissninny Romney.

Although I do think that her selection was definitely a "strategic" move.

Well Combat Zoomie,

APS exists because at one time we were all over at THR participating in a politics furball that got a bit contentious at times. Creating APS and sending us over here to discuss political matters took a little starch out of us and the discussions have a little more substance and way fewer personal attacks.

Welcome aboard.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

taurusowner

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2008, 11:24:55 PM »
My only qualm is that APS is not nearly as popular as THR.  I wish there was even half as much traffic here as THR.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2008, 12:00:36 AM »
Giga, LBJ was added to the ticket to deliver the South.  He was the token non-Catholic Southern dude.  We take it for granted now, but it was quite a breakthrough for us at the time.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2008, 01:08:54 AM »
McCain just hit a grand slam and I'm gonna go on record right here & now and predict that Biden will make a political gaffe and the big "O" will regretfully accept Joe's resignation and announce Hillary as the V.P. nominee.  Anything less and the Dem's ticket is sunk.

That kind of "gaffe" would be unprecedented and would sink the ticket anyway.  And let's be very clear on one thing: Obama and Hillary are not just political rivals.  They despise each other.  I'll be the first to say I don't want Senator Lady Macbeth standing behind me, but he's already shut her out; there is NO WAY his pride would let him change his mind now, and pick her.  At this point, I'm not sure she'd bail him out, knowing she'll be in a very good position to run in 2012.

---

Hey, a token is a shell, someone put in place because they meet the demographic.  Palin might not be known, but she's no lightweight.  In Alaska, they call her Sarah Barricuda.   cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2008, 02:38:12 AM »
I suppose the next question is - should Alan Colmes be fired?  From a huge cannon into the sun?

http://www.alan.com/2008/08/29/conservative-family-values/

rolleyes rolleyes

"Make peace, you fools"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2008, 04:44:14 AM »
I suppose the next question is - should Alan Colmes be fired?  From a huge cannon into the sun?

http://www.alan.com/2008/08/29/conservative-family-values/

rolleyes rolleyes

What the hell is this? The 17th century?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2008, 05:48:15 AM »
For those asking about LBJ, there's an interesting column at Townhall.com here.

Intune

• The Shakes
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2008, 07:33:39 AM »
You would not want to be the President if Hillary was your VP.  Unhealthy, that.
RD, I had totally forgotten about those poor souls who have been clintonized.   shocked  Dang, sorry Big "O."  That was a close one... 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »
So was LBJ, but nobody was afraid to say it.

Could you explain that one a bit further?  I'm very interested.

i was around then and don't remember the word token being used
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »
I think it's common knowledge and always admitted by all involved that LBJ was to deliver Texas and the South.  That's just politics.

Joe K. Sr. had already bought the NorthEast.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
Bogie, I need this on a bumper sticker, posthaste:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »
What, a little red 'X'?  Why?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »
McCain just hit a grand slam and I'm gonna go on record right here & now and predict that Biden will make a political gaffe and the big "O" will regretfully accept Joe's resignation and announce Hillary as the V.P. nominee.  Anything less and the Dem's ticket is sunk.   laugh   

Add me to the list of Dems that are voting Republican for the first time.  Does boiling water take away the evil feeling?   grin 

Just don't scrub too hard.  And maybe start hitting the sauce a little harder.  laugh
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2008, 03:25:25 PM »
A reasonably good article (one of about three in the entire British media, sadly) about Palin from the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/william_rees_mogg/article4647709.ece
"Make peace, you fools"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2008, 06:31:48 PM »
Bogie, I need this on a bumper sticker, posthaste:

I'd so buy one
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KBHeiner7

« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »
The voters?  Seems simple, to me.

Wrong.  Voters should not be able to change rights explicitly listed in the bill of rights.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2008, 06:43:53 PM »
There's an interview on CNBC about energy policy right now (from a week ago or so I think).

Coming across less shrill voiced conversationally than the yelling she was doing at the convention. (that was another negative thing folks were pointing at, but was situational not typical)

Coming across knowledgeable but natural, not "lecturey".  Showing ANWR and the industry.

I don't want to sound all "boostery" but more and more I think this will end well.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2008, 10:52:52 PM »

Just don't scrub too hard.  And maybe start hitting the sauce a little harder.  laugh

Will vodka do it?  Or should I switch to grain on election day?   Is there anything with a higher proof than grain?   grin
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2008, 03:21:37 AM »
Is there anything with a higher proof than grain? 

Well, if you're voting Republican for the first time, you might want to add in prayer.  It's the drug of choice for many.   grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

onebigelf

« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2008, 04:23:37 AM »
Zeke,

She's been a kick ass and take names, no-nonsense governor.  She's had the honesty and itegrity to take on the corruption and sleaze at both the local and state level.  NRA life member, pro-life, hunts, fishes, pilot mother of 5 (including one with Down's Syndrome).  Has the track record and more experience then BHO as an executive (Mayor and Governor).

The experience issue is no problem.  When they hit her on the fact that she's been governor for a year, point out the BHO has only been a senator for 3 yrs....   and Palin actually shows up for work every day.

John

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »

Commanding Alaska's Guard w/ 24/7 missile defense
Posted By Uncle Jimbo
One area of Sarah Palin's background that may help her is Alaska's unique role in our national security and homeland defense.

Alaska is the first line of defense in our missile interceptor defense system.  The 49th Missile Defense Battalion of the Alaska National Guard is the unit that protects the entire nation from ballistic missile attacks.  Itâ¬"s on permanent active duty, unlike other Guard units.
As governor of Alaska, Palin is briefed on highly classified military issues, homeland security, and counterterrorism.  Her exposure to classified material may rival even Biden's.
She's also the commander in chief of the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF), a federally recognized militia incorporated into Homeland Security's counterterrorism plans.
Palin is privy to military and intelligence secrets that are vital to the entire country's defense.  Given Alaska's proximity to Russia, she may have security clearances we don't even know about.
According to the Washington Post, she first met with McCain in February, but nobody ever found out.  This is a woman used to keeping secrets.
She can be entrusted with our national security, because she already is.

Her experience in keeping the homeland safe fits perfectly with her image as the competent American woman.It's not the same as having your finger on the button, but it a heckuva lot closer than Biden or Barry O has ever been.
It will be tremendous fun to watch a couple of complete political tools like the Hope&Change duo attempt to attack a record of substance not words, a record of action not bloviation, a record of kicking ass and taking names against what now.......?

Photo: Soldiers of the 49th Missile Defense Battalion defend America from an intercontinental ballistic missile threat 24 hours a day, seven days a week, while maintaining  competency in all warrior tasks. (Photo by Sgt. Jack W. Carlson III, Unit Reporter, 49th Missile Defense Battalion.)

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.