Author Topic: What is Firefly?  (Read 14180 times)

SomeKid

Re: What is Firefly?
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2007, 09:20:11 PM »
You seem to miss a VERY big point: they never had the CHANCE to take shots at anyone else, because it was cancelled early. What were they supposed to do: pick a faith to belittle each week? "Hey... let's show some Muslim fanatics in next week's episode! And maybe some Wiccans being flakey the week after that!"...

Actually, they could have, and should have done exactly that. Not only so they don't come off as anti-Christian, but it would add a different element. It is entirely possible they intended to poke fun at others, but from what I have seen, there is no evidence to back it up.

Maned, if you read the Bible you would know it is not written to be viewed as a set of allegories. Now, there were parables, but they were clearly marked so as not to be confused with the truth.

Fistful, just gona give you the tried and true +1.

wm,
Plus it is rather anti-government.

Heck, that the greatest part of the show!

Avenger, now, I will fight you for Kaylee. Sides, Safron won't be stabbing me in the back. I don't think I would ever un-chain her for example...

You can have Inara though. She might be really pretty, but I couldn't see myself being happy with a chick who supported my lazy butt by being so very close to the guy down the street...

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2007, 12:23:51 AM »
Yes I do believe that Kaylee is almost the perfect woman.  But at the same time who wouldn't want a chance to "tame" River?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SomeKid

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2007, 09:17:58 AM »
But at the same time who wouldn't want a chance to "tame" River?

Me! You can have her, I will take Kaylee; thank you very much!

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2007, 09:21:07 AM »
I guess I just have very different taste than most. In my opinion, the women of Firefly, in order of overall atrractiveness are:
Zoe, Yo/Saff/Bridge,Kaylee,River and Inara. Not that I'd throw Inara out of bed for eating crackers...
Hmm, looking at this on paper, and considering my wife, It seems as though I prefer my women with a bit of aggression to them...
Hi.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2007, 11:04:42 AM »
Not that I'd throw Inara out of bed for eating crackers...

Its the only reason she'd be there. grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Kaylee

• friend
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »
Oh, it's great fun.

1. I don't think the show is intentionally anti-Christian, nor do I think the folk in Safe were meant to be representations of Christians in general. Heck, it's one of the few shows I can think of in the recent past that had a notably Christian protagonist.. sure Book wasn't aggressive as some preacher-types, but that just ain't his way. I must admit, I really like his character. And yeah, Mal does have a pretty big chip on his shoulder for God.. that's part of his character arc (watch that battle scene that starts out the series again, now that you know his character). That said, if I recall correctly Joss (the creator of the show) is an atheist, so that may well poke out around the edges a bit.

But then again, he's also a statist leftist, and I suspect he's anti-RKBA as well... that despite that he could make a show that really appeals to conservative and libertarian gun nuts speaks right highly of his skill as a storyteller I think... no Roddenberry-esque utopian nonsense.

2. There are some folk out there now doing radio plays and even a couple fan films in the same setting. "Into the Black" comes to mind.. it has the usual problems of fan film efforts (low budget, oddly young and sometimes misplaced cast, not always professional acting) - but the theme song they put together is just awesome.

3. Jayne absolutely rocks. He's just so cute as he fights like mad to keep from growing a conscience...  and he's mighty easy on the eyes to. Smiley

-K

jselvy

• friend
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2007, 03:42:34 AM »
I'm not sure y'all were aware of this but Universal has a three picture deal with Joss over Serenity. So universal has the option of making two more movies in that vein.
I for one hope that they do.
BTW Check out the Bedlam Bards "On The Drift" folk type music inspired by Firefly/Serenity. I have a copy and I really enjoy it.

Jefferson

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2007, 07:54:55 AM »
Kaylee --- good to see you here !  Where ya been hidin' ?   smiley

Jayne absolutely rocks
He knows shooting, too.  Watch him in War Stories when he invades Niska's fortress.  He goes forward shooting totally not blinking and focussed on his target (I don't know why he was shooting his pistol when he had a rifle, though).  Contrast with Zoe when she pops out from behind cover shooting two pistols at once:  blinking and flinching.

Kaylee

• friend
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »
Oh, I just don't make it over this way that often. Good to see y'all again though. Smiley

Didn't the guy who played Jayne make some nice gun-nuttery comments once upon a time? I do recall getting the impression he was abnormally well grounded in reality for a guy named Baldwin.. :p

-K

and ooh! I found a lead on a guy making metal shells of Mal's pistol. I'm thinking I might have to get one or two, and have the innards milled out to mount around a real live j-frame. Cheesy

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2007, 05:14:23 PM »
Kaylee,

I think I've read that Adam Baldwin has annoyed many anti-types on various web forums.  According to Firefly, The Official Companion, Volume Two, they also used one of his knives in the show.

Weren't you in the process of having a duplicate of Mal's pistol made ?  I'm trying to remember from the old THR thread without actually looking it up. 

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2007, 08:39:45 PM »
I don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but they are thinking of making season two, it's in the planning stages and they are trying to figure out delivery methods.

http://www.fireflyseason2.com/Index.asp

Kaylee

• friend
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2007, 10:29:51 PM »
Oooh - the season two thing would be neat. Heck, even radio plays downloaded as mp3s would be awesome, provided it was the same cast and quality of writing.

And Silver - yeah, I have been. Played with a couple ideas - one a copy of the original around a revolver (which now that someone else got around to making the shrouds for I'll prolly manage within the year) and the other trying to eventually make and honest-to-gosh semi auto approximation of the thing. THAT will be years away, but if I get access to a good shop again someday it'd be a fun experiment.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2007, 12:04:25 AM »
huge stylistic borrows from a handful of anime shows

I don't remember anyone saying it was unique.  Firefly borrows a lot from the classic British science fiction show Blake's 7, but then again so does everything else.  There are some elements of Cowboy Bebop in it, but more than any anime it borrows from westerns.  In many respects it *is* a Western, with some science fiction elements thrown in.  The originality lies in the combination of genres and the unique twist Whedon puts on it. 

Christians are portrayed as uneducated backwards kidnapping evil who burn people as witches at the stake.

Just as a point of information, they're never identified as Christians.  And the "bible" referenced in the show often has no resemblance to the Christian bible.  There are several quotations that never came from a known biblical text. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2007, 03:19:34 AM »
Perhaps it's the Orange Catholic Bible.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2007, 08:15:51 AM »
Kaylee,

Firefly, The Official Companion, Volume One, page 78, has an article on how Mal's gun was built up from a Taurus 85. 

Some site was selling a replica.  Here's an eBay sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Firefly-Serenity-Mals-Pistol-Prop-Replica-Kit_W0QQitemZ290131317760QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60361QQcmdZViewItem

Firefly, The Official Companion, Volume Two, page 110, has an article on how Jayne's gun Vera was built up from a Saiga 12.

Season 2.  That would be a dream come true, but I'm skeptical.  I've seen that site around for quite a while now.  As Zoe said in the movie, " Talkin' ain't doin' ".

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »
Perhaps it's the Orange Catholic Bible.   cheesy

I think it's Josh Whedon's made up bible.  Which when you think about it is a good way to avoid getting entangled in any serious sectarian issues. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »
Or it's Quentin Tarantino's bible.  Did you ever look up Ezekiel 25.17?  The movie version is somewhat embellished. 

And in case you didn't get the earlier reference, the "Orange Catholic Bible" is referenced in Dune.  So far as I know, it is fictional.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2007, 08:51:12 PM »
For those who are liking Kaylee Frye, she is guest starring as a doctor on Stargate Atlantis 13 or 14 times this season. She's been on there a few times before as a Wraith.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2007, 06:16:29 AM »
Which when you think about it is a good way to avoid getting entangled in any serious sectarian issues.
That didn't work here.   smiley

bdutton

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2007, 10:20:58 AM »
Avenger,
After watching the movie, it is my theory that Book was an "operative" or whatever the enemy guy was in the movie. 
"Do you know what your sin is?"  it just seems like the next career path for a man who has had all his views of the world and people shattered.  After losing all faith in people like that, he might have been looking for a greater purpose.

Another theory floating around the 'verse is Book was a senior alliance commander in the battle of Serenity Valley and was appalled at the level of destruction he had a hand in.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2007, 04:20:45 PM »
Nah, I don't buy that.  He doesn't have the gravity or arrogance of someone who's been in that kind of command.  I'd go with the ex-operative or former intelligence agent theory. 

Kaylee

• friend
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2007, 06:10:49 PM »
Oh, being brought face to face with the consequences of your bad decisions can have a way of shattering your arrogance. The operative past ties up nice I reckon, it just seems a little too polished to my mind. Then again, so does most of the movie. Meh. Each their own.
Just as long as they don't wait ten years then give another trilogy to George Lucas to write, I'm happy. Smiley

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2007, 07:08:03 PM »
My wife just brought home disc 1 from the library.  I'm watching Part One of the pilot.  Intriguing stuff. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »
I must thank my secret benefactor for giving me the complete set.  Woo-hoo!   laugh 

I watched the rest of the pilot episode(s) when I got home from work.  I kept saying to myself, "I love this show!"  "This show is swEET!"  I have been converted.  I really enjoyed the way Mal's lines sound so late-nineteenth-century. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2007, 06:07:42 PM »
Just to share something I remember from "Jaynestown".
Later in the episode, River brings some pages from the bible back to Book, and she says something about "I took these from your symbol, but now they've turned to just paper."  I found that to be very interesting.  Somewhere in River's messed up but psychic mind, she saw the bible as something more than a book of paper.  After the pages were removed from the whole book, the pages lost their meaning for her and became "just paper".
Did the writers intend to imply that River perceived something special about the bible that is normally not perceivable to the human eye?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage